Wiki Posts
Search

Travel Agency

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2008, 8:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta PM, HH, CRC
Travel Agency

Anyone ever thought about starting a travel agency? I'm thinking about it, it's somehting I'm pasionate about, and I honestly dont really like my real job. hehe (I'm sure I'm not alone in that)

Just wondering if anyone else had ever thought about it, or even went through with it and are successful as a travel person.
Old Jan 23, 2008, 4:39 pm

Greetings

I have opened, operated, closed and sold several travel companies.

While rewarding, this is a tough industry.

I have been involved in travel for over 25 years and my belief today is: Find a Niche and go after that.

You can approach this in two ways.

Find an existing agency and book your business through them with a shared commission agreement.
This avoids opening up a whole new business and lets you be an independent contractor.

If this is not to your liking: start your process to get an ARC-Airline Reporting Corporation license, which allows you to issue airline tickets and receive commissions from travel suppliers.
The web site to get started is:
http://www.arccorp.com/

Be warned, this is a very long and tedious process with many forms to be filled out.
Again, my recommendation is to join an existing agency, see if you like the Travel Industry and if you can generate sustainable revenue and if you are successful you can then go out on your own.

With so many online competitors, it is harder and harder to make it in the travel industry. The successful agencies appear to be specializing in various destinations.

There are "host" agencies that you can work with and their ads can be found in www.travelweekly.com or www.travelagent.com

Hope this helps

I am happy to provide more info if you need.
Old Jan 23, 2008, 6:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My younger brother operates a TA. He worked two years with another agency before starting his own business.
Old Jan 24, 2008, 2:06 am

i did owned and ran a TA years ago,that's right,"this is a tough industry".

i'm not in us but i think things go different ways to same destnations.
Old Jan 24, 2008, 9:10 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the info, I'll check those links out. I've got a few ideas as far as niche, still mulling over the idea. Like I said, It's something I love, so If I could make what I'm making now with a real job, I'd be very happy.

Someone has to go review the hotels right? hehehe .. might as wel be he!!
Old Jan 24, 2008, 9:20 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by skimelance
Greetings
If this is not to your liking: start your process to get an ARC-Airline Reporting Corporation license, which allows you to issue airline tickets and receive commissions from travel suppliers.
The web site to get started is:
http://www.arccorp.com/
How much does ARC cost? I cant seem to find it online anywhere?
Old Jan 24, 2008, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by stevenryals
How much does ARC cost? I cant seem to find it online anywhere?
It is a complicated process. You need to be bonded, have a GDS contract, etc., to issue tickets. You might really want to work for an agency for a bit to see all the ins and outs. It is quite tedious - you'll spend most of your time tracking commissions, trying to work deals for higher commissions with preferred suppliers, etc. Seriously, sell for an agency for a while.
Old Jan 24, 2008, 9:52 am
Original Poster

You have convinced me! That was easy wasnt it!

Any suggestions as for a good agency to join? Anyone who you have worked with or heard is a good "partner" of sorts.
Old Jan 24, 2008, 9:56 am

Programs: Haven't been flying for a while... :(
There are a scattering of threads about Nexion the host agent group (owned by SABRE) on TravelBuzz.
Old Jan 24, 2008, 10:11 am
Original Poster

thanks
Old Jan 24, 2008, 4:21 pm

If you need a great sabre guide to get started, let me know. I've heard good things about nexion.
Old Jan 25, 2008, 6:57 am
Original Poster

I've been in touch with Nexion.. so.. I'll need IATA #, ARC, & Some online training... so.. hopefully I'll get on that quickly and get to selling..

I figure if I can make an extrea 10k per year, that'll get me a few extra vacations hehehe

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.