Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

The new USA passports are embarrassing.....

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The new USA passports are embarrassing.....

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13, 2008, 8:25 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta, American, USAir, Continental, Northwest, United, AirTran, SouthWest, Midwest
Why do you hate America?
Old Apr 13, 2008, 9:08 am
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by civicmon
I had pages added to my passport and the new pages fit this MO.

it's a passport.. i'm not sure what the real issue is. It takes stamps and is read by a machine.

At the risk of sounding patriotic....a passport is pretty meaningful document and proof to the "world" that I am a USA citizen. In my mind..it is more symbolic than just
"stamps and is read by a machine".
Old Apr 13, 2008, 9:31 am

Programs: None
Originally Posted by Max The Distance
Why do you hate America?
I love my America.
So ironic that the newly designed US Passport shouts so loudly about America and being American, when a passport is about getting out of the country. Please don't tell me who I am... let me discover my own America.
Old Apr 13, 2008, 11:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
As a Brit who doesn't like the whole 'America's the best country in entire universe' concept I'm surprised to say I don't think it is that bad.

It could be worse. It could like one of those birthday cards where the immigration officer opens it and it plays 'The Star Spangled Banner'.
Old Apr 13, 2008, 11:14 am

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, AC *S, Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Explorist
My sister and I applied to renew our passports a while ago. Mine was processed one day earlier and I got the old one (valid till 2017) and my sister got the new one. I was so happy!

Cheers,
Old Apr 13, 2008, 11:20 am

Programs: Frontier Summit, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by birdstrike
Have you seen the new $5 bill?
Hey, the $5 is not bad. The large purple five on the back is strange but looks nice. Now the $10 is sickening. Especially when it turns to a worn orange mess.
Old Apr 13, 2008, 11:32 am

Programs: United 1K,MM
Originally Posted by AusEuroFlyer
There is a benefit to the unattractive new US passport. It makes other people feel better!

I have always been rather disappointed with my rather shoddy-looking (the cover started fraying during my 2nd overseas trip - not even a long trip) Australian passport with the rather hideous national coat of arms with emu and kangaroo (the passport version looks even worse than the 'official' version). But now there is an even worse-looking passport.
Funny that you should say that, I happen to have dual citizenship and carry both my Australian and US passports when I travel to Australia. Usually don't use my Aussie passport at any other time though.

Last edited by diving4gold; Apr 13, 2008 at 11:34 am Reason: ETA: I happen to like both of them.
Old Apr 13, 2008, 11:37 am

I wish the State Department offered the option to select the country listed on the cover. I find it a security threat to carry a passport that states United States of America. I travel to areas of the world that are not friendly to Americans, but who still need medical help. I've resorted to carrying a leather British passport cover.
Old Apr 13, 2008, 12:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AusEuroFlyer
I have always been rather disappointed with my rather shoddy-looking (the cover started fraying during my 2nd overseas trip - not even a long trip) Australian passport with the rather hideous national coat of arms with emu and kangaroo (the passport version looks even worse than the 'official' version). But now there is an even worse-looking passport.
Pictures can be found here:
http://www.dfat.gov.au/dept/passports/press/index.html
Old Apr 13, 2008, 12:42 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by wiredboy10003
Both of these bothered me the first time I saw my new passport also. My thinking was that if all these principles were so important, then why was the administration trying to quash and manipulate them?
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
Old Apr 13, 2008, 2:03 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by southerndoc
I wish the State Department offered the option to select the country listed on the cover. I find it a security threat to carry a passport that states United States of America. I travel to areas of the world that are not friendly to Americans, but who still need medical help. I've resorted to carrying a leather British passport cover.
So true. PanAm 73, which originated in Bombay, was hijacked in Karachi after boarding. Some U.S. citizens of Indian origin, who had boarded in BOM told the hijackers that they were Americans and showed their American passports. Thinking that hijackers were Pakistanis, or Sikhs who were likely to be less sympathetic to Indians. But it turned out the hijackers belonged to Abu Nidal group and were especially interested in Americans.
Old Apr 13, 2008, 2:09 pm

Programs: AA Platinum 2.3MM (Lifetime PLT)
You mean you want to have, let's say, Switzerland on the cover of your passport?

Think this might violate a few treaties perhaps?
Old Apr 13, 2008, 3:44 pm
Suspended

The ID page on the cover was good because it was stiff. However, sliding it through a scanner might damage the chip hence moving the ID page inward.

I like the lines/squares on the visa page which are like training wheels for customs officials.

I tend to favor the old design because the new photos may obscure some passport stamps. The quotes detract from the design. However, having quotes opens the door to future quotes. Why not "Death to the Great Satan Iran and may they know that they will be flattened if they give the Bomb to Hizbollah" and "Death to bin Laden. If we find you, you will be tortured then eaten" and "Pay to the order of Israel. You are our #1 recipient of foreign aid. Can you spare a dime?" and "Bruce Springsteen...Born in the U.S.A., American patriot".
Old Apr 13, 2008, 4:21 pm
Original Member

Programs: TSA Refusenik charter member
Originally Posted by raustin
- Stiff cover; can't bend like the old one << actually, the "bendy" ones wear/tear much faster, so I'm pleased with the current iteration that is like earlier ones (c.1983 for me)
- Flimsy, thin data page; no backing like the old cover; prone to tear/damage by scanner << too true
- No 48-page version << Any reports of success having a 48-pager issued when applying in person?
- Dark background picture obscures an entire paragraph in info section << good point
- Dark gloomy color pages << The moon-landing *was* conducted in relative darkness, after all
- Random inane/vacuous propaganda-style sayings << agreed
- GAUDY gratuitous garish superpatriotic graphics - SOPHOMORIC, cheap look << I wouldn't deem it cheap, just over the top
Originally Posted by Mudfish
What happens if you have a passport that is supposed to have RFID but doesn't?
Thank your lucky stars, is what!

Originally Posted by peachfront
In your package for the new passport, they assure you not to worry if for some reason your RFID is damaged in transit. You will still be able to travel. It will be handled just like any passport that has no RFID. Or so they say, and I guess I have no reason to doubt it.
Woo hoo!

Originally Posted by Fraser
It could be worse. It could like one of those birthday cards where the immigration officer opens it and it plays 'The Star Spangled Banner'.
*rotfl*

I wish the State Department offered the option to select the country listed on the cover.
This makes absolutely no sense.

I find it a security threat to carry a passport that states United States of America. I travel to areas of the world that are not friendly to Americans, but who still need medical help. I've resorted to carrying a leather British passport cover.
Sounds like you've already found a happy solution to a particular problem. Good tip for those who face similar, exceptional circumstances while traveling on a U.S. passport.
Old Apr 13, 2008, 4:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by essxjay
- No 48-page version << Any reports of success having a 48-pager issued when applying in person?
There simply aren't any blank 48 page books being produced. You can, however, request that a passport be issued with an extra set of pages in it at the time of issuance (by simply enclosing a signed letter requesting that the passport be issued with additional pages--I did that last year).
http://travel.state.gov/passport/fri/add/add_850.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.