Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

The new USA passports are embarrassing.....

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The new USA passports are embarrassing.....

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14, 2008, 9:56 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Priority Club Plat
Originally Posted by MKE-MR
Dang, I guess that scuttles my hopes that overseas consulates might still be issuing the old-style passport
I didnt mean passports, I meant extra pages.
Old Apr 14, 2008, 10:29 pm

Programs: UA MP:1P for life, TG:Gold, CO:Gold
Originally Posted by UMassCanuck07
I already have one set of extra pages. Someone mentioned that have to attach them to an original page. Will they place a new insert before an older insert?
They sure will... as well as after. My inserts are totally out of order.
Old Apr 15, 2008, 2:39 am

Programs: IHG Platinum, Hertz Gold, National Emerald
Originally Posted by southerndoc
I've resorted to carrying a leather British passport cover.
Where'd you get it? I tried looking to a Swiss passport cover online but didn't find anything/
Old Apr 15, 2008, 2:41 am

Programs: FlyingBlue Platinum, LH Senator, VA Velocity Platinum, Marriott Silver, Hilton Diamond
I have the old passport issued in 2005, but had to have 2 sets of additional pages added. They gave me the new ones. It looks so odd. I don't like the new pages at all.
I bought the Montblanc black leather passport holder while on a KLM flight. Very classy look and protects the passport from prying eyes!
Old Apr 15, 2008, 3:05 am

Programs: Virgin Aus Platinum; UA 1K; Sofitel Platinum (A-Club); Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold / Premium Club
Why did they get rid of the 48 page passport? My passport is about 8 yrs old and almost all 48 pages are filled up.

One time -- I had a US immigration agent who had never seen one. He kept looking at the seam and even called over a supervisor to check it out. He thought it looked "extra thick" -- the sup said it was the 48 pager and to let it go.

Guess I will have to replace my passport every 3 years or so now. How many pages are in the new passport? How may pages do you get if you ask for it to be issued with additional pages?
Old Apr 15, 2008, 5:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GlobalSTL
How many pages are in the new passport? How may pages do you get if you ask for it to be issued with additional pages?
The standard passport is 24 pages.
The standard passport + one insert, added at time of issuance is 48 pages.
Old Apr 15, 2008, 5:41 am

Programs: None
Unfortunately they don't always honor your request, unless you renew in person at one of the Regional Passport Agencies. Good luck if you renew by mail, some suggest that they hope someday you'll need extra pages in a hurry and pay for the expedited service.

Originally Posted by soitgoes
The standard passport is 24 pages.
The standard passport + one insert, added at time of issuance is 48 pages.
Old Apr 15, 2008, 6:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Wong Jowo
Good luck if you renew by mail, some suggest that they hope someday you'll need extra pages in a hurry and pay for the expedited service.
Unlikely. If anything, it's just careless processing, not a scheme to extract extra money.
Old Apr 15, 2008, 6:08 am

Programs: None
Originally Posted by soitgoes
Unlikely. If anything, it's just careless processing, not a scheme to extract extra money.
Oh... make sense SoItGoes, maybe it was careless processing. I was just a little upset that they ignored my request.
BTW... I used form DS-82 and attached form DS-4085, did I do it right SoItGoes?
Old Apr 15, 2008, 6:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Wong Jowo
Oh... make sense SoItGoes, maybe it was careless processing. I was just a little upset that they ignored my request.
BTW... I used form DS-82 and attached form DS-4085, did I do it right SoItGoes?
The website just says to enclose a signed request for additional pages with the DS-82. That's what I did, and it worked.

(It was a short letter with a bold subject line (Request for passport issuance with additional pages) and a two-sentence body.)
Old Apr 15, 2008, 6:46 am

I've come to the conclusion that the ugliness of the US passport is security feature. Anti-theft device!
Old Apr 15, 2008, 6:47 am

Programs: CO OP/ LH M&M
it looks nice i believe...i didnt mid at all, besides the hard cover and the lack of more pages. The design inside its kind of tacky with all those pictures and stuff but i look at it on the safe side that it wont be forged really easy...couple months ago i got my new RDIF venezuelan passport and it looks ok, to be honest better than the american, it has normal covers but the info is on a hard plastic page with all kinds of safety systems but with a black and white picture. it is a 32 pages version and also has pictures of nature places of venezuela and heroes but is only for 5 years maybe is because when they enter as full rightful member of the mercosur. The passport will be blue color and the mercosur letters on top just like the argentinian and the other members. I also have a EU Spain passport but was issued on 2005 so is not the new version but my dad got the new one and its kinda weird idk looks biggers somehow, didnt like it that much but anyways...bottomline US passport is a lilttle risky to carry on certain countries (almost got kidnapped in africa and almost robbed in ukraine) thats why i only use it to enter the US!! plus 117$ for a US passport wont matter anything else.
Old Apr 15, 2008, 10:03 am

Programs: DiamondClub (rip), Currently an Alliance Treble Champion (BA, A3, AZ)
Wonders which FTer will end up in Guantanamo first?

Old Apr 15, 2008, 4:21 pm

Programs: QF, VA, VN, BA, SQ, KC - all reds and blues.
I would rather have plain passport pages to show up the stamps better. But if I have to have pictures, then I think the new US passport looks pretty good (better than the new UK one I expect to get next year). It is colourful, interesting, patriotic, tasteful, respectful of USA heritage. I'd say it's a pretty good advert to show overseas - especially when many people are looking for reasons to dislike the USA.
Old Apr 15, 2008, 4:54 pm
In memoriam

Programs: AA EXP "Life is good! Really good.""
deleted

Last edited by lili; Apr 15, 2008 at 5:10 pm Reason: stupid OT comment

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.