Reload this Page >

Bottles or cans of soda or beer in checked luggage @ 30,000 ft [Merged threads]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Bottles or cans of soda or beer in checked luggage @ 30,000 ft [Merged threads]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29, 2009, 10:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9000/4.6.0.167 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

Originally Posted by xanthuos
I'm considering checking a case (flat or 24 depending on the terminology YOU use) of beer on my flight tomorrow to Canada. I am going carry-on only on this flight, so there's no risk anyway to my clothes, etc. Since I have an allowance of 2 checked items and beer is more than twice the price in Canada than the US (about $40 Canadian for a case of 24), I thought I'd go ahead and pack a case.

Think there will be any problems with checking a case in its original cardboard packaging?
I would be sure to throughly wrap the box in something to absorb the tossing- as for having the cans in the case IDK - I personally would want some more padding between the cans...
Old May 3, 2009, 8:23 pm
BLT

Programs: Delta Platinum, Hyatt Gold,
wrap with bubble wrap

I take Tab with my sometimes when I go to Costa Rica. I wrap it in bubble warp and then wrap a black garbage bag around it and tape it shut. I really don't want a wet soggy bag when I get my luggage. Every few trips I have a can break. But I think you can only bring a 12 pack in without paying a duty. Not sure about that but you might check unless you know.
Old May 4, 2009, 2:43 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Amb Elite & LT Titanium, Hilton Diamond
I've done this a few times. Brought back about 72 bottles of Belgian beer that you can't get in the US. Of course for that I took bubble wrap and hard sided suit cases as I knew this is what I was going to do.

I've had no breakage as of yet.

Two biggest concerns.

1. Luggage weight. 50lbs is approx 30 bottles depending on the bottle.
2. Customs, declare what you have and they usually don't even blink, don't declare it and get caught and they can easily confiscate it. You are only allowed 1 liter of duty free alcohol, but that doesn't mean you can pay the duty on the rest if they insist (10% I believe).
Old May 4, 2009, 5:30 pm

Programs: DL Gold
I did some beer trading with a friend in Ottawa a few months back and ~20 bottles made it through with no problems either way, save one bottle on the bottom of the bag being shattered due, I'm sure to mishandling.
Old May 5, 2009, 7:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
I've brought dozens of cans and bottles home in checked luggage. Most recently, I brought 2 bottles of St Emilion Gran Cru Classe and a six pack of Kronenbourg from France. I've never had a problem. I usually roll bottles in dirty t-shirts or socks, ignoring the slight gross factor in favor of cushioning my beverages.
Old May 5, 2009, 5:01 pm

Location: NY by birth, BNA by choice - soon YXE, the SKY by virtue.
Originally Posted by beckoa
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9000/4.6.0.167 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

I would be sure to throughly wrap the box in something to absorb the tossing- as for having the cans in the case IDK - I personally would want some more padding between the cans...
To update, there were no problems and no losses to any of the cans.
Old Oct 13, 2009, 10:16 am

Programs: Aeroplan SE AND 1MM, HHonors Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum , L'Accor Platinum
Canned Soft Drinks - can one put items on checked luggage/baggage?

Of course, one can not bring them (for security reasons) with hand luggage.

The question is, whether one can bring bring some cans of soft drinks with the checked luggage. I am asking the question in terms of the partial pressure of the air in the cargo hold - if the pressure is too low, then the gas in the can would be able to potentially expand - and the can could then explode.
Old Oct 13, 2009, 10:48 am

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
They will be fine in your checked bags.
Old Oct 13, 2009, 11:16 am

Programs: DL Diamond, HH Diamond, Avis First
I would be worried that when the pressure goes down in the cargo hold, that the can might burst.
Old Oct 13, 2009, 11:23 am

Programs: NWA Platinum, HHonors Diamond, SPG, YX, AA
Cargo holds on -MOST- planes are heated to comfortable temps and pressurized. They store the dogs, cats and other crated pets with the luggage. I have on a few occasions carried drinks this way with out a problem, but I wouldn't recommend it, and I'd suggest you pack in such a way as to protect other items you might be shipping at the same time.
Old Oct 13, 2009, 11:27 am

Any liquids in checked bags should always be in a plastic bag.

I've only brought 1 can and it made it just fine. If you are bringing a 6 pack i'd make sure to wrap it in a garbage bag.
Old Oct 13, 2009, 11:27 am

Programs: AA, AGR, Choice Gold, CitiPrestige, TYP
I've checked canned soft drinks and have never run into problems. Just make sure to wrap the cans in something, just in case.
Old Oct 13, 2009, 9:36 pm

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
Originally Posted by Janus
I would be worried that when the pressure goes down in the cargo hold, that the can might burst.
It's no different from the cans in the galley. They don't burst.
Old Oct 13, 2009, 11:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by LarryJ
It's no different from the cans in the galley. They don't burst.
Just a little rougher handling... which is how I had my one loss...
Old Oct 13, 2009, 11:34 pm

Programs: krisflyer, spg, priority club, Hyatt Plat,
Originally Posted by csdf
[PEDANT]It does, just not very much compared to gases.[/PEDANT]
water behaves slightly differently than other liquids, at 4 degrees C it's in it's most contract state, as it gets colder and approach 0 it actually starts to expand - hence why glass bottles filled with water based liquids crack when put in a freezer.
the cargo hold is pressurised but it is not temperature regulated (well certain parts are for pets etc...). It is the fluctuation in temperature not pressure that is likely to cause a leak. So only put plastic bottles or cans in your luggage, the plastic and aluminium can expand and contract. Glass bottles of high percentage alcohol are fine as alcohol freezes at much lower temperatures. But bottles of beer or wine would be taking a risk - if you put the bottles in the middle of your case, surrounded by clothes then they would be well insulated and the temperature would not drop that quickly. Also if your luggage is placed in the middle of the hold surrounded by lots of other luggage it would also be insulated. However if you luggage is place on the sides close to the sides of the hold the temperature drop could be fast enough to bring the bottle temperature in the 0-4 degree range and may leak/explode.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.