Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Anybody else been contacted to participate in travel research?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Anybody else been contacted to participate in travel research?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2008, 10:41 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: AA: 2 MM
Originally Posted by opushomes
Without exposing their research strategy, one of the questions was to list all internet resources that you have used to research travel options. Mine was not inclusive but still ran to a full page, 2 columns wide. I actually typed it rather than hand printing it. The hand writing into the notebook took significant time and generated hand cramps, so I resorted to the computer for the one question.

They also asked us to show on separate maps all our domestic travel and international travel in the last year. Since I did over 150k flown miles, this was extensive. They also wanted the number of times I visited and the purpose of the trip. Whether they got the concept of "mileage run" or even noticed it would be informative.
We had a pretty detailed discussion of mileage runs. In light of the fact that they had talked to a Flyertalker, I was surprised at their surprise. I guess each interview probably goes off in different directions. What really surprised me was the amount of time they spent on me and my background and interests that had very little to do with travel.
Old Apr 16, 2008, 1:28 pm

Programs: NW Plat (now they call it DL Diamond) 1MM, soon to be DL Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Dusit Gold
We spent significant time on the issue of www.biddingfortravel.com and www.betterbidding.com. I suggested that the client might consider financially supporting the former and getting Shirl back. This way there would be an independent editorial source of information to assist in bidding. My interviewer spent quite a bit of time on the issue of negotiation. No, I do not think that what I do with their client is a negotiation. It is more like dealing with a used car dealer without being able to test drive the car or know the final price. We also spent probably 1/2 hour on my perception of the client. If they did not edit that part, the client should be surprised as to what I think about them.

BTW: I had a real world situation with them to illustrate my points. I had serendipitously booked four days at the Renaissance Seoul via "name your own price" the day before their visit. Walked the interviewer through the process including the deceptive "increase your bid by X dollars and we will get you a room" lie. Mine was +$17, got 1 night for $5 dollars over and 3 at $6. Also talked about the lie of offering additional nights at the same price and then not being able to deliver. I actually saved over $600 on a 4 consecutive night stay and I was quite sure as to the hotel I'd win due to biddingfortravel.com.

In my homework, some U.S. cities were listed as "mileage run" as the reason for the trip. Now, I know that she did not pick-up on that.

Last edited by opushomes; Apr 16, 2008 at 1:40 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.