Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Any experience out there of older people staying in hostels?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Any experience out there of older people staying in hostels?

Search this Thread

Old May 17, 2008, 2:57 pm
Original Poster

Talking Any experience out there of older people staying in hostels?

Hi there,

I've just found this wonderful site today while searching online for info about older people staying in hostels while travelling in the US.

My husband is about to turn 55, I'm in my mid-40s. I've only stayed in one Youth Hostel in Tasmania about three years ago, but my husband, in his younger years, stayed in hostels in New Zealand, Japan, Canada and the US.

Has anyone out there in their 50s stayed in hostels in the US and what was your experience? I don't want to feel like "mum and dad" in a hostel, but we're tired of staying in really bad budget motels too. I'm afraid I missed the glory days of the US motel-system.

Has anyone heard of hostels allowing pets (one demure cat) to stay?

Just trying to work out how we travel next.

I appreciate any input/feedback. I'll continue reading through this site too.

Cheers.
Old May 19, 2008, 5:14 pm

Programs: One Star 'n Sky
Lightbulb

Welcome to FlyerTalk, Desertkoala

My advice is: avoid hostels! Instead,
learn to utilize various points/miles programs to your advantage, and enjoy 'good' hotels at low affordable prices.

What is your budget per night? Would $50 be acceptable?

If your vacation plans are flexible, you can find a hotel chain with:
- $100 per night rate and
- bonus promotion(s) awarding a number of points equal to as mush as 1 free night reward
= Your final cost for 2(two) nights is $100. I'd call it a $50 per night equivalent.

To save even more:

- Look for deals on hotel gift cards, then use g/c to pay for 1st night.
Buy g/c with your cash or credit card, in stores or online during promotion times when a discount is offered. Can be as little as 5%, or as much as 25%. With one of these, your $100 stay now cost $95 or only $75.

- Look for coupons and /or discount codes. Mostly % off, sometimes 2-for-1 offers. Discount codes and coupons can be found:
~ in your email or paper statements sent by hotel
~ posted on FT and other sites online
~ various coupon books available for sale, a la "entertainment book"
~ travel broshures/booklets found at hotels or "visitors centers"
~ published in newspapers or magazines

Do you have/use credit cards? Get some with 'hotel points' program attached.
If you have the discipline to pay off credit card balance in full each month, you do not have to worry about high % finance fees.
- Charge ALL of your purchases to such a credit card, and earn yourself a gazillion points - at no extra cost to your wallet.
Do you buy a 50c daily newspaper or a $2 cup of coffee? Charge it!
- Do you pay utilities, rent or mortgage, car loan? Ask each/all of your creditors - how can you pay the bill with a credit card. Then... charge it too!

Where do you live? Are there any "rebates for shopping" offers in your land?
In US many retailers and manufacturers are offering 100% rebates on lots of stuff. Examples:
~ buy a toothbrush for $5, a toothpaste for $4, a soap/lotion/bodywash for $10... potato chips, soda... a case of paper, a phone... a bag full of cosmetics. Lets say you spend $1000 per month on all that stuff... earned 3000 points via credit card
~ fill out assorted 'rebate forms', mail out or submit online
~ in 2 to 3 weeks you get bunch of rebate checks totalling at least $1000.
If you are really clever deals-wise, you can make those $1000-purchases produce a $1200 in rebates.
= Now use the extra $200 of cash and the 3000 points to reduce your initial hotel costs even more.

In addition you also now have all that stuff worth $1000 retail, which you can either use yourself or donate to charity, and maybe even qualify for a tax deduction for donations...

In lieu of hotel expenses, some pro-shoppers in US manage to quit their day jobs and engage in shopping/rebating full time

HTH, and please post to let use know if you need some more ideas or assistance

Last edited by SkyVillager; May 19, 2008 at 5:19 pm
Old May 19, 2008, 5:58 pm
Suspended

Programs: Ephesians 4:31-32
Welcome to FlyerTalk, SkyVillager.

I know of at least one retired FlyerTalker who travels very extensively and frequently stays in hostels.

