Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

I have quit my job..I want to see the world! where shall I go?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

I have quit my job..I want to see the world! where shall I go?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2008, 3:28 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Marathon Man
You can get a new job any time.

Sure, when you get back to reality, you may need to fool around with your resume, but having been a recruiter, it ALL comes down to how you answer to those gaps on the resume, not whether you have gaps on the resume.

So if you travel and you do ANY "research" or anything related to that which is your career path, document it and get references. For example, if you had been a geologist and you ended up hiking up Australia's ULURU (Ayer's Rock) after living in the desert for 6 months, take pics and tell the next job all about the rock formations. "Well I met the local tribal leader who gave me history on some land in this area. He's the head of blah blah blah there now..."

Just don't tell the next hiring manager "how sick it was to be on the beach all day, dude," and how it was "totally cool to be free and act young again." This wont land you the job because he's jealous you got to LIVE while he was stuck in a cubicle coming home each night to his fat wife!

LOL Why does he have to have a fat wife? it just made me laugh out loud.

I think doing something you love is much more important than a great job, unless its doing what you love all dayand getting paid for it and my job doesnt fall into that catergory.

I think when I am on my death bed I would rather have lived for the moment and enjoyed life. Who really cares about a 70grand job (apart from my mom) that I hate and the 60/80 hour weeks are a joke. Even if I cant get a job when I get back and I have to flipping burgers in Mcdonalds for the rest of life, I really wouldnt care at least I did what I loved.
Old Jan 22, 2008, 3:41 pm
Original Poster

Tell me what you would have done differently?

Originally Posted by mcrt
OK, I’m crashing for the night. One last thing, I have *.gpx files that can be opened on Google Earth that show the path I took and roughly where I stayed each night of year one. I am willing to share these.

I’ll write more later.
gpx files would be great.
Old Jan 22, 2008, 4:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think I would prefer to relax and spend more time with families and friends once I retire and no longer work. Right now flying is just part of my work that I have to put up with.
Old Jan 22, 2008, 5:10 pm
Original Poster

Thank you so much everyone you have been more than helpful.

I am looking at the sites recommended. Its quite difficult trying to reseach my trip ( I could be this 24/7) and doing another 70 hour week in job I dont what to be anymore but having to stay really focused because I couldnt live with myself if I screwed. but I suppose the motivation is the light at the end of the tunnel.

I am still trying to figure out which country I should start from where its sunny. I was thinking of doing South America for 6 months but it looks like April will be Autum so I think thats out for now.

So far I have so of narrowed things down in order of what countries are near each other than I want to see.

South Africa, Zimbabwe , Zambia, Mozambique, Madagascar, Seychelles Tanzania, Kenya??, Morocco, Tunisia, Libya, Egpty, Saudi Arabia and Iran Stay in this part of the world of about 8months.

Pakistan, India, Nepal, Bangladesh, China, Laos, Thailand, Vietnaum, Philipines, Malaysia, Singapore and Indonesia stay here for another 8months

Chile Argentina, Paraguay, Bolivia,Peru, Brazil, Ecador, Colombia, Venezula, Guyana then the Caribbean, Cuba, Costa Rica, Mexico, USA, Canada again 8 months.

I decided to miss Australia and New Zealand out for now, I can go there any time besides its like England with a bit of sun (only kidding). I though if I wanted to stay and travel longer then I will get a working visa and spend a year there. Also missed out Europe its on my door step and costs nothing to get there so that can wait.

So how does that plan sound and suggestions are welcome. At this stage everything is still flexible. A couple of the places I am planning on doing some tours any recommendations?
Old Jan 22, 2008, 8:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
So many destinations in Africa and Asia. I tend to get bored of one culture. I spent three months in Europe and finally got cathedralized. Seeing castles and cathedrals became routine and the added interest began to diminish. If I were doing things I would take a sample of one area.
Old Jan 22, 2008, 11:28 pm

One thing I realized I forgot from my long post last night is be willing to spend a little extra on occasion for the unique experiences and souvenirs. There are times when I look back and think it would have been nice to have some little thing that I could have bought as a reminder or something that I didn't do because it would have cost $20. I did a lot of things that others I met along the way didn't do because the were tired or didn't want to spend the money, but for me the night safari in Botswana or going to the Gellert Baths in Budapest add great memories to the adventures.

I'm still wishing I had gone back to the hotel spa in Bangkok for another massage (legitimate). I had one when I arrived, I think it was about $20 for two hours. I should have had another before I left the country.
Old Jan 23, 2008, 7:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DazedandConfused78
I am still trying to figure out which country I should start from where its sunny. I was thinking of doing South America for 6 months but it looks like April will be Autum so I think thats out for now.

I'd say do more research...
Look into it again.
April's autumn in Argentina and Chile, but you can start from the North in Ecuador/Venezuela/Colombia/Guyana, where it's sunny all year long... I was in Maracaibo in June 2005...38C warm enough for you?

Then work your way down to Brazil (parts of which are also warm all year long) and Peru, to reach Argentina just in time for the spring!

