Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Oil prices continue steady decline, time for airline nuisance fees to end too?

Old Aug 10, 08, 9:01 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

At least some airlines said that when fuel prices went down, they would drop those disgusting nuisance fees (fuel surcharges on FF tickets, first checked bag fee, etc.).

We haven't returned to old levels but, as CNN pointed out today, auto fuel prices have now declined for 24 consecutive days. Presumably the same is true for aviation fuel.

Has anyone seen a single giveback from a U.S. carrier? Does anyone expect one?

For me, the answers are "no" and "no." But I do expect further gutting of FF programs with fuel prices being given as a reason -- despite now being partially wrong.
Old Aug 10, 08, 9:44 pm

Programs: DL PM, .6MM; AA Plat; Marriott Platinum Premier
The nuisance fees were relatively slow in coming compared with the steep rise in oil prices, so I would expect them to be relatively slow in going away while oil declines. The airlines have a ****load of $15 and $25 checked bag fees to collect before they can make up for the additional fuel costs incurred so far.
Old Aug 10, 08, 10:12 pm
Suspended

I would not recommend holding your breath for these fees to go away. I feel that the only way, as a consumer, to send the message is to not fly those airlines that charge these fees.
Old Aug 10, 08, 10:14 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by D1andonlyDman View Post
I would not recommend holding your breath for these fees to go away. I feel that the only way, as a consumer, to send the message is to not fly those airlines that charge these fees.
I certainly agree. In fact, I've never known an airline nuisance fee that EVER went away. The airlines are very two-faced, but in the case of the baggage fees, maybe Southwest can shame the "legacy" carriers into dropping them.
Old Aug 11, 08, 1:34 am

Programs: AA Plat/1MM
I would bet money that we will NEVER see these fees dropped.
Old Aug 11, 08, 5:00 am

Programs: DL, QF, QR Silver, MR Lifetime Gold
Keep in mind that airlines hedge jet fuel. As such, fluctuations in oil prices don't immediately affect the airlines; significant variations in price over time certainly take their toll though.

Another issue is the fact that these fees have been idiotically added, instead of raising the fares proportionally to the higher fuel costs.
Old Aug 11, 08, 5:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RichardInSF View Post
I certainly agree. In fact, I've never known an airline nuisance fee that EVER went away.
Buy On Board certainly is one such nuisance fee, and it got eliminated by a number of European airlines like OS and LX.

AF have more than once rescinded parts of their fuel surcharges when the oil price has been falling. Other airlines have done this, too (I am only certain about A3 and OK because that's who I fly, but I am sure they weren't alone).

I am sure there are more examples...
Old Aug 11, 08, 5:51 am

Programs: HH Gold, Marriott Bombay Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by RichardInSF View Post
At least some airlines said that when fuel prices went down, they would drop those disgusting nuisance fees (fuel surcharges on FF tickets, first checked bag fee, etc.).
Which airlines said that? While I recall them using high fuel prices as justification for adding the fees, I don't remember any saying they'd be rescinded if fuel prices declined.
Old Aug 11, 08, 6:48 am

Programs: DL Silver, AS MVP, UA Silver, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, National Exec Elite
Most of the airlines have business models forecasting profitability at $75-$85 a barrel. I doubt you'll see any fees go away unless oil drops below that threshold.
Old Aug 11, 08, 6:53 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat - 2MM miles
Not going away, ever. Just a sucky fact of airline travel now
Old Aug 11, 08, 10:38 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Diplomatico View Post
Which airlines said that? While I recall them using high fuel prices as justification for adding the fees, I don't remember any saying they'd be rescinded if fuel prices declined.
The quote I saw was from Delta, but unfortunately, I don't remember the specifics.
Old Aug 12, 08, 5:19 am
In Memoriam

Programs: JAL Global Club, One World Sapphire, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Diplomatico View Post

JAL has said it also.
Old Aug 12, 08, 6:20 am

Programs: Miles&More Blue, SPG Platinum
Airlines that increased their fuel surcharge will maybe lower it but probably not before late fall when the holiday travel season is over and not as much as they have increased it. All these baggage fees will probably stay.
Old Aug 12, 08, 8:40 am

Programs: DL GE
Yes oil prices are going down, but what was it in 2000? $20, $30?

We aren't there yet, and we can't say "it's over" because this may just be a fluke. If you would expect the airlines to remove these fees now, your crazy.

If you expect them to fluctuate with the market your even crazier.

If it gets down to maybe $50 a barrel and stays there for a couple years we may be on to something.
Old Aug 12, 08, 9:17 am
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM), France and TravelBuzz!

Location: Paris, France, AF F+ Rouge pour toujours, Flying Blue whatever, LH FTL, HHonors Gold, formerly proud SCC Executive, now IC Ambassador, BA down to nobody, Grand Voyageur Le Club
AF has, in the past, lowered the fuel surcharge three times, when the price of oil has gone down.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: