Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Which country doesn't do exit stamp beside US?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Which country doesn't do exit stamp beside US?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24, 2008, 10:37 pm

Programs: AA, DL Gold, UA Gold, HHonors Gold
What I want to know is how Martinique and Guadaloupe do it? They are both overseas departments of France (I think that is right), and both have direct flights from Paris. If you fly from Paris to Guadaloupe, is that just like any other domestic arrival, or do they still do immigration formalities?
Old Jun 24, 2008, 11:03 pm

Originally Posted by hfly
In my experience more countries do NOT do exit stamps then those that do. In any case a stamp, or a pp checkpoint are not the only way of ascetaining whether someone has departed the country.
I'd disagree with this. In my experience, almost all of the 45 or so countries I have visited in the last 10 years DO stamp at exit.

Most of these countries are developing countries so maybe there is a pattern there?
Old Jun 25, 2008, 12:56 am

Programs: BD / BA / AF
Originally Posted by etch5895
What I want to know is how Martinique and Guadaloupe do it? They are both overseas departments of France (I think that is right), and both have direct flights from Paris. If you fly from Paris to Guadaloupe, is that just like any other domestic arrival, or do they still do immigration formalities?
I arrived in La Réunion from Mauritius, and got the whole immigration clearance (as you would expect). I seem to remember there was passport control on the way out (to Paris) as well, but I could be mistake.
Old Jun 25, 2008, 12:59 am

Programs: BD / BA / AF
Originally Posted by 9Benua
I find it strange US which is paranoid about illegal immigrant, yet they don't even check and stamp your passport upon exiting the country. So far, US is the only one in my experience who did this. My travel experience is limited to Asian countries though. I'm just wondering are US is the only country who do this.
Surprised no one has mentioned it yet -- the US controls outbound travellers (non-US passport holders) via their I-94/I-94W forms.

As a general rule, aliens departing the United States are require to surrender (typically to the airline or ship representative) their I-94 (or I-94W) forms when leaving the United States, so that their departure can be properly recorded by the immigration authorities.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I-94_(form)
Old Jun 25, 2008, 10:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

But I did mention it, "In any case a stamp, or a pp checkpoint are not the only way of ascetaining whether someone has departed the country".

[Personalized comment deleted by moderator.]

Last edited by Ocn Vw 1K; Jul 1, 2008 at 9:55 pm Reason: See above.
Old Jun 25, 2008, 11:49 am

Programs: UA GS, AS MVP 100K, DL Diamond, Marriot Lifetime Titanium, AmEx Centurion
Originally Posted by supermasterphil
I didn't get exit stamps out of the US, Canada, Switzerland, Brazil, Argentina and Paraguay.
Paraguay does, however, stamp on exit....depending where you exit
Old Jun 25, 2008, 3:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I must admit that I have never left Paraguay by air, I have however done so several times by land (to two different countries) and have never received an exit stamp and for that matter at times have not received an entry stamp either.
Old Jun 25, 2008, 4:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by unagi1
By train, are you actually referring to the train from Singapore to Malaysia that leaves from Keppel Road.
I utterly don't recall where the station was, this was long ago.

You are right about where the train goes. How else can you leave Singapore by train by any other means??
Old Jun 25, 2008, 10:09 pm

But I did mention it, "In any case a stamp, or a pp checkpoint are not the only way of ascetaining whether someone has departed the country".

Camsean, read the whole thread.
Huh?

You said that you believe most countries do not stamp people out. My experience contradicts this. I didn't mention anything about "ascertaining whether someone has departed the country".

I don't see anything that contradicts my point. Thanks for the advice though.

Last edited by camsean; Jun 25, 2008 at 10:56 pm Reason: typo
Old Jun 25, 2008, 11:28 pm

Programs: CO Gold
Originally Posted by camsean
I'd disagree with this. In my experience, almost all of the 45 or so countries I have visited in the last 10 years DO stamp at exit.

Most of these countries are developing countries so maybe there is a pattern there?
disagree with that, most be the geographic area you have visited most (Africa? Asia?) because in Central America for instance noone, the Carribean I have visited does not either and US/Canada/ some parts of the EU dont either

if the US were to stamp people on departure..........my passport which is 48 pages would be totally full by now (well then again may be not, because US 'stampers' have the nasty habit of putting one on top of the other, on top of the other, in one page I have managed to decipher at least 10 stamps!)

Last edited by wolfie_cr; Jun 25, 2008 at 11:36 pm
Old Jun 25, 2008, 11:31 pm

Programs: CO Gold
Originally Posted by MatthewClement
Surprised no one has mentioned it yet -- the US controls outbound travellers (non-US passport holders) via their I-94/I-94W forms.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I-94_(form)
yes a 'control' that is likely (I hope not ) to get me in some future "ooops"

I have over 80 entries to the US in a 8 year timestamp, first of all, forms can get lost from airline guys that collect them (at different points, sometimes at check in , sometimes at the very departure gate)......etc

then once on the way to HKG I forgot to turn it in...........on the return trip (HKG-EWR-SJO) I handed it over to the immigration agent.......I hope it gets properly logged in his systems SOMEHOW , if not I will find out in a year.....when I renew my visa , IF they renew it

about entry stamps.......I have been in Spain twice........yet you couldnt tell by my passport, crossing from GIB to Spain .......the first time the guy looked REALLY close at my passport and then let me go, the 2nd time 5 years later my ex-boss said , wave it in (from inside the car) and the guy just nodded
Old Jun 26, 2008, 7:08 am

Originally Posted by wolfie_cr
disagree with that, most be the geographic area you have visited most (Africa? Asia?) because in Central America for instance noone, the Carribean I have visited does not either and US/Canada/ some parts of the EU dont either

if the US were to stamp people on departure..........my passport which is 48 pages would be totally full by now (well then again may be not, because US 'stampers' have the nasty habit of putting one on top of the other, on top of the other, in one page I have managed to decipher at least 10 stamps!)
Yep you got it. Most of the countries I'm thinking about are in Asia, the middle east or, Africa.

Last edited by camsean; Jun 26, 2008 at 9:28 am
Old Jun 27, 2008, 10:28 am

Programs: KL Gold, SQ KF Gold, CX Green
Camsean,Then your travel is limited, is not global and is a subjective opinion that doesn't really relate to the title or pattern of this thread.

BTW, in my previous post the first paragraph was obviously not intended for you, however you are briliiantly demonstrating that you only selectively read earlier posts.
Well, well, Mr. / Mrs. hfly, you were proven wrong (you were able to name less than half of the 100 countries you said you have visited that don't stamp on exit, and when queried on these countries you had to admit that 1) some are not countries (Ceuta, Melilla) ; 2) some only don't stamp on request (Taiwan); 3) some you were just wrong (Brazil); 4) some sometimes stamp / sometimes they do not (all Schengen countries)) [unduly personalized comment deleted by moderator].
The truth is that the majority of countries do stamp on exit.

Last edited by Ocn Vw 1K; Jul 1, 2008 at 9:59 pm Reason: See above.
Old Jun 28, 2008, 6:53 am

The UK got rid of formal exit controls a few years ago (but they are now being re-introduced). When they existed, I think that the only people who were "stamped out" were people with various sorts of residence permits (not right of abode certificates) in their passports. Others (British citizens, those with right of abode certificates, EU/EEA citizens, and short-term visitors) were not stamped, I think.

The EU/EEA countries do not stamp the passports of their own country or other EU/EEA countries on entry or exit. Indeed, sometimes passport control officers will refuse to stamp these passports even on request because (apparently) it implies that "the holder has been subject to an immigration control that he or she is not, in fact, subject to". Back in the real world, other passport officers will stamp a passport on request, particularly if it is a child asking for the stamp.

Australia no longer stamps Australian passports either. An Australian citizen friend of mine who had been living outside Australia for many years requested a stamp as proof of entry when she arrived there a few years back with the intention of remaining in Australia to live. This was given without demur. However, when asked for proof that she was in Australia (!) by her local medicare office (Australia's free government health system) — I say "!" because she was standing in front of the person asking her for proof that she was physically in Australia... — she produced her passport with the stamp but was told, "Oh, we don't take any notice of passport stamps any more, they're too easy to forge."
Old Jun 28, 2008, 7:18 am

Programs: KL Gold, SQ KF Gold, CX Green
Originally Posted by Christopher
The UK got rid of formal exit controls a few years ago (but they are now being re-introduced). When they existed, I think that the only people who were "stamped out" were people with various sorts of residence permits (not right of abode certificates) in their passports. Others (British citizens, those with right of abode certificates, EU/EEA citizens, and short-term visitors) were not stamped, I think.
My (Dutch) passport was stamped in and out by UK immigration ("given leave to enter the United Kingdom for six months") until 1978. (the exit stamp was triangular). In the early 1980's, EU citizens were given a card (in all EU languages) specifying how long you could stay, and that card was stamped. (on entry only) Later in the 1980's and throughout the 1990's, UK immigration hardly even looked at EU passports. More recently, they started having a closer look and they scan the passport.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.