Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

I have quit my job..I want to see the world! where shall I go?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

I have quit my job..I want to see the world! where shall I go?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2008, 8:25 pm

Originally Posted by travelpro2008
I never heard of somebody quiting a job because they want to see the world, I would rather start with a visit to a phsychiatrist than to travel info sites, this requires some really serious evaluation.
Is it just me or is this a bad troll? Come on, under programs she/he says: "Traveling Around from Country to country"; but yet they think traveling around is "crazy"? Troll.
Old Jan 18, 2008, 8:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
I'll tell ya, for many years when I was in graphic design, I was doing a lot of freelance work. In fact, that industry all but FORCES you to be the freelancer (and rarely "full time") so you really have to work it hard or you find yourself on the street a lot. While MA is a hire-at-will state, meaning that technically speaking, any company can fire you on the spot at any time, most generally do not without some form of wind down or exit strategy... It saves face, avoids potential problems and often adheres to the ethics or perceived morales of a corporate policy, adhered to basic and general understood concepts held by HR departments all over the country.

BUT, when you are a freelancer, it's like SEE YA! they can just say BYE BYE no matter how good you are, because they dont need you today or this week or whatever.

Oh sure, many will still not just DO that without reason, and if you are really good, you probably have work, but there are always those dark and unsure times, and you need to live in a different mindset all the time. Unlike your friends or family, your work world is less sure all the time, so you may even loathe being in it!

I did, and it made me do a few things:

1) quit or get used to being out of work a lot. (having to work for myself a lot too)

2) not have tons of faith in the system

3) be creative to make it work for me

4) travel--and want to travel because hey, I could and should!

5) realize that one can get busy living or get busy dying. I would rather work to live than live to work. I could get odd jobs at any time in those early years.

6) change careers--enhance that which I was doing to be more useful elsewhere... and I eventually got there, so now I'm much better off. And now I am "consultant" not "freelancer."
Old Jan 18, 2008, 9:04 pm

U.S. State Dept. Foreign Travel Warnings & Alerts

Originally Posted by DazedandConfused78
I am working my notice after quitting my job. I want to see the world. I plan on take a year or 2 out and go travelling to as many countries as possible on a budget

I can anyone give me tips on where to go which way round the world is the best, RTW tickets anything that may be helpful will be appreciated. I plan on leaving England in April.

I cant wait

many thanks in advance.

Please do take time to stay abreast of political situations
by reading the official State Department website

The information can be as useful to a traveller from UK, Canada or
elsewhere, as it is for US citizens travelling.

http://travel.state.gov/

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_p...w/tw_1764.html

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_p...a/pa_1766.html

Current Travel Warnings Friday January 18, 2008:

Travel Warnings are issued to describe long-term, protracted conditions that make a country dangerous or unstable.

A Travel Warning is also issued when the U.S. Government's ability to assist American citizens is constrained due to the closure of an embassy or consulate or because of a drawdown of its staff. The countries listed below meet those criteria.

Additionally, the State Department issues Country Specific Information for every country of the world with information on such matters as the health conditions, crime, unusual currency or entry requirements, any areas of instability, and the location of the nearest U.S. embassy or consulate in the subject country.

Eritrea 01/18/2008
Congo, Democratic Republic of the 01/08/2008
Chad 01/03/2008
Iran 01/03/2008
Algeria 12/23/2007

Saudi Arabia 12/19/2007
Burundi 12/10/2007
Côte d'Ivoire 12/05/2007
Somalia 11/13/2007
Iraq 11/02/2007

Nigeria 10/30/2007
Uzbekistan 10/25/2007
Sri Lanka 10/19/2007
Kenya 10/18/2007
Lebanon 10/17/2007

Indonesia 10/05/2007
Yemen 09/24/2007
Nepal 09/24/2007
Pakistan 09/21/2007
Syria 09/18/2007

Timor-Leste 09/12/2007
Sudan 09/06/2007
Haiti 08/31/2007
Central African Republic 08/09/2007
Israel, the West Bank and Gaza 07/13/2007

Colombia 06/04/2007
Philippines 04/27/2007
Afghanistan 04/04/2007

Current Travel Alerts Friday, January 18, 2008:

The State Department issues Travel Alerts to disseminate information quickly about terrorist threats and other relatively short-term conditions that pose significant risks or disruptions to Americans. The current Travel Alerts are listed below. In addition to this list, the State Department issues Country Specific Information for every country of the world with information on such matters as the health conditions, crime, unusual currency or entry requirements, any areas of instability, and the location of the nearest embassy or consulate in the subject country.

