Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Oil prices continue steady decline, time for airline nuisance fees to end too?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Oil prices continue steady decline, time for airline nuisance fees to end too?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23, 2008, 5:19 pm

Originally Posted by MarqFlyer
+1

I don't have a problem with the total amount airlines are currently charging to get me from point A to point B. The problem I have is that they don't just build it into the price of the ticket so that consumers actually know the cost. As Carolinian says, fuel prices are just another of the airlines' expenses, like employee costs and maintenance. If we agree that the fuel surcharge concept is appropriate, what's to keep some airline from later implementing a "labor surcharge" the next time a union gets a better deal for pilots? Or a "maintenance surcharge" next time they upgrade the cabins?

Just tell me the *#@%!*% fare!
So your saying that clicking another button to find out the final cost is too much work for you?

I do find it annoying as well. But, like anything you buy online, you have to progress to the checkout to find out your final cost. If I buy a cd online, I'll have to make my way through to find out my final cost with shipping, tax, etc. And I would like to see it removed, but I hardly find it a big injustice.

You still get the final cost before you have to buy anything, it's a just another 5 second button click away.
Old Aug 23, 2008, 6:07 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by TheCrackedJack
So your saying that clicking another button to find out the final cost is too much work for you?

I do find it annoying as well. But, like anything you buy online, you have to progress to the checkout to find out your final cost. If I buy a cd online, I'll have to make my way through to find out my final cost with shipping, tax, etc. And I would like to see it removed, but I hardly find it a big injustice.

You still get the final cost before you have to buy anything, it's a just another 5 second button click away.
Not true at all. You don't know at the on-line checkout screen what your baggage fees will be, what your meal fees will be, what your beverage fees will be, etc. All of that is cleverly understated until you check-in and begin the journey, especially if you buy from a third party site like Orbitz or Travelocity.

(When I say "you" I refer to the casual traveler, the one who is probably going to be most surprised by the additional hidden fees. Most FT'ers know these things.)
Old Aug 23, 2008, 7:17 pm

Originally Posted by Diplomatico
Not true at all. You don't know at the on-line checkout screen what your baggage fees will be, what your meal fees will be, what your beverage fees will be, etc. All of that is cleverly understated until you check-in and begin the journey, especially if you buy from a third party site like Orbitz or Travelocity.

(When I say "you" I refer to the casual traveler, the one who is probably going to be most surprised by the additional hidden fees. Most FT'ers know these things.)
I and the other post were talking about fuel surcharges.

I also equate food, baggage, etc to be not in the same league. If I pay for a hotel, it's likely I won't know my final expenses due to pool fees, food, internet and a host of other things hotels charge for.

It's impossible to charge beforehand for those things because the airline can't weight your bags when your 500 miles away and pre-ordering a freaking $5 sandwhich or drink seems a little insane.
Old Aug 23, 2008, 8:13 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium

It's impossible to charge beforehand for those things because the airline can't weight your bags when your 500 miles away and pre-ordering a freaking $5 sandwhich or drink seems a little insane.
Again, not true. Just a couple of years ago all of that was included in the ticket price. That's the point that MarqFlyer was making....just tell us the full price.
Old Aug 23, 2008, 8:35 pm

Originally Posted by Diplomatico
Again, not true. Just a couple of years ago all of that was included in the ticket price. That's the point that MarqFlyer was making....just tell us the full price.
If they want to charge for bags separately, how are they supposed to collect the money beforehand? They have to wait until the person is at the airport to weigh the bags and collect the appropriate fee.

Just like your paying a hotel for a room. If you desire extras, like checked bags on a airline or gym access or pool access at some hotels, budget a little extra.

You used to have all that all that stuff included in many hotels of the past, just like airlines. But, times are changing. I still don't see it as deceptive. Although it is more inconvenient.
Old Aug 25, 2008, 1:36 pm

Programs: DL Plat, Marriott Gold

I do find it annoying as well.
Ummmm...who said anything about "work?" I understand that I can ultimately find the total price within a few clicks. The point is that I shouldn't have to.... My real gripe was with the annoyance, so I see you agree with me there....^

By the way, there is a big distinction between this and the shipping you pay on a CD. If I buy a ticket from JFK-LAX, the airline already knows the fuel surcharge they will add -- and it will be the same surcharge they add for your ticket too. Still they hide it until after I click that "next button" you refer to.

But if I select a CD on Amazon, the shipping charge will vary based on the delivery method/timing I select, and where I want it shipped. Thus, they don't add this up front because those charges vary from customer to customer. Apple, meet orange.
Old Aug 25, 2008, 2:18 pm

Ummmm...who said anything about "work?" I understand that I can ultimately find the total price within a few clicks. The point is that I shouldn't have to.... My real gripe was with the annoyance, so I see you agree with me there....^

By the way, there is a big distinction between this and the shipping you pay on a CD. If I buy a ticket from JFK-LAX, the airline already knows the fuel surcharge they will add -- and it will be the same surcharge they add for your ticket too. Still they hide it until after I click that "next button" you refer to.

But if I select a CD on Amazon, the shipping charge will vary based on the delivery method/timing I select, and where I want it shipped. Thus, they don't add this up front because those charges vary from customer to customer. Apple, meet orange.
You've never been to those comparison sites that give the final amounts that have tax and base shipping included when you want to buy something? Much, like I can go to orbitz or something and look at airfares that have everything included. If some third party sites can give you a cost like that, stores can give you the base final cost as well. Apple, meet apple.

Sure shipping will vary is someone wants upgrade or it needs shipped far away. Just like my fare on Air Canada will vary if I want to buy a upgrade, earn miles on the fare, check a bag, etc. It's still something that's an apt comparison.
Old Aug 25, 2008, 3:19 pm

Programs: DL Plat, Marriott Gold
You've never been to those comparison sites that give the final amounts that have tax and base shipping included when you want to buy something? Much, like I can go to orbitz or something and look at airfares that have everything included. If some third party sites can give you a cost like that, stores can give you the base final cost as well. Apple, meet apple.
Ummm...YOU were the one who first brought up the example of a CD, and YOU were the one talking about how you needed to "make [your] way through to find out [your] total cost with shipping, tax, etc." I was simply pointing out how this example is different, because the fuel surcharge for a given flight on a given date is ALWAYS the same, whereas the shipping costs for your CD may vary.

If those look like two apples to you, fine. But one of them has a thick orange skin....
Old Aug 25, 2008, 6:47 pm

Ummm...YOU were the one who first brought up the example of a CD, and YOU were the one talking about how you needed to "make [your] way through to find out [your] total cost with shipping, tax, etc." I was simply pointing out how this example is different, because the fuel surcharge for a given flight on a given date is ALWAYS the same, whereas the shipping costs for your CD may vary.

If those look like two apples to you, fine. But one of them has a thick orange skin....
Of course, I brought them up because they are similar for cripes sake. There's always a minimum shipping cost for an item for each store and that's usually never built in and it also never changes.

There's no reason they can't include the base shipping cost into the price. Then just have an extra fee for expedited, Alaska and Hawaii, out of country, ect. Just like there's no reason they can't include the fuel surcharge.

However, some online stores like Apple do just that and have "free" basic shipping with the cost included in the product. Just like some airlines have fuel surcharges built into their prices. Hence, it's a similar comparison. Yeesh.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.