Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

How is the market meltdown affecting your travel?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How is the market meltdown affecting your travel?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10, 2008, 9:43 am

Programs: AA LT Gold; BA Silver; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by gj83
The only issue i'm having is with all this travel on my personal life since my SO's job is down the tubes and he wonders why I'm not home like he is.
Yeah, my Ex was like that. He was incapable of amusing himself while I was gone. I'm leaving for 2 weeks of travel (India and Switzerland) today and I know my current dear husband will be just fine (and will take care of all the things on my "Honey Do" list!).

Anyway- after 6 years in a row of going to Europe at least twice a year, we didn't this year. It just got too expensive. We've also decided, since I have a lot of vacation, to make a liesurely drive from Kansas to Myrtle Beach this Christmas and avoid the hassle factor of flying. Our investments are a bloodbath, which is disconcerting since my husband is retired and I'm 10-12 years from retirement, but we never spent the investment income on travel or any other living expenses.

There are cost-cutting mandates at my company but I'm building a team in India, which actually provides a cost-saving alternative. Now if they start requiring Coach travel to India, I'll be VERY annoyed. I have good, solid business reasons to be in London so I'd just schedule a few overnights both ways, but it would still hurt.

Finally, I'm keeping an eye out for discount Business Class fares to Europe in the spring, figuring demand will be down. My husband is 70 and over 6 feet tall- I hate squashing him into Coach seats. If they don't materialize, I'm going to keep accumulating enough AA miles for unrestricted seats in Business, and we won't travel to Europe till then.
Old Oct 10, 2008, 10:42 am

If gas continues to drop, do you think all the extra luggage charges might go away?
Old Oct 10, 2008, 11:06 am

Programs: Alaska 100K - MM, defender of shoes on the carpeted bulkhead 4ever, AA LT PLT, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia
My job is secure, but honestly, I just don't feel like spending a penny. Its going to take me four years to recoup some of my latest losses if I want to even try.

Travel -- as far as I'm concerned, take it or leave it right now.
Old Oct 10, 2008, 8:17 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, Hyatt Diamond (challenge), SPG Gold, all else steerage
If anything, I'm excited about our family's future European travel with a much cheaper euro/pound situation. We took last year's annual trip off for precisely this reason. Also hoping that low oil prices=lower TATL airfares!
Old Oct 10, 2008, 8:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: aa/ua gold; mar titanium. SPG till I die.
Looking at going other places such as Australia and Iceland, for starters.

My job is pretty secure as well but with the crisis picking up speed I get busier by the day

The GBP is pretty much at the same exchange rate that I received when I first went in 2003.
Old Oct 10, 2008, 8:54 pm

I have the same job I had a year ago making slightly more money with ticket prices staying the same or slightly less, so my leisure travel has picked up lately. I have 8 trips between now and the middle of December. Half are personal,that equal about double what I have averaged in the same span in the recent past, and half that I booked just to make status.
Old Oct 11, 2008, 8:00 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA Gold
My travel has actually picked up. I now have 3 overseas trips scheduled. We just had a big re-org at work and now they cancelled all planned layoffs and in my new organization, I will go from flying international economy to paid C. It's kind of surrealistic at the moment.
Old Oct 11, 2008, 8:09 am

I have found myself tightening the belt lately. I flew coach class for the first time in a while last week, and I actually used a free voucher I had and flew on AirTran. And it was surprisingly comfortable and without incidence. I have been spoiled with all the upgrades I have been using and all the tricks I have learned on FT over the years!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.