Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Denominations of currency from ATMs

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 2008, 7:05 am

Programs: DL,EK
Originally Posted by SirJman
I really don't like going to a country like the UAE, and taking out 2000AED (nearly 600USD) and only getting 2, or sometimes 4 notes. It makes me feel horribly poor.

And disappears unbelievably fast too.
Emirates Bank (on Nasr Square, Al Wasl Road and in Bur Dubai near HSBC) has only ever given me 500AED notes even when pulling 5000AED from the ATM.

I once pulled 440,000,000 from a Turkish ATM and got 22 twenty-million Lira notes... about $300 at the time.
Old Sep 19, 2008, 7:06 am

Programs: QF WP (LTG), AA, SPG Gold, IC Plat Amb, Hyatt Plat, HH Gold.
I have found this too when visiting the US, and withdrawing cash.
In Australia the ATM's have $50 and $20 bills, but in all US machines I have used, have only been given $20's. Makes a problem if withdrawing a larger amount of cash for traveling expenses, or to lessen the foreign transaction fees, and ending up with a big wad of bills!
Old Sep 19, 2008, 7:53 am

Programs: KL Gold, SQ KF Gold, CX Green
Originally Posted by stupidhead
Citibank ATMs only give out $20 and $10 bills.
Last week I withdrew US$500 from a Citibank ATM in NYC and got a mix of 50's and 20's.
Old Sep 19, 2008, 7:56 am
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
Originally Posted by FlyinHawaiian
Most ATM have 4-6 cassettes in which the bills are loaded
Originally Posted by Non-NonRev
I wonder - how many cash magazines (or cartridges or trays) do modern day ATMs have?
Old Sep 19, 2008, 9:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
D'oh.... (thanks for the catch, I missed that on the first reading)

At my old S&L, we had about 15 machines in our home city. Because some of the machines were in highly-trafficed areas, if a machine was out of bills, or if it had a jam, etc, we had an after-hours (6pm to 11pm) two-person "go team" of corporate employees who would drive out and change out the empty magazine(s), or would perform very simple maintenance (I remember a small wire brush that would be used to clean a pesky sensor). The people who volunteered to be on the team were paid $50 per evening for carrying the pager (no cell phones back then), plus $25 for each "visit" plus mileage. Two people would be on each night's team, in order to maintain dual control.
Old Sep 19, 2008, 10:00 am
Oxb

Programs: Earthling, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by goalie
don't know about now where most atm's give $20's ('cept those in las ) but i am <sadly> old enough to remember when atm's first appeared and would dispense $5 & $10 dollar bills (but then again, that was also back when gas was below a $1.00 a gallon....)
I am old enough to remember ATMs dispensing $1 bills. In the 70s when I was in college I would withdraw something like $3 quite often. (Since that was all that I had) That would get six beers in a bar ^
Old Sep 19, 2008, 2:34 pm

Programs: UA MM/1P, EK Au, QR, TK, Marriott Life Ti, Hilton Dia, IC Dia, Hyatt Glob, Accor Pt, Shangri-La
When I was in college (only 10 years ago), the bank (M&T Bank, if I remember correctly) had an ATM that would dispense exactly the amount, including change, that the customer wanted. Kind of pointless, but interesting.
Old Sep 20, 2008, 2:18 am

Originally Posted by SirJman
I really don't like going to a country like the UAE, and taking out 2000AED (nearly 600USD) and only getting 2, or sometimes 4 notes. It makes me feel horribly poor.
I'm still waiting for a Singapore ATM that can dispense these:

http://www.mas.gov.sg/currency/curre...es__10000.html

(As of today, those are worth almost exactly US$7,000 a pop.)
Old Sep 20, 2008, 1:01 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold; BA Silver; Hilton Diamond
Thanks for the explanations as to why most ATMS are single-denomination. I remember when they were first introduced in NJ, you could actually select your mix of 10s and 20s, and maybe even 5's. Then, mysteriously, they all gave 20s and nothing else. So first they wean you away from dealing with humans and then they decrease the quality of the "self-service". Think they've been talking to the airlines?

I remember withdrawing $200 in the Vegas airport- and getting 2 $100 bills. Never happened to me except in Vegas.
Old Sep 20, 2008, 3:06 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM
I withdrew $100 recently from a BofA ATM at MIA and got a single $100 bill. (Which I wouldn't mind at all, if only merchants would accept them.)
Old Sep 20, 2008, 8:43 pm

Programs: SPG, NW Worldperks
The killer is when the $60 withdrawal or local equivalent is a $50 + $10, rather than 3 $20s.

At times, I've taken out $90, becaues I know worst case I'll get $50 + $20 + $20.
Originally Posted by Athena53
I remember withdrawing $200 in the Vegas airport- and getting 2 $100 bills. Never happened to me except in Vegas.
Vegas is pretty much the only place where $100s are normal. I think mainly because when you're gambling, it's a lot easier to put down a $100 or two to buy-in instead of 5 or 10 twenties. And it's a lot easier to cash out.
Old Sep 21, 2008, 1:09 pm

Programs: UA MM/1P, EK Au, QR, TK, Marriott Life Ti, Hilton Dia, IC Dia, Hyatt Glob, Accor Pt, Shangri-La
Originally Posted by smackfu
And it's a lot easier to cash out.
. . . and you're more likely to lose the full $100 than something less.
Old Sep 22, 2008, 12:12 pm

Programs: Delta FO, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond Elite
Originally Posted by smackfu
Vegas is pretty much the only place where $100s are normal. I think mainly because when you're gambling, it's a lot easier to put down a $100 or two to buy-in instead of 5 or 10 twenties. And it's a lot easier to cash out.
And Atlantic City...
And Biloxi...
And pretty much any gambling area...
Old Sep 22, 2008, 4:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

A friend of mine has a Citibank account precisely because (he says) when he withdraws $300 or more, he gets $50s.

I have only seen $100s and $20s in the US, personally.
Old Sep 22, 2008, 4:53 pm

Programs: Delta Gold
In NYC, the Citibank ATMs also give out $50s.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.