Turning Down F Upgrade?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Turning Down F Upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28, 2008, 10:00 pm
Used to be 'g_leyser'

Location: Brandon Johnson International Airport (expect delays)
Programs: AA PlatPro, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Plat, Reno Air MEGA Platinum
Originally Posted by MCOFlyer
This happened on United, but I'm thinking it might be more appropriate here since it perhaps could apply on any airline. Last night we were in an E+ exit row, so I could see the front of the bus. The GA had announced that F was full, but after boarding she approached a man in an E+ window seat and said he had been upgraded. His row (like most E+ on that flight) had the middle open.

He walked to the F curtain, took one look, shook his head in a very obvious decline and returned to his original seat. I wasn't close enough to hear the reason but was struck with curiosity. I'm not all that impressed with F on A320s anyway, but since this was a coast-to-coast overnighter it might have offered a little more comfort.

Any ideas on why someone might decline? Just seemed weird to me.
Was the F seat a bulkhead?
If so, I would've turned it down too. Especially on a transcon redeye.
Old Apr 28, 2008, 10:33 pm

I have never declined an upgrade to F, but I will under the following circumstances.

(1) Travelling with loved ones.
(2) F seatmate is oversized, obnoxious, or carries an infant.
(3) I have the entire economy row to myself, and the armrest is not fixed.
Old Apr 28, 2008, 11:49 pm

I know a guy who was upgraded from BC to FC. When he got on the plane he saw one of his customers going to BC. He asked for a downgrade because he didn't want his customer to see him in FC.
Old Apr 29, 2008, 5:54 am
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by g_leyser
Was the F seat a bulkhead?
If so, I would've turned it down too. Especially on a transcon redeye.
Thought about it on my one and only battlefield upgrade. CO 752 IAH-LAX with infinite legroom front exit row to bulkhead with FC with somewhat restricted legroom.

In the end went for the u/g - after all couldn't pass on my first battlefield u/g

EmailKid
Old Apr 29, 2008, 1:35 pm

Originally Posted by dchristiva
Interesting. Care to elaborate on why? I don't think I've ever heard someone express his/her disdain for an aisle seat this way. Coach middle over aisle? Tell us how you really feel!

I know I'm an outlier here. I prefer middle seats because I can handle a person on either side of me easier than a constant stream of traffic - people and carts - up and down the aisle. I don't particularly like people 'dropping' their overhead luggage on me.

All that said, yes, I've had some unfortunate neighbors while in the middle seat. But I'm not big, so I don't demand much in hip/shoulder room.

If either the window or aisle goes vacant, PRESTO! I've got double space.

Final note: aisle seats mean getting up twice as often for peoples' bathroom breaks.
Old Apr 29, 2008, 4:52 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by 365RoadWarrior
Final note: aisle seats mean getting up twice as often for peoples' bathroom breaks.
Depends on a/c config. Eg on a wide body the inner aisle seat may never need to get up (if 3 across the middle seat likely last to fill and often a couple in the row who both go out the other side).
Old Apr 29, 2008, 4:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, Delta Plat
Originally Posted by 365RoadWarrior
Economy Plus offers adequate room for my 1.92m/60kg self.
You're 6'3" and 132lbs?

I would probably decline a bulkhead if the flight was 2 hrs or less and I was already situated.
Old Apr 29, 2008, 9:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
I've turned down an upgrade on an overnight longhaul so I could sit with my mother. Should have offered it to her if I had any sense as I flew in a higher cabin on the outbound flight.
Old Apr 29, 2008, 11:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

(not exactly F, but it's not like shorthaul "F" in the USA is that good either)

Turned down a couple of upgrades on KLM, where the exit row has far more space than the joke that's Europe Select.
Asked for a downgrade on AZ once; I was flying a Mad Dog and the Y config is 2-3 with a galley on the AC side 2 rows to the front of the rear steps, which means that 31AC are the most comfortable seats in the entire plane (bit noisy as the engines are to the rear; but my music's noisier ). My downgrade request was turned down, since a large group of teenagers on a school trip were occupying the last few rows- how is that for nemesis?
Old Apr 30, 2008, 10:37 am

Programs: EK,BA,QR
Upgrade - maybe

BA - 747 - LHR-MIA.
Husband and were I both upgraded inflight to F. However, privacy was not as good as NCW, window seats - and the FA insisted I shut my blind - even although it was a day flight. I mentioned that I wished to look out the window as I am claustrophobic, but was informed that as there was a very lucrative passenger behind me - who wished the blinds to be shut - then her needs came before mine!
Wonderful to feel important....
Basically, she was a frequent "Frist" passenger, who spent lots of money on BA - as told to me by the FA. Anyway, I left my sleeping partner and went back upstairs to mu original seat to continue my journey in comfort and without feeling "inferior" to another passenger.
Old Apr 30, 2008, 11:00 am
gof

Programs: UA 2P, HHonors Diamond, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by MyraA
BA - 747 - LHR-MIA.
Husband and were I both upgraded inflight to F. However, privacy was not as good as NCW, window seats - and the FA insisted I shut my blind - even although it was a day flight. I mentioned that I wished to look out the window as I am claustrophobic, but was informed that as there was a very lucrative passenger behind me - who wished the blinds to be shut - then her needs came before mine!
Wonderful to feel important....
Basically, she was a frequent "Frist" passenger, who spent lots of money on BA - as told to me by the FA. Anyway, I left my sleeping partner and went back upstairs to mu original seat to continue my journey in comfort and without feeling "inferior" to another passenger.
I would have politely told the FA no thank you and if he/she insisted I would have followed the second "no thank you" with a request for his/her name and station. You indicated a clear, reasonable need to keep the window shade open and if that was unacceptable to "Ms. Important" in the seat behind, perhaps next time she should bring eye blinds

Now of course this assumes that the sun wasn't shining in the window directly, that much I can be sympathetic with, but I would have offered to stick a pillow into the seat gap to block the direct sun
Old Apr 30, 2008, 11:20 am

Thanks

I was really worried in case I would have been "manhandled" out of first! It was the chief purser who upgraded us in the first place - and he who gave me my instructions!!
Old Apr 30, 2008, 11:29 am

I was really worried in case I would have been "manhandled" out of first! It was the chief purser who upgraded us in the first place - and he who gave me my instructions!!
Why did he upgrade you in the first place, if your seats in J were still available?
Old Apr 30, 2008, 11:35 am

Upgrade

Because we had met with so many problems from booking, through to problems with staff/dirty seating areas and toilets - they did it as a gesture to us - for which we were very greatfull .......
Old Apr 30, 2008, 11:37 am

Because we had met with so many problems from booking, through to problems with staff/dirty seating areas and toilets - they did it as a gesture to us - for which we were very greatfull .......
Fair enough, it's good that the CSD took the initiative to do that.^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.