Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

keeping up with weather warnings while on the road?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13, 2008, 10:21 pm
Original Poster

The tornados and floods in the Midwest right now have me thinking about how people on the move get necessary info on severe weather. Later this summer we plan to drive cross country, complete with U-haul truck, when we move, and I would prefer to avoid (or wait out) certain weather conditions or major highway problems, like washed out bridges.

How do folks get weather info and road conditions 300 miles in advance when you're driving? Obviously continuous internet access isn't an option on interstate highways. Do any of the GPS systems offer weather alerts? If your route is entered into the system, will a GPS system pick up road conditions far enough in advance for you to make a major detour?
Old Jun 14, 2008, 3:32 am

Programs: Marriott Silver
Probably the old fashioned way... trusty AM radio and/or Weather Radio if the car is capable of receiving it. Stopping and asking whenever stopping at rest points or for gas, etc.

Most importantly, always keeping a good map so you can find your way once you get lost on that detour.

Whenever weather affects me on a road trip I also try to have a friend keep track of the weather on the internet and call me with updates.
Old Jun 14, 2008, 5:37 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Can you not dial into a weather website with your phone?
Old Jun 15, 2008, 9:38 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
Can you not dial into a weather website with your phone?
Does my phone have internet service? No. But more importantly, I don't know of any phone-in weather info sites. If anyone can tell of some, and how they work, I would appreciate it.
Old Jun 15, 2008, 9:43 am
cpx

Programs: Many
you could get some of those news and/or weather websites to text you
the weather reports for the cities/states on your way on a daily basis.

Tuning into a local FM/AM station is not bad either.

NPR is also a good option. check out www.npr.com, they have
tools to map out the stations on your route.
Old Jun 20, 2008, 7:25 am

I'm sure there are cheaper brands of this product, but it's the first sample I found:
http://www.weathershack.com/oregon-s...fic/wr601.html

You don't really need one with SAME capability for this specific task since you don't want to have to program it for all the counties you'll drive through. You just want to get alerts for any WX station you can receive, in your case.
Old Jun 20, 2008, 1:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Take a laptop as almost every Days Inn, Choice Inn, Courtyard, Panera Bakery etc has free wifi assessable from their parking lot or lobby. Almost every interstate exit of these at each exit. I often do it. See www.jiwire.com for free and pay wifi locations worldwide. Good luck.

MisterNice
Old Jun 20, 2008, 9:14 pm

Programs: UA GS, UA 2-Million Miler, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, HHonours Diamond, Marriott Plat, EVA Gold
Originally Posted by MisterNice
Take a laptop as almost every Days Inn, Choice Inn, Courtyard, Panera Bakery etc has free wifi assessable from their parking lot or lobby. Almost every interstate exit of these at each exit. I often do it. See www.jiwire.com for free and pay wifi locations worldwide. Good luck.

MisterNice
That is nice, Mr. Nice, but for folks in tornado country everyone knows these things can formulate and get nasty in less time than it takes for most Windoze laptops to boot up. Hurricanes at least have the good manners to let us know they are coming, most of the time at least.

If you're really concerned, very compact NOAA weather radios are available, as already mentioned. Even if your phone is not Internet-ready, many weather sites and local TV stations also offer a service that will deliver alerts via text message, which most mobile phones should be able to receive.

Be careful out there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.