Kenya 01/11/2008
Lebanon 11/26/2007
Mali 11/02/2007
Fiji 11/02/2007
Mexico 10/24/2007

U K Foreign and Commonwealth Office Travel Advice
Contact details for official FCO Travel Advice notices for over 200 countries based on the most accurate and up-to-date information available
Foreign and Commonwealth Office Travel Advice

Contact point Foreign and Commonwealth Office Travel Advice Address Consular Directorate
Foreign & Commonwealth Office
Old Admirality Building
London
SW1A 2PA Phone number Travel advice
08458 502 829
Visa Enquiries
08450 105 555 Fax 020 7008 0155 Email address [email protected] Website (opens new window) http://www.fco.gov.uk/travel

Last edited by Krakajax; Jan 18, 2008 at 9:15 pm
Old Jan 18, 2008, 9:17 pm

I am working my notice after quitting my job. I want to see the world. I plan on take a year or 2 out and go travelling to as many countries as possible on a budget

I can anyone give me tips on where to go which way round the world is the best, RTW tickets anything that may be helpful will be appreciated. I plan on leaving England in April.

I cant wait

many thanks in advance.
CHEAP CHEAP---

Great Untouched Beaches: Mozambique Africa

Buenos Aires (Argentina) South America

San Jose Costa Rica (Central America)

Eastern Europe: Lativa, Romania,

dont forget l*Old Prague* and/o "Old Lisbon" --
BUT skip the rest of Central Europe

Be sure to Stay away from the usual tourist craps, er, traps, and paths.

You're NOT missing anything in US, Canada, Australia or New Zeland
being Brit.

Last edited by Krakajax; Jan 18, 2008 at 9:47 pm
Old Jan 18, 2008, 9:26 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO
Congrats. I'm doing a similar thing - my last day of work is March 30th and I'm taking off about 2.5 years to travel. My plans are:

1) Two month road trip of USA.

2) 4-5 months Driving the Pan American Highway and exploring South America.

3) 3 months R&R visiting family I haven't spent much time with in several years. Also going to train hard for a Himalayan expedition in Nepal.

4) 8 month RTW begining with 3-4 Nepal mountain expedition.

5) 10 month African Safari.

My trips around the US, South America, and RTW will be with various friends. Africa I will have to go myself.
Old Jan 18, 2008, 9:32 pm
Suspended

I can think of 2 ways that I'd like to do it.

1. Live in a place for 2-4 months. This could allow some work. Jan-Feb: Singapore; Feb-Apr: Sydney or Melbourne; Apr-May: Osaka; June-Aug: Los Angeles; Sept-Oct: Rio de Janiero or Santiago, Nov-Dec: Capetown; Jan: Malaga; Feb: Miami; Mar: New York; Apr-May: London; June: Vienna. That's 18 months. While living in a city, one may visit nearby places for a weekend or a week at a time.

2. Continuously traveling. Laundry is a slight, but solvable problem as is transporting luggage. Keep moving in one direction. RTW fare often have a 1year time limit and limits on number of segments. While in the US/Canada or Europe, might have a car and drive.

A few years ago a Japanese couple was traveling the world. When they reached Bethlehem (Palestine)...(oh, them fightin' words) in 2002, they were surprised that the Church of the Nativity was occupied by gunmen and they were not far from the shooting (maybe 100m away). They said they never read newspapers.
Old Jan 18, 2008, 9:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I strongly believe that LIFE is not about the acquisition of material goods or money, Its about the acquisition of great memories!! Many old people would rather have great stories to tell their great grand kids, not obsolete goods to give to them when their time on earth is up.
I think life is tooo short to spend it struggling to pay bills. I figured that I didnt come on this earth hankering for the grind of a 9-5 existence or to taste the exhiliration of a traffic jams or the delights of getting to 90 and regretting on having taken more risks.

