I hate duvets, a.k.a. "Whatever happened to good old sheets and blankets?"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

I hate duvets, a.k.a. "Whatever happened to good old sheets and blankets?"

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2008, 8:11 am

Programs: CO
Most high-end department stores now carry duvets and duvet covers here in the States.

The covers are slightly more difficult to find. If you have a sewing machine or an agreeable tailor, you can buy two flat sheets in any pattern to fit that size, and sew three (right) sides together, sew velcro closures on the fourth, turn it right-side out, and you have an instant duvet cover for much less.
Old Mar 20, 2008, 8:30 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Gold, United 1K
Don't go to Iceland if you hate Duvets! The SAS Island hotel puts the following on the mattress:
  • fitted bottom sheet
  • duvet in cover
  • two pillows

That's it. No multitude of annoying useless pillows like the US of A!

I actually love duvets for two reasons:
  1. They're actually warm, so the unpredictable hotel climate control can be mitigated
  2. They have a laundered cover so I have less worry about hotel bedspread cooties
Old Mar 20, 2008, 8:35 am

I much prefer a duvet with duvet cover and sheet underneath it (i.e. two layers of frequently washed linen between me and it) than a blanket with a sheet (i.e. one layer of frequently washed linen between me and it).

I also find duvet being warmer and lighter. Blankets can feel heavy even if it's not that heavy,
Old Mar 20, 2008, 10:53 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, Marriot Lifetime Gold
I love duvets. If I find a bed with the duvet or sheets/blanket tucked in at the foot, I always kick it loose. I can't stand having my feet constrained in a tight bed.
Old Mar 20, 2008, 11:10 am
formerly Baxter&Bessies'Mama

Originally Posted by Chuckles
ditto here.
Auughhh!!! Hate, hate, hate them! I have a note in my Hilton profile to make my bed with sheets and a blanket.

And as if I didn't hate them already, several recent stays in Germany have turned up a new and even more annoying trend. 2 individual duvets on a King Bed. What is up with that??? If you're a single, you can't roll over to the other side and remain covered. And if you're a couple, how do you snuggle in the middle?
Old Mar 20, 2008, 11:36 am

Programs: UA
The first time I encountered a duvet was at my Norwegian boyfriend's house. I was so fascinated that we went to Ikea so I could get myself one.

I'm now with a better duvet and much better boyfriend and I wouldn't trade either.

I've bought cheap duvet covers for my cherubs' comforters when they were getting ratty and that worked rather well. I have several duvet covers and it's nice to change the look of my room with something so simple as changing the cover.

My cats love the current duvet cover, which is brocade on one side and cotton on the other. I do, too!
Old Mar 20, 2008, 11:48 am

Programs: SPG Gold; UA 2P
Originally Posted by erik123
A high quality down filled king-size duvet can easily cost $1000+ (in Europe). The quality of the down and the stitching (keeping the down in place) is what makes a great duvet. I would not recommend buying a duvet on-line if you want what a high quality Euopean style duvet.
I have an expensive Duxiana duvet that I love love love. But I also have a cheaper, thinner, down Duvet that I use during the winter months. There's a market and tangible difference in quality, but the cheaper one is perfectly passable and usable.
Old Mar 20, 2008, 12:28 pm

While we are discussing duvets, I have to add that silk duvets are lovely (filled with silk and covered in silk cloth). It's warm in winter and cool in summer (within limits, of course).
Old Mar 20, 2008, 2:34 pm

Programs: Demoted to gold, Cats protection
Duvets have a tog value, around 5 for summer, 10-12 for general use and 15 for winter. We have always had duvets since I was a child and when we stay in US hotels we always have a good laugh at the sheets and blankets as its something associated with hospitals and old people, now we take a duvet cover to put the assorted coverings into so we can sleep. The climate in western Europe doesnt seem to vary between such huge extremes so people get used to using a duvet, we dont have heating on or air conditioning in our house because we dont need it, there are about 5 days a year when we use just the duvet cover because its too hot.
European bed sizes arent as huge so it may be harder to get duvets to fit US beds from over here, we have a 4ft 6 inch double bed with king size being around 5 ft wide
Old Mar 20, 2008, 2:50 pm

Originally Posted by Baxter&Bessies'Mama
And as if I didn't hate them already, several recent stays in Germany have turned up a new and even more annoying trend. 2 individual duvets on a King Bed. What is up with that??? If you're a single, you can't roll over to the other side and remain covered. And if you're a couple, how do you snuggle in the middle?
Hardly new. There are ONLY individuals duvets in Germany, well maybe with the exception of a few hotels catering to foreign tourists. Most locals feel they would rather not fight with their loved one over it The largest you can buy in a store would be an individual super-size comforter. And btw not too many people have queen or king beds either - standard for couples is two twins next to each other.
Old Mar 20, 2008, 3:13 pm

Originally Posted by Baxter&Bessies'Mama
I used to hate the two-duvets-on-a-bed system, until I realised a great benefit which is... "No duvet war with the spouse!"
Old Mar 20, 2008, 3:31 pm

Programs: BA Blue forever!
I don't like duvets because the stuffing ends up in one corner or somewhere and is not evenly distributed. And they are often too warm. On the other hand, I am old enough to remember many years of ugly, dark, patterned, polyester or acrylic bedspreads.
Old Mar 21, 2008, 7:51 am

Programs: CO
I guess we've been married "too long". When we lived in Germany, we got used to having separate covers.

I'm on my second pot of coffee this morning. My husband spent the whole night yanking the duvet away to roll up mummy-style, and I'm thinking about buying a new king-sized frame with two twin sets so I can have my own covers again.
Old Mar 21, 2008, 12:21 pm

Programs: AA, Delta, United, SPG plat, Hyatt dia
Marriott's Duvets are horrid suffocating creatures
Westin is better since they have two-and easier to regulate.
But I really prefer a triple sheeted bed with sheets of good quality-that is what I do at home.
Old Mar 21, 2008, 1:14 pm

Programs: Demoted to gold, Cats protection
Originally Posted by hausfrau
I guess we've been married "too long". When we lived in Germany, we got used to having separate covers.

I'm on my second pot of coffee this morning. My husband spent the whole night yanking the duvet away to roll up mummy-style, and I'm thinking about buying a new king-sized frame with two twin sets so I can have my own covers again.

you have been "quilt monstered" somtimes its just the fact that you are wearing nightclothes under thebed that results in quilt monstering, can also be caused by cats or dogs sleeping on the bed as they take up any of the slack in the quilt

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.