Oh, and, unless you have some well-connected friends there, I'd skip Saudi (even more so if you're female!).
Old Jan 23, 2008, 9:38 pm

Programs: FB, EB, Delta, AC, PC, HH.
Originally Posted by uncertaintraveler
Does that include all transportation costs for 1 (or 2) year(s)?

Can you obtain a working holiday visa in Australia or NZ? If so, it might be worth looking into getting one.
I was just going to suggest something similar. Presuming you are under 30, look at BUNAC for Canada. It will give you an open work permit for one year and you can take any job you want. Go to www.britishexpats.com for more info on BUNAC (read the wiki there on Canada, Australia and US for information on gap year possibilities.)

I think there is a similar system for US.

As you are in UK I presume you hold a UK passport. You can work anywhere in EU on that.
Old Jan 24, 2008, 8:10 am

Programs: NW Gold and now Delta Gold
I wonder how you know what old people want at age 29. Have you asked them? Maybe it's because I'm an American, but most of them that I've talked to, and I've talked to a lot, put a premium on money and financial security, without which there is no independence in old age and no one willing to listen to your stories of some long ago glory days.

I also post on the thorntree at lonelyplanet -- which I think as a potential backpacker you should also visit. Many younger people travel for no purpose, without any idea of why they are traveling. What a waste! I am glad that I am traveling now, when I'm older, because I have an idea of the purpose of my travels and what I'm looking to see, do, and accomplish. You, on the other hand, seem to have to come to the internet to ask other people what to do. It would be a shame to spend a large sum of money and time, only to realize years later, that you didn't focus on your interests, because you hadn't yet figured out what they were.

This terrible hurry to "do something" because you are 29 and think you will be old at 30 will look awfully silly in another 20 years. What's the rush?

Often, the older you get, the EASIER it is to live the dream, for the plain and simple reason that you finally know yourself. What you think you know -- that travel will be "harder" when you're older, that life is too short to spend paying our bills -- isn't knowledge, it's a lot of cliches.

Originally Posted by DazedandConfused78;9096181\
Many old people would rather have great stories to tell their great grand kids, not obsolete goods to give to them when their time on earth is up.
I think life is tooo short to spend it struggling to pay bills....
I am 29 and I know the older I get the harder it would be to live this dream, so why not do it now, if not now then when?
Old Jan 24, 2008, 8:39 am

Portions of the post that previously appeared in this space have been deleted. I would provide you with a reason why, but doing so would likely be against the TOS.

Last edited by uncertaintraveler; Dec 18, 2008 at 2:55 pm
Old Jan 24, 2008, 5:24 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by peachfront
I wonder how you know what old people want at age 29. Have you asked them?
Well It just so happens that I talk to people (not just the old though) all day long for my job. Most people are with me for an hour and I roughly get to see about 11 clients a day now that alot of people and alot of talking and asking questions and gauging from what most people (of course not all) tell me is that if they had half the chance I have now, when they were younger they would have loved to have the courage to go travelling alone and discover the world.

I also post on the thorntree at lonelyplanet -- which I think as a potential backpacker you should also visit. Many younger people travel for no purpose, without any idea of why they aretravelling. What a waste! I am glad that I am travelling now, when I'm older, because I have an idea of the purpose of my travels and what I'm looking to see, do, and accomplish.
I visit Lonelyplanet and other site. I think alot of people not just the young people travel for no particular reason other than they have a week off work but, then again I haven't taken the time out to survey these people for reasons they are travelling and what they hope to get out of it other than a suntan.
You, on the other hand, seem to have to come to the Internet to ask other people what to do. It would be a shame to spend a large sum of money and time, only to realize years later, that you didn't focus on your interests, because you hadn't yet figured out what they were.
Like I said before in this post that I am interested in spending time doing some volunteer work, so I know what my interests are. I think these day its common to ask people over the Internet who share the same interests to give advice and share their stories.
Like you said when you travel you have a purpose, now that you are older. well, the reason I am here asking questions from a well travelled group is just that. I want my 2 years away to have a purpose and on here and other site I get great advice and tip of where to go. I am still at the planning stage of my adventure and I appreciate the time peeps have taken to reply to my questions.

This terrible hurry to "do something" because you are 29 and think you will be old at 30 will look awfully silly in another 20 years. What's the rush?
Who says I will be old at 30?? Hell I don't think so. I didn't realise that I had to wait till I get to 80 or whatever to start making my dreams a reality. There is no rush but I do have other dreams to make a reality, this is just higher on my list of things to do. Its taken 5 years of saving up a little every month and now I feel the time is right.

Often, the older you get, the EASIER it is to live the dream, for the plain and simple reason that you finally know yourself.
There is no sguarantee that I am going to get old,there is no guarantees that I am going to be fit and health or be still here tomorrow. like my dad says don't plan to start living tomorrow because tomorrow might never come.

What you think you know -- that travel will be "harder" when you're older, that life is too short to spend paying our bills -- isn't knowledge, it's a lot of cliches.
Cliche well, I once read "ask yourself what you enjoy doing, then ask yourself why you are not doing it." My answer definitely wasn't I enjoy paying my bills.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.