Bottles or cans of soda or beer in checked luggage @ 30,000 ft [Merged threads]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Bottles or cans of soda or beer in checked luggage @ 30,000 ft [Merged threads]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15, 2009, 4:12 pm

Programs: SK Gold, ITA Executive, Sixt Diamond, Hertz PC, Avis PC, IHG Platinum
Has anyone tried to check in some cans of Guinness and transported them OK to their destination?. I am only asking as they differ from some other cans of beer as they have a widget in them.
I have taken soft drinks before and had no problems, just not entirely sure about this.
Old Oct 18, 2009, 2:43 pm

Programs: SK Gold, ITA Executive, Sixt Diamond, Hertz PC, Avis PC, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by jms_uk
Has anyone tried to check in some cans of Guinness and transported them OK to their destination?
hate to quote myself, but they were ok. 4 cans in total, in hold luggage, LHR-ZRH & ZRH-BEG.
Old Oct 23, 2009, 7:29 pm
Moderator Communications Coordinator, Signatures

Programs: TubWorld, Bar Alliance, Borratxo Legendarium
Will soda explode in checked baggage?

If someone asked you to bring a case of their favorite diet soda (in cans) on a transatlantic flight... what would be the likelihood that said case of canned soda would be negatively affected by the changes in air pressure and temperature in the belly of a plane?
Old Oct 23, 2009, 8:36 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3MM
The belly of the plane is at the same pressure as the cabin (otherwise the passenger floor would have to be pressure-tight, and the symmetry of pressurization forces on the aluminum tube hurtling through the sky would be lost). So, if cans don't blow up on the flight attendant drink carts, they don't blow up in the luggage hold. Now if the baggage handlers drop-kick your suitcase onto a spike you may have problems...
Old Oct 23, 2009, 10:13 pm

Programs: *A
Pack them well and you should be a-ok.
I've brought glass bottles and most recently a six pack of beer all the way from NBO.
Old Oct 23, 2009, 11:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Other folks have covered this, but I've brought soda (and other non-carbonated soft drinks) back from abroad nearly every time I've flown back to the US - probably around a dozen times, and usually several containers. Never once had a bottle (glass or plastic) or can break or leak.

I've never been clear on whether they actually need to be declared, but seeing as the ag inspectors are generally rather humorless sorts, I always do just to be on the safe side.

"2x 1 ltr iced tea soft drink" etc.
Old Oct 24, 2009, 12:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nkedel
I've never been clear on whether they actually need to be declared, but seeing as the ag inspectors are generally rather humorless sorts, I always do just to be on the safe side.

"2x 1 ltr iced tea soft drink" etc.
I always check YES to the food question and itemize it on the back even though I have things that are allowed (e.g., tea, chocolate, etc.).
Old Oct 24, 2009, 1:29 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by missydarlin
If someone asked you to bring a case of their favorite diet soda (in cans) on a transatlantic flight... what would be the likelihood that said case of canned soda would be negatively affected by the changes in air pressure and temperature in the belly of a plane?
Should be no problems whatsoever- just pad it well enough so if it bounces around by the baggage dudes, they don't pop

Which varietal of diet? My diet cheerwine may have changed a bit... then again, it could be that its cheerwine, or that its kinda getting old... but it seemed there was more carbonation in it...
Old Oct 24, 2009, 7:47 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage Gold
Originally Posted by Sludge82
Hi
I'm going to visit friends in the US tomorrow, and want to take them some "English" soda (a litre bottle or two), but don't want them to explode in my luggage!

Does anyone know if it is safe to take bottles of carbonated drinks in your hold luggage please?!

(I'm flying on Continental, and I've done various google searches, but can't find a definite answer!)
you'll be fine. I once accidentally left my 1 liter soda bottle in the front pocket of my checked bag. Came out fine.
Old Oct 25, 2009, 1:02 am

Programs: *G
ive brought glass-bottled drinks often in checked luggage

last time however i brought back some salsa and bbq sauce from texas, and half of then were smashed due to mis-treatment by UA and in part due to my poor-padding
Old Oct 25, 2009, 10:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
Several years ago when Pepsi Max was not yet available in the U.S., I grought 4 1.5 liter plastic bottles back from Norway. Only 2.5 bottles made it. I felt something dripping on my feet when I picked up the suitcase in customs at MSP.

So yes, I would say that sometimes carbonated beverages in plastic bottles don't always survive. Even though the cargo hold is pressurized, the pressure differential inside & outside the bottle is greater than at sea level, making them more likely to burst if bumped or jostled.

I've never had any incidents with glass bottles (e.g. wine).
Old Nov 11, 2010, 1:29 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, AAdvantage
Checking in cherry coke?

I live in Canada, Cherry Coke is not available and I have a friend who is just dying for it. Now, I can carry home some from SF but is it safe to check it in? I dunno, pressure problems?
Old Nov 11, 2010, 1:34 pm

Programs: Aeroplan ,Starwood,Priority Club,Amex Platinum,Airmiles,CIBC Gold
I took some soda in my carryon, before the liquid restrictions, and it exploded and soaked everything. Would probably do the same in the checked baggage. Not a good idea, in my opinion.
Old Nov 11, 2010, 1:39 pm

I used to collect coke cans and checked them. Just make sure to put it in a plastic bag.
Old Nov 11, 2010, 1:48 pm

Programs: UA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
I too have had cans of coke spew open in the cabin. (It was a bit embarrassing as coke started dripping down from the overhead compartment and having to own up to it being mine.) I imagine there is a certain amount of risk in checking it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.