Reload this Page >

I hate duvets, a.k.a. "Whatever happened to good old sheets and blankets?"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

I hate duvets, a.k.a. "Whatever happened to good old sheets and blankets?"

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2008, 4:55 pm

Programs: BA something, Luftwaffe SEN, CX Gold, Pilsbury Doughboy Fanclub, and lots of Amex cards
Duvets are absolutely the norm in the uk
So much so, that the first time I went to the US, the first thing I asked in my hotel was 'where is the duvet??'

yuk- Horrible nasty sheets and blankets- especially made from polyester or other static charge holding materials....
Find them too thin, too clingy, and too hot.
Plus there are too many of them and some berk has always tucked them in the end of the bed.
Old Mar 21, 2008, 7:36 pm

Programs: UA 1P, AA Plat, NW SE
Originally Posted by Redhead
I love duvets. If I find a bed with the duvet or sheets/blanket tucked in at the foot, I always kick it loose. I can't stand having my feet constrained in a tight bed.
I agree about hating tucked in covers. I wonder if there's a relationship between loving duvets and wanting loose covers over the feet? I have some friends who love the tucked in foot feeling, maybe those are the people who need blankets and so forth to sleep well.
Old Mar 21, 2008, 9:21 pm
htb

Programs: UA*G(1K), PC Diamond Amb, Marriott Titanium, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by daph
I don't like duvets because the stuffing ends up in one corner or somewhere and is not evenly distributed. And they are often too warm. On the other hand, I am old enough to remember many years of ugly, dark, patterned, polyester or acrylic bedspreads.
You need to experience better duvets then -- with stitchings keeping the stuffing in place.

The ones I used in Germany as a child were just a bag filled with feathers. The ones I use now are stitched to create many smaller compartments.

HTB.
Old Jul 20, 2008, 4:27 pm

I hate hotel duvets, too! And have two solutions.

The duvet scorge is in all hotels all over the world--at least all those I go to. The worst was in a Mumbai Hotel. In that hot, stickly climate in which electric power is precious, sleeping under the thick, hot duvet was possible on by turning the air conditioning down to very cold.

Lately, I (or my wife and I) have been automatically unmaking the bed and dumping the inner pad; then sleeping under the two-sheet duvet cover (in better hotels a third sheet is usually on the bed--which provides a bit more warmth if needed).

But last month in travel to Cardiff, U.K., I had the foresight to email the hotel and request conventional blanket and sheets. They did it! And I slept great.

Yes, I like the clean white look of duvet-equipped hotel rooms--which are the industry's current response to bedspreads of dubious cleanliness. But clean and white surely can be obtained in a less ridiculous way that a heavy duvet.
Old Jul 21, 2008, 11:56 pm

I too love the duvets. I also keep my feet out from under the covers.
Old Jul 22, 2008, 4:35 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
Originally Posted by rich007
The duvet scorge is in all hotels all over the world--at least all those I go to. The worst was in a Mumbai Hotel. In that hot, stickly climate in which electric power is precious, sleeping under the thick, hot duvet was possible on by turning the air conditioning down to very cold.

Lately, I (or my wife and I) have been automatically unmaking the bed and dumping the inner pad; then sleeping under the two-sheet duvet cover (in better hotels a third sheet is usually on the bed--which provides a bit more warmth if needed).

But last month in travel to Cardiff, U.K., I had the foresight to email the hotel and request conventional blanket and sheets. They did it! And I slept great.

Yes, I like the clean white look of duvet-equipped hotel rooms--which are the industry's current response to bedspreads of dubious cleanliness. But clean and white surely can be obtained in a less ridiculous way that a heavy duvet.
You do know that in Cardiff 'conventional' is not blanket and sheets but duvets?

Travel, great for broadening the mind and realising that your reality is not everyone's reality.

Welcome to FT
Old Jul 22, 2008, 5:48 am
Suspended

Programs: Goths R us (diamond)
I absolutely love duvet's.

The one I have on my bed at home is a down duvet bought ~ 10 yrs ago, on sale for $500+. It is truly amazing.

When I lived in a colder clime, it kept me warm. Now that I am in a warm clime, it keeps me cool. It is very thick but very light.

My boyfriend was so amazed with it that the one time I was going to his place for a week, he asked me to bring it. Um yeah, I did that alright
Old Jul 22, 2008, 11:07 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Living the dream in Antigua and the nightmare in Florida
Programs: AA PLAT 2MM, *A Gold, WN detractor
I am proud to be an anti-duvite! As many others have stated, I can never get the temperature regulated. I often end up with one leg under and one leg over, which does not lead to a satisfying night of sleep. And don't get me started on unregulated radiators in European boutique hotels...
Old Jul 22, 2008, 12:47 pm

I actually find that a duvet and feather bed keep my body the most comfortable ... cool in summer and warm in winter.
Old Jul 22, 2008, 6:34 pm

Programs: AA Plat/1MM
Originally Posted by threeatms
I actually find that a duvet and feather bed keep my body the most comfortable ... cool in summer and warm in winter.
Totally agree, so much so that we have switched to duvets in our vacation rental. Aside from comfort, it's so much cleaner! The housekeeper launders the duvet cover between guests. Much more sanitary than having the comforter dry cleaned every few monthes.
Old Jul 22, 2008, 10:55 pm

I also like the fact that most hotels that do use duvets use white ones - it makes me FEEL a little more comfortable that they have been cleaned versus the patterned comforters that were used before.
Old Jul 23, 2008, 8:02 am

I find there's a distinction transatlantic between bedding. In the UK people have mattress, fitted sheet, duvet. In the US it tends to be mattress, fitted sheet, flat sheet, blanket, another sheet, lots of pillows..
Old Jul 23, 2008, 1:19 pm

Duvet all the way!!!

As an ex-pat in the US, I brought all my bedding here with me. Sheets, etc. are fine, but for me nowhere nearly as comfy as my duvet and down pillows.
Old Jul 23, 2008, 1:48 pm

My US wife gets all her sheeting flown in from the states for the same reason. Only tricky one was getting the pottery barn california king over. Well, that and financing an apartment big enough to put it in in London
Old Jul 30, 2008, 1:50 am
formerly Baxter&Bessies'Mama

Aaauuugghhh!

Just flew Biz on SA. A nice meal, an Amarula , a full bed and then, ugh, out comes the hated duvets! I had changed into my sweats for a really comfy sleep and I was just so hot! Kicked off the duvet and covered myself with my Pashmina. Now a little chilly, so annoying!!!

However all my fellow flyer looked snug as bugs, so clearly I am Miss Fuss Budget!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.