FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   TravelBuzz (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz-176/)
-   -   Turning Down F Upgrade? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz/818055-turning-down-f-upgrade.html)

MCOFlyer Apr 28, 2008 12:05 pm

Turning Down F Upgrade?

This happened on United, but I'm thinking it might be more appropriate here since it perhaps could apply on any airline. Last night we were in an E+ exit row, so I could see the front of the bus. The GA had announced that F was full, but after boarding she approached a man in an E+ window seat and said he had been upgraded. His row (like most E+ on that flight) had the middle open.

He walked to the F curtain, took one look, shook his head in a very obvious decline and returned to his original seat. I wasn't close enough to hear the reason but was struck with curiosity. I'm not all that impressed with F on A320s anyway, but since this was a coast-to-coast overnighter it might have offered a little more comfort.

Any ideas on why someone might decline? Just seemed weird to me.

MarqFlyer Apr 28, 2008 12:13 pm

Interesting scenario.

The only instances I have heard about are on NW, where Platinum Elites get a 1,000 RDM bonus if they aren't upgraded on a domestic flight with a FC cabin. Although the NW website is vague about this, FTers have reported that you get the bonus even if you are offered the UG and decline. I have heard about this happening on short hops.

That said, even most NW PEs would probably take the UG for a long overnight flght like in your example.

Maybe he just didn't like the looks of his prospective seatmate?

EWR ATC Hold Apr 28, 2008 12:35 pm

What was the route? I've turned down upgrades on short routes like BOS to EWR when I'm seated already and have my bag in an overhead and know there's no chance of getting another overhead spot at the front of the plane. That being said, it would have to be a very short flight, especially when EWR is involved knowing I'll probably spend some time holding before take off.

MCOFlyer Apr 28, 2008 1:15 pm

Route was LAX to MCO, leaving at 10:20 p.m. L.A. time.

365RoadWarrior Apr 28, 2008 1:31 pm

First class has no appeal to me. I routinely turn down upgrades. (Albeit, not based on anything I'd see through the curtain.) "Extra service" is nothing but a nuisance when I am trying to work, read or sleep. I don't eat or drink airline offerings. Economy Plus offers adequate room for my 1.92m/60kg self. Far better someone else should get the upgrade.

Additionally, I don't 'do' aisle seats. I'd prefer a coach middle seat to an aisle. So that'd be another reason for a 'no thanks'.

dchristiva Apr 28, 2008 1:49 pm

Originally Posted by 365RoadWarrior (Post 9645740)
Additionally, I don't 'do' aisle seats. I'd prefer a coach middle seat to an aisle. So that'd be another reason for a 'no thanks'.

Interesting. Care to elaborate on why? I don't think I've ever heard someone express his/her disdain for an aisle seat this way. Coach middle over aisle? Tell us how you really feel! :)

SJCFlyerLG Apr 28, 2008 1:54 pm

Originally Posted by dchristiva (Post 9645850)
Interesting. Care to elaborate on why? I don't think I've ever heard someone express his/her disdain for an aisle seat this way. Coach middle over aisle? Tell us how you really feel! :)

Add me to the chorus. I can't think of any instance outside of snagging the exit row where I would consider the middle to be better than an aisle.

Redhead Apr 28, 2008 1:54 pm

Originally Posted by 365RoadWarrior (Post 9645740)

I also found this fascinating! I always try for an aisle. Middle? Not if I can avoid it

UAL Traveler Apr 28, 2008 4:13 pm

I've turned down numerous upgrades, such as UA ps service C to F and CO Y to F, just to stay with traveling companions (though I certainly would not have objected if they were also offered upgrades).

martinfoss Apr 28, 2008 5:41 pm

This reminds me of a story I heard of a guy, working for Servisair at Oslo airport (Norway).

He was working on the check-in on an overbooked CO flight to Newark, and they needed voulenteers.. Three guys on a trip to Las Vegas were given the following offer (They were booked in Economy):

-Oslo-Stockholm on SAS, Business Class
-Stockholm-Newark on Malaysian, also in Business Class
-$800 per person in travel vouchers
-Arriving in Newark at 6 PM instead of 2 PM..

They turned it down, because one of the guys meant that it would make their three-night stay in NYC shorter...

TA Apr 28, 2008 7:14 pm

Originally Posted by martinfoss (Post 9647242)
This reminds me of a story I heard of a guy, working for Servisair at Oslo airport (Norway).

He was working on the check-in on an overbooked CO flight to Newark, and they needed voulenteers.. Three guys on a trip to Las Vegas were given the following offer (They were booked in Economy):

-Oslo-Stockholm on SAS, Business Class
-Stockholm-Newark on Malaysian, also in Business Class
-$800 per person in travel vouchers
-Arriving in Newark at 6 PM instead of 2 PM..

They turned it down, because one of the guys meant that it would make their three-night stay in NYC shorter...

How in the world does Malaysian serve ARN-EWR?

I guess the thing that doesn't occur to most people -- they can ask that their return flight be moved later in exchange for the bump also. Or if the agent is too busy to do all that, get them to at least note the record so you can call up reservations and get the change made without penalty, for having helped out.

martinfoss Apr 28, 2008 7:24 pm

Originally Posted by TA (Post 9647657)
How in the world does Malaysian serve ARN-EWR?

They fly KUL-ARN-EWR, and vice versa..

Flyingfox Apr 28, 2008 7:54 pm

Perhaps he got a good look at the person he'd be sitting next to and decided he'd be better off staying put............?

mapsmith Apr 28, 2008 9:43 pm

Originally Posted by Flyingfox (Post 9647816)
Perhaps he got a good look at the person he'd be sitting next to and decided he'd be better off staying put............?

Maybe a very large POS in the next seat? (Would have to be very large to ooze over in First.)

mlbcard Apr 28, 2008 9:56 pm

I've only declined it b/c I was with my wife. The only reason I could think of is a seatmate you wouldn't want to be with for a transcon.