His response will be most interesting.
Old May 19, 2008, 6:26 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by Punki
I know of at least one retired FlyerTalker who travels very extensively and frequently stays in hostels.
That might be me. I'm at a hostel in Sydney tomorrow night for about $US30 a night in a 4 bed shared room, and am splitting my time in Hobart between a hostel and hotel. I've stayed at both HI hostels around the central train station in SYD.

One thing about hostels is quality levels. There are "partying" hostels, and there are quiet hostels. When I first started using hostels back in 1993 I limited myself to the YHA/HI franchise because that's all I knew about. Over the years, I've now done a mix of private and HI hostels. My opinion is that the HI hostels tend to attract more of a mixed age group.

It's important to read reviews on hostels. I'm in Singapore right now and don't have the time to go check links, but there are a couple sites out there, including hostel booking sites, with reviews. Also, note that some hostels have private rooms. I regularly stay at one in Melbourne, Australia, that offers private rooms for around $US50, so that is something to look at with some cities and right in my price range.

I have a 6 night hostel booking in London next month at a hostel with free wi-fi for $40 a night in a shared room. London is one of those places that I don't even bother trying to look for hotels any longer unless I'm staying at the airport for an early connection.

I frequently stay at the HI hostel in New York City at 103rd and Amsterdam. It's getting a little worn, though for $35 a night it can't be beat.

In other U.S. cities, though, you really need to look at priceline or hotwire. I stayed at the Seattle airport 2 weeks ago for $43 a night at a Radisson, so deals are possible. There are two bulletin boards that track winning bids with those sites.
Tom in Singapore
Old May 25, 2008, 1:05 am
Suspended

Programs: Ephesians 4:31-32
Any update on the Hobart hostel?
Old May 25, 2008, 1:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
Originally Posted by SkyVillager
...My advice is: avoid hostels!
I completely DISagree with this advice! (BTW, I wonder how much actual recent hosteling experience you have? )

I've stayed at hostels from time to time as a middle-aged person (i.e., around and over 40), and for the most part, have found it a delightful experience.

There are different kinds of hostels, as Tom points out above. You can pick and choose the kind of experience you want.

Most of the ones, but not all, I have stayed in have been affiliated with YHA/HI. They have been mostly in the US and a few in Scotland and Ireland (one in Italy too).

Some places, especially the smaller, more rural hostels, are literally home hostels, and you can sit around in the evening and socialize with the owner and other guests.

Other hostels, especially large urban ones, can be more impersonal, though in many cases they still offer various opportunities for socializing -- such as common rooms where you can hang out, and activities such as movie screenings, lectures on travel topics, etc.

Honestly, though, I don't think you're going to be completely able to avoid feeling a little like "mum and dad," but that isn't necessarily a bad thing!

Since there's so much information available on the web these days, you can research individual hostels online and get a feel for whether you might enjoy a stay there.

As for budget lodging options in general, you should check out the Budget Travel forum here on FT.

Also, learn something about Priceline and Hotwire, especially for those times you want to stay in a nice hotel at a bargain price. www.biddingfortravel.com and www.betterbidding.com both provide tips on getting the best deals from those "opaque" sites.
Old May 26, 2008, 1:19 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by Punki
Any update on the Hobart hostel?
Haven't been on FT much the last 4 days. The hostel was fine, aside from the police arriving my first night to haul off a woman that had done off an entire bottle of Jim Beam and was being rather vocal At least it was around 9pm while I was still waiting for Qantas to get my backpack to me (they had misrouted it to Brisbane). The last time I saw the police called was in Kilkenny, Ireland, years ago, when the Garda was asked to remove someone they didn't want on the property at a castle hostel. These occasions are so rare that I can remember the two events.

I shared a 6 bed room with someone from Switzerland who is on an around the world ticket. Friday and Saturday night he stayed out all night and I had the room to myself. Very convenient right behind Montgomery's Hotel. Newself told me he had stopped in there for a drink one night, and it's only 5 minutes from the Woolstore Hotel.

The Mercure, on the other hand, where I spent the last night on an internet rate, was a good 15 minute hike in. Fortuantely, the airport bus picked me up at the front door.

Tom posting from the Marriott Executive Lounge in Brisbane

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.