Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Rude Behavior--applying fingernail polish in first class

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2008, 2:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by exbayern
Over brunch this week a friend told me that he was seated between two nose pickers apparently having a contest on his AC flight this week.
And I WON! Yep, I put that barfbag in his place. So, it was worth it.
Old May 30, 2008, 2:41 pm

Programs: AC.SE
Originally Posted by alm5150
And that's exactly why I leave my leather sofa at home when I fly.
Good one! But leather jackets and other apparel are also tanned, and people even complain about the smell of new cabin interiors.

Last edited by ylwae; May 30, 2008 at 2:47 pm
Old May 30, 2008, 2:46 pm

Originally Posted by baglady
There is a difference between behaviour which is annoying, gross, disgusting or disturbing and that which creates a medical problem or crisis (as indicated above in ALM5150's post). I have severe allergies including a life threatening one.
Yes, I drew the distinction between irritating and harmful in my post. My point is primarily that it's impossible for me to know if a person who will be next to or near me has a life-threatening allergy, and if so, to what. How many precautions should I take to protect that person, particularly given that the number of people with severe allergies to environmental antigens is very small?
Old May 30, 2008, 3:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ylwae
Yes, I drew the distinction between irritating and harmful in my post. My point is primarily that it's impossible for me to know if a person who will be next to or near me has a life-threatening allergy, and if so, to what. How many precautions should I take to protect that person, particularly given that the number of people with severe allergies to environmental antigens is very small?
So, that's your attitude? Tell you what -- pull out your nail polish and you'll hear from me immediately and directly, followed by the FA and, if necessary, the captain.

Sheesh. I just don't understand this attitude at all.
Old May 30, 2008, 8:12 pm

Originally Posted by PTravel
So, that's your attitude? Tell you what -- pull out your nail polish and you'll hear from me immediately and directly, followed by the FA and, if necessary, the captain.

Sheesh. I just don't understand this attitude at all.
The attitude is coming mostly from you. I didn't say I was going to pull out a bottle of anything--I asked how I or anyone is supposed to know what the people around us are sensitive to, and how these people can be reasonably accommodated given the wide range of reactions they can experience. Aside from having airlines ban every volatile substance, there is no way to protect everyone with a sensitivity or allergy.

Last edited by ylwae; May 30, 2008 at 8:28 pm
Old May 30, 2008, 8:27 pm

-----
Old May 30, 2008, 8:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: La Ministreuse de Surréalisme, CO Plat, MR Plat, SPG Plat
The attitude is coming mostly from you. I didn't say I was going to pull out a bottle of anything--I asked how I or anyone is supposed to know what the people around us are sensitive to.
I understand you don't know. Common sense would dictate no nail polish or perfume for most people but some people just don't think of it.

I have a latex allergy which I could die from (hence I carry 2 double epi pens). Less than 1% of the population suffers from this allergy. My mother has it - I watched her flat line 3 times in the hospital. Perhaps made me a bit more paranoid. I've only gone into anaphalatic shock once after being exposed to latex balloons. But one time is enough. It's scary. I feel for those with nut allergies that severe. My mother had anaphalatic shock on an airplane because cleaners had been on with latex gloves. I don't expect people to watch out for me - I have to watch out for me. I have extreme allergies. It's life. I could have been dealt a worse hand. My daughter and step daughter understand why they can't get balloons at the restaurants/grocery store/dept. store/birthday parties/etc. I am well prepared. People do not understand the severity of the allergy and think I overreact - that's okay. I don't expect people to. I do my part to think ahead. I just want people to do their part with common sense and courtesy.

Again, I don't live in a bubble and don't expect the world from people. But spraying pefume and putting on polish on a plane
Old May 30, 2008, 10:15 pm

Originally Posted by silver springer
I tapped on her on the arm, she unplugged and I told her that I was allergic and her polish was making me ill. She looked puzzled and said she would do one more nail and then quit.
Far out! That is particularly rude - how can anyone do another nail when she was told she was making you ill?

I see multiple problems with this woman.

1. Being inconsiderate by using nail polish in an enclosed space
2. Being ill-mannered by applying nail polish in public (hasn't she been taught that it was not a done thing?)
3. Not having any common sense by being unaware that applying nail polish in an enclosed space was inappropriate
4. Continue doing so, albeit for a short period, after being advised she was making you ill.

