Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Stupid things you've heard other passengers/travellers say...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Stupid things you've heard other passengers/travellers say...

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26, 2008, 11:05 am
yad

Programs: CO Plat
Originally Posted by kevinsac
Sunday morning, I had to take Southwest on the city-pair I was flying! And I ran into one of those. "I don't want to wait in line to get a boarding pass down there. Can't I just get it at the gate?"
To be fair to this guy, I used to get my boarding pass at the gate all the time...back in the ancient days of air travel when you could clear security without a ticket and just turn up at the gate.
Old Jun 26, 2008, 11:05 am

Programs: UA 1K, HGP Diamond, HH Diamond, MR Platinum
Not sure that ignorance and stupidity are the same thing, and I'm not calling anyone stupid.

BUT, I was amused last month when, while seated in an exit aisle on a 319, the fellow in the middle stretched his legs way out and then turned and said to me in a really serious tone "This seat sure has a lot of leg room. I'm not used to this".
Old Jun 26, 2008, 12:29 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP
Not say, but do...

in SEA, one of the many gates AS uses is D2. So its fun to watch Ma Kettle attempt to take her seat in row two.
Old Jun 26, 2008, 12:35 pm

Overheard in the row behind me a while back

Flight out of DFW.... "So I got this inheritance and called a stock broker. He said you can't go wrong with Texas companies and that airline stocks look good, so why not an airline based in Texas. I put it all in Braniff, and they went bankrupt the next week."
Old Jun 26, 2008, 1:08 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA, WN, DL
Originally Posted by Oxb
I am at the podium at CLT getting my upgrade cleared ^ to PBI. Twenty something female was pleading with the other agent to let her on the flight. She had missed her flight to JAX, so she just had to get on this flight. "Its on the way and they can stop and let me off..."
Oh that is good! I hope she at least looks attractive to make up for what she's lacking...

Perhaps she only took the bus up until then.
Old Jun 26, 2008, 2:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

"I'm Aadvantage EXP and I'm paying full fare unrestricted coach. The res was made two days before flight time. How did I get stuck in a Y middle seat?"
Old Jun 26, 2008, 2:54 pm
LAS

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, Hertz #1 Gold, SPG
It's not airline related, but while on the boat going to the Arizona Memorial with the swells hitting the sides of the boat, the person sitting in front of me said "You can't swim in this water because it's too thick."
Old Jun 26, 2008, 3:05 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AAirpass, & CK 2MM, MR Plat Premier, DL Plat, US Plat, UA RECOVERING GS
Originally Posted by TA
some airlines (like Swiss) are so smart that the flight/entertainment system computer downloads passenger connection information close to landing, and displays all the relevant gate info on the tv screens for everyone to see. But I suppose that's 20 years in the future for US airlines...
Actually AA does this on the 777 when operating internationally (and something routes like MIA-LAX or ORD-DFW, etc.). AA also reads out connections on every flight in to a hub airport. The gates are printed via ACARS about 20-30 minutes prior to departure and, if you look carefully, you will see a little slot in the bottom of the cockpit door. This is the magical means of transport for the ACARS slip.

Originally Posted by AirBoy
Upon deplaning after a very turbulent LAX-DEN, an elderly woman behind me says to her husband "we are never flying United again. Continental pilots fly much more smoothly, United's pilots need more training."
I've heard this probably 50 times in my life. I want to hit these people or, if I'm in a bad mood, remove their reproductive organs.

Originally Posted by sonofzeus
"I'm Aadvantage EXP and I'm paying full fare unrestricted coach. The res was made two days before flight time. How did I get stuck in a Y middle seat?"
Hmmm, might have been me (although I'd never say it outloud).

Here is mine:

Overheard boarding a US Flight in CLT: "I'm flying first class on US Airways!"
Old Jun 26, 2008, 3:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Under the Liberty Visual to 27L at PHL. Stranger in a strange land - a Devils fan in Flyers country.
Programs: PWP Le Chancelier des Clefs d'Or || Sarcasm, Anti-Stupidity, Obscure References top tier member.
Overheard by my mother, in HNL: "We have to tell people about this place when we get back to the States."

One of the dumber people I've ever met, on a flight where thunderstorms were visible: "Why is it only lightning on one side of the plane?"
Old Jun 26, 2008, 4:00 pm

"I just talked to my friend who said the weather is FINE in Baltimore."
Old Jun 26, 2008, 4:12 pm
msv
FlyerTalk Evangelist

On a recent trip from EWR to SFO the pilot said "we will be flying west".
Old Jun 26, 2008, 6:50 pm

Programs: LH SEN
I was in C at in a long haul flight. A guy comes from Y and asks the FA: I'm tall and the seats back there are too tight for me. Could I just sit here, there's an empty seat".
FA: "Good that you know it's tight. Next time you buy a C ticket, which can cost 10 times more than what you are paying now".
Old Jun 26, 2008, 10:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
Originally Posted by AirBoy
Upon deplaning after a very turbulent LAX-DEN, an elderly woman behind me says to her husband "we are never flying United again. Continental pilots fly much more smoothly, United's pilots need more training."
I did have a work colleague who said she enjoyed flying TG because she could tell that when they hit turbulence/chop they'd make course changes to make it a smoother flight. Something she hadn't seen on other carriers!
Old Jun 27, 2008, 1:55 am

Programs: AA, DL Gold, UA Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Fraser
Was on a flight from DFW-ANC yesterday and as we were in the last hour or so of the flight the view over the mountains of Alaska was pretty amazing...on the starboard side of the aircraft. Alas my wife and I were on the port side. We could see the passengers all looking out of the window on that side. The guy seated in front of me was leaned round and I joked, 'We got a better view of Oklahoma City than they did though'. He mumbled something about the Grand Canyon and I said I'd seen it a few times when flying cross country to Los Angeles. He said, 'Oh no, I saw it on this flight just when we left Dallas'
A little OT, but ANC is one of my favorite approaches, especially when you come in over the water. The first time I came in to ANC, I thought we were going to land in the water. What a fantastic approach, city, and state as a whole.
Old Jun 27, 2008, 4:37 am

Programs: Hyatt Gold Member, JetBlue TrueBlue member.
lol

reading this is like a traveling version of "heres your sign" lol i swear the wrong people travel and the right people stay home sometimes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.