Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

I have quit my job..I want to see the world! where shall I go?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

I have quit my job..I want to see the world! where shall I go?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2008, 8:15 am
Original Poster

Talking I have quit my job..I want to see the world! where shall I go?

I am working my notice after quitting my job. I want to see the world. I plan on take a year or 2 out and go travelling to as many countries as possible on a budget

I can anyone give me tips on where to go which way round the world is the best, RTW tickets anything that may be helpful will be appreciated. I plan on leaving England in April.

I cant wait

many thanks in advance.
Old Jan 17, 2008, 8:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
One might start with his local library. Libraries can be great places for research, and if one doesn't know how to research, the staff can offer training.
Old Jan 17, 2008, 8:28 am
Original Poster

Oh thanks for that. I am in the middle of doing some reseach and reading a bunch of books but I thought you guys must have valuable tips on where you`ve been, always nice to hear it straight from the horse`s mouth so to speak.
Old Jan 17, 2008, 8:35 am

What is your budget?
Old Jan 17, 2008, 8:45 am
Original Poster

£15,000 and I am planning no doing some work here and there is necessary.
Old Jan 17, 2008, 8:48 am

Congratulations. I took 2.5 years off work, 1.5 was out of the country. This post is primarily so I can find the thread again tonight when I have more time.
Old Jan 17, 2008, 8:57 am
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Elite
You may also want to check out the Alliance forums on FT. Especially if you are thinking of an Around The World ticket. Lots of great information available there.

You probably want to decide what major places you want to go... and a routing... and see what other places can be visited while doing that... the locations might dictate which Alliance you focus on.

William
Old Jan 17, 2008, 8:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Have you thought about a RTW cruise? It may not go exactly where you want, but it gives you a pretty good tour.

Mike
Old Jan 17, 2008, 8:59 am
Original Poster

m crt welldone for taking so long off. I must admit that it was scary to resign from a great job. I havent told my mum yet she is going to have a fit after I work so hard to get where I am at but I figure what the hell there is more to life than 4 week holidays a year. I know I have made the right choice for me. by the way the link www.eastafricancenter.org. was really helpful as I am looking to spend a major part of my time doing some voluntee work but some companies are stupidly expensive.
Old Jan 17, 2008, 9:20 am
Original Poster

A cruise hadnt crossed my mind at all. good idea. I will look into take.
Old Jan 17, 2008, 9:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DazedandConfused78
...what the hell there is more to life than 4 week holidays a year.
You Europeans are so spoiled!
Old Jan 17, 2008, 9:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

First of all, welcome to Flyertalk DazedandConfused78!
It's a fantastic plan that you have.
Doing some research for cheap RTW ticket is a good start. You need one to cover your intercontinental flights and/or those to/from places that are not easy to access (e.g. Central Asia, many parts of Africa).
Given your budget and the fact that some of the travelling may take quite long, I would be inclined to go to less developed parts of the world. I mean, you will eventually come back to England, and probably be earning a salary again, and then you'll be able to do a weekend in Paris/Madrid or 4 days in New York without having to change multiple flights or worry about an extra £10 per hotel night.
Therefore, and contrary to what most backpackers etc tend to do, I'd say avoid the USA and only go to Oceania if you 've always wanted to go there (Australia and NZ aren't THAT culturally different from the UK- I mean you could be in Mongolia instead!), and generally try to see as many off-the-beaten-track places as possible.
With all that said, £15000 is quite a bit of money. An extended tour of South America would be very high on my list, as it combines world-class sightseeing, beaches and entertainment options while also being very affordable. I've only been to Venezuela, which I really liked, but I've heard great things about many other places, including Colombia (apparently it's a lot safer now than it used to be just 2-3 years ago), Bolivia, Peru in addition to Brazil, Uruguay and Argentina which are the obvious big destinations of the region.

Other interesting and reasonably priced places include the less touristy bits of the Mediterranean (e.g. Corsica, Sicily, Libya, Slovenia, islands in the NE Aegean, Lebanon, Jordan, possibly even the Albanian coast), parts of Central Asia (Mongolia, Kazakhstan, Western China) and Western Africa.

If you have specific questions about a potential destination, go into the forum that's under Travel and dining -> Destination: The World. There are sub-fora there for various countries and continents where you can find or ask for and receive a lot of information.
Old Jan 17, 2008, 9:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BigLar
You Europeans are so spoiled!
Sure. We have very little child labour, virtually no slavery, great access to drinking water and paved roads!

Oh, wait, you aren't from Sierra Leone.
Old Jan 17, 2008, 9:38 am

Portions of the post that previously appeared in this space have been deleted. I would provide you with a reason why, but doing so would likely be against the TOS.

Last edited by uncertaintraveler; Dec 18, 2008 at 2:57 pm
Old Jan 17, 2008, 9:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by uncertaintraveler
NZ (a few months, say 2 or 3, more if you have a WHV), Australia (possibly 3 or longer, depending on your interests and if you can get a WHV), up the typical backpacker trail in SE Asia (taking around 3 to 4 months), overland through China and (i) up to Russia (perhaps by direct train, or through the 'Stans on a silk road tour); or (ii) down to Nepal and India, over to Pakistan and back up to China, and back to Europe.
So you suggest spending 6 months in Australia/NZ and not visiting Africa at all?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.