FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   TravelBuzz (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz-176/)
-   -   Stupid things you've heard other passengers/travellers say... (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz/838573-stupid-things-youve-heard-other-passengers-travellers-say.html)

Fraser Jun 25, 2008 8:17 pm

Stupid things you've heard other passengers/travellers say...

Was on a flight from DFW-ANC yesterday and as we were in the last hour or so of the flight the view over the mountains of Alaska was pretty amazing...on the starboard side of the aircraft. Alas my wife and I were on the port side. We could see the passengers all looking out of the window on that side. The guy seated in front of me was leaned round and I joked, 'We got a better view of Oklahoma City than they did though'. He mumbled something about the Grand Canyon and I said I'd seen it a few times when flying cross country to Los Angeles. He said, 'Oh no, I saw it on this flight just when we left Dallas' :D

I didn't want to be that pedantic guy off the plane so just kept quiet and sounded surprised...Here's a map of our flight course :D
http://flightaware.com/live/flight/A...103Z/KDFW/PANC

Also the previous day my wife and I were in Chicago and walked out to Navy Pier to get some pictures of the skyline. There was a young family and the father was standing and waiting a few seconds for a small group of clouds to clear. As they did he pointed at the John Hancock Center and said, 'Look there, that building is the Sears Tower' :D In his defence the Sears Tower from Navy Pier is slightly hidden behind a few other tall buildings between the pier and the buildings but still...

ButIsItArt Jun 25, 2008 8:42 pm

"They'll hold the plane for us, right?"

VideoPaul Jun 25, 2008 8:45 pm

"I hope there is an empty seat between us"

Mr. Vker Jun 25, 2008 8:52 pm

A girl I was dated in college and I were at the airport waiting for a flight. She had not flown before and noticed a hose connected to the wings and asked me about it.

I told her fuel was being pumped in and was stored in the wings. She responded, "Oh, I guess that's why plane's crash when the wings come off."

The relationship only lasted a few more weeks,

kevinsac Jun 25, 2008 9:17 pm

Sunday morning, I had to take Southwest on the city-pair I was flying! :( And I ran into one of those. "I don't want to wait in line to get a boarding pass down there. Can't I just get it at the gate?"

CABNcrew Jun 25, 2008 9:29 pm

"I did it on my last flight...."

asnovici Jun 25, 2008 9:39 pm

Originally Posted by ButIsItArt (Post 9939071)
"They'll hold the plane for us, right?"

If I had a Euro for every time I heard that one!

The latest one was 3 days ago at the arrival of NW flight from Tokyo at the baggage claim. A woman in her twenties was complaining that there is no gate assignment on her boarding pass for Des Moines, the pass she received 16 hours before in Tokyo Narita. She was complaining that now she has to run around the airport looking for her gate, and saying how "stupid this airline is". The idea of departure monitors never occured to her. I was glad I was one of the first few to get my bag (priority stickers work finally!) and be on my way so I dont have to hear this moronic monologue any longer.

gj83 Jun 25, 2008 9:44 pm

I never trust a gate assignment I'm given more than 20 minutes before departure from ORD. The UX gates seem to change every 10 minutes and Mr. EasyUpdate usually leaves several gate change announcements for me. I was in ORD when some lady missed her flight from ORD to CLT because she was coming in from Vietnam or somewhere and trusted the gate on the BP issued before she left Asia.

It used to annoy me that most airlines don't announce connections onboard anymore, but now I'm glad they don't since the sheets are printed before departure and would just cause more confusion.

Fraser Jun 25, 2008 10:03 pm

Originally Posted by gj83 (Post 9939363)
It used to annoy me that most airlines don't announce connections onboard anymore, but now I'm glad they don't since the sheets are printed before departure and would just cause more confusion.

I thought they got it onboard during the flight via ACARS or some such. I'm pretty sure I've heard once, maybe twice, that 'connecting gate information would be passed on once we receive it'.

Is this the moment where I get added to the list? :D

tgw Jun 25, 2008 10:08 pm

Flight from ATL to IAH... Guy in the window seat next to me.

"Wow... what a great view. That must be El Paso."

wolfie_cr Jun 25, 2008 11:39 pm

Originally Posted by Mr. Vker (Post 9939118)
"Oh, I guess that's why plane's crash when the wings come off."

It took me 3 minutes to recover from that laughing burst I just had......my dogs must have thought it was beer related........

wolfie_cr Jun 25, 2008 11:41 pm

"I can't wait to get to the island and enjoy the sun" travelling to SJO........:rolleyes:

Orion Jun 25, 2008 11:43 pm

About two years ago I was in the queue for security screening at Dca when I heard the guy behind me tell someone on his cell phone: "Hi. I'm about to get on a plane. I'm at Dulles Airport".

gj83 Jun 25, 2008 11:45 pm

Originally Posted by Fraser (Post 9939442)
I thought they got it onboard during the flight via ACARS or some such. I'm pretty sure I've heard once, maybe twice, that 'connecting gate information would be passed on once we receive it'.

The few times I've gotten any information recently they had the print out and made an announcement very early in the flight. How would they get the print out? I haven't noticed any printers in the galleys and I rarely see the flight deck door open unless a pilot needs to use the restroom.

remyontheroad Jun 26, 2008 1:45 am

Well.. in fairness, I think many of us have had days (or weeks or months) of really having no idea what airport we're in at any given moment. :confused::)

"Hi hon, I'm at the place where the planes leave from!"

Originally Posted by Orion (Post 9939781)
About two years ago I was in the queue for security screening at Dca when I heard the guy behind me tell someone on his cell phone: "Hi. I'm about to get on a plane. I'm at Dulles Airport".