I wish people who were so stupid and ill-mannered did not travel. The only way this can be excused is if she had no sense of smell (then she wouldn't know how bad nail polish is in enclosed space).
Old May 31, 2008, 12:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The attitude is coming mostly from you. I didn't say I was going to pull out a bottle of anything--I asked how I or anyone is supposed to know what the people around us are sensitive to, and how these people can be reasonably accommodated given the wide range of reactions they can experience. Aside from having airlines ban every volatile substance, there is no way to protect everyone with a sensitivity or allergy.
Nail polish and nail polish remover use an acetone base. Acetone is an organic solvent and, like any organic solvent, should be used in a well-ventilated space. I have absolutely no idea how you could think that the smell of acetone isn't irritating and annoying to others, regardless of their "special sensitivities" or lack thereof -- the smell of nail polish is not, in any way, analogous to the smell of, for example, a nice steak, which most people are genetically programmed to find pleasant and appealing. Regardless, people who bring strong smelling food on a plane are being equally considerate, as well as those who take of their shoes and have stinky feet, douse themselves with perfume, or change diapers in the cabin. Some people can't help some emissions -- it's not pleasant, but it's not voluntary. I'll be much more forgiving of that than someone who decides to douse themselves with organic solvents or aromatic hydrocarbons but it doesn't even occur to them that it others on the plane might not want to smell the stink they are making.

It's very simple: don't impose on others by intruding into their space, whether physically or with strong odors. It is absolutely beyond me how anyone can think it's perfectly fine to do whatever they want without the slightest thought for how other passengers might react.

You think I have attitude? You're damn right that I do. I have reached my limit with selfish, self-absorbed, thoughtless and rude people on aircraft.
Old May 31, 2008, 12:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AusEuroFlyer
Far out! That is particularly rude - how can anyone do another nail when she was told she was making you ill?

I see multiple problems with this woman.

1. Being inconsiderate by using nail polish in an enclosed space
2. Being ill-mannered by applying nail polish in public (hasn't she been taught that it was not a done thing?)
3. Not having any common sense by being unaware that applying nail polish in an enclosed space was inappropriate
4. Continue doing so, albeit for a short period, after being advised she was making you ill.

I wish people who were so stupid and ill-mannered did not travel. The only way this can be excused is if she had no sense of smell (then she wouldn't know how bad nail polish is in enclosed space).
Exactly. ^^^
Old May 31, 2008, 1:29 am
In memoriam

Programs: AA EXP "Life is good! Really good.""
Originally Posted by OffToOz
To anyone with any kind of smell sensitivy, nail polish is one of the worst offenders.
No, the worst offender is the artificial lemon-scented deodorizer used in the the Y class lavs on Qantas. The door opened directly onto my aisle seat (36C) on an extremely full flight. I finally asked to be moved to a middle seat ANYTHING but where I was. 65F wasn't a winner, since my legs are too long to be happy in a bulkhead seat and I had to keep my arms tucked inside the armrests for hours, but at least it didn't smell.

I can deal with nail polish in F or J any day.
Old May 31, 2008, 1:51 am

Programs: Nothing - I'm useless!
Isn't nail polish a combination of competing chemical additives?

It has the drying accelerant which is what causes it to smell so strongly in the first place - the liquid disperses quikly. Latex or acrylic paint on the other hand barely has any smell at all.

Add to that the intentional foul smell - to stop the huffers, as also found in most aerosol products - and you've got a well crafted unpleasent experience.

I dont know how anyone could be oblivious to it.
Old May 31, 2008, 9:05 am
NS~

Originally Posted by dgwright99
Sorry - I don't see the problem, allegy aside. Nail polish smells no stronger than many foods that somebody may have brought on board, or the amount of perfume/cologne that many people apply. Really - what is the big deal

If you have an allergy, then I agree it's a problem, but so is the person eating nuts if you have nut allergies, etc, etc
Of course you don't see it as a problem because you are not the person who have asthma or other severe allegies. You are one of the selfish passengers??

Be considerate, the plane is NOT your house. Nail polish cannot be compared to foods, dude!
Old May 31, 2008, 9:16 am
NS~

Originally Posted by PhlyingRPh
Please remove "chat" from your list of acceptable activities. It is a real problem for me on US domestic flights when pax seem to delight in talking at the top of their voices to one another about the most uninteresting, inane topics. Unfortunately Noise Cancelling headphones don't drown out loud talkers and hte clanging sound emanating from them at higher volumes are unpleasanet for others too. Please people, fart away but for Pete's sake keep your bloody traps shut.
Chat softly NOT loudly..

What clanging sound is that?
Old May 31, 2008, 9:27 am
NS~

Originally Posted by baglady
But spraying pefume and putting on polish on a plane
Well only those inconsiderate retards will do this.

@baglady,
I have similar medical condition as you do.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.