I am 29 and I know the older I get the harder it would be to live this dream, so why not do it now, if not now then when?
Don't worry about it. Virtually everyone on here is on your side.
Old Jan 18, 2008, 9:43 pm

Originally Posted by Marathon Man

5) realize that one can get busy living or get busy dying. I would rather work to live than live to work. I could get odd jobs at any time in those early years.
This is my reasoning right now. I'm 25 and have spent the last four years as a workaholic working 80-100 hours per week without exception. Sure I've earned some rewards (lots of career advancement and $$), but I haven't lived at all. Recent changes have turned my job from one I genuinely liked to one filled with frustration and anger...not a healthy or satisfying combination. As a single person with nothing tying me down, I need to do this now before I find another job. I've come to realize now that with my formally fun job effectively gone (I have to quit or I'll go crazy), I have to start living outside work. Also the era for anyone traveling extensively with US Dollars is quickly coming to an end. The 40-50K I'll spend is a relatively very small amount in the grand scheme of things.
Old Jan 18, 2008, 10:04 pm

Some ideas to rattle your noggin

Originally Posted by vxmike
Congrats. I'm doing a similar thing - my last day of work is March 30th and I'm taking off about 2.5 years to travel. My plans are:

1) Two month road trip of USA.

2) 4-5 months Driving the Pan American Highway and exploring South America.

3) 3 months R&R visiting family I haven't spent much time with in several years. Also going to train hard for a Himalayan expedition in Nepal.

4) 8 month RTW begining with 3-4 Nepal mountain expedition.

5) 10 month African Safari.

My trips around the US, South America, and RTW will be with various friends. Africa I will have to go myself.

Rent an RV for that USA roadtrip.
Think about some extra time in Pacific Northwest,
ie Portland Oregon - Seattle Washington.

from Seattle short hop up north to Vancouver BC

Suggest Boston, New Bedford & Cape Cod to Hartford / New Haven (Yale), Connecticut on to New York then choose either to go north along northern border through the mountains, the Cascades, Columbia Gouge, to
Portland OR / Seattle W/ Vancouver BC Canada / up to Alaska/back down coast to Los Angeles, across southern border El Paso, etc to Dallas/San Antonio to New Orleans, Mobile AL, Pensacola, FL, Jacksonville to Orlando, then up coast to Charleston SC, and noth to Washington DC, Baltimore, Philadelphia and fly home from Philly or Boston.

OR you can do a train trip/excursion via Amtrak -- Start at Boston, go to NYC, up the hudson to Chicago, across country on the Empire Builder to Seattle, Talgo to/from Vancouver, BC, down coast on Coast Starlight to LA,
across southern border to El Paso, San Antonio, dallas, up on Texas Eagle to Chicago across to Capitol Limited to Washington DC via famous Pennsylvania Horseshoe and West Virginia mountains -- north to Baltimore and or Philadelphia and then fly home....

or train one way and fly back the other --- see Amtrak for these kind of deals...

Good luck
Old Jan 18, 2008, 10:09 pm

Originally Posted by vxmike
This is my reasoning right now. I'm 25 and have spent the last four years as a workaholic working 80-100 hours per week without exception. Sure I've earned some rewards (lots of career advancement and $$), but I haven't lived at all. Recent changes have turned my job from one I genuinely liked to one filled with frustration and anger...not a healthy or satisfying combination. As a single person with nothing tying me down, I need to do this now before I find another job. I've come to realize now that with my formally fun job effectively gone (I have to quit or I'll go crazy), I have to start living outside work. Also the era for anyone traveling extensively with US Dollars is quickly coming to an end. The 40-50K I'll spend is a relatively very small amount in the grand scheme of things.
maybe you and OP should hook up as travelling buddies
Old Jan 18, 2008, 10:36 pm

Programs: BA Gold/Marriott Gold/HH Diamond/IC Plat Amba
Speaking from a 51 year old's perspective I give you the big^. I spent my 20's building a business and while it's paid off in the long run and I have seen a lot of the world it's not the same as when you are young and free of all the BS. I know Canada isn't somewhere that is viewed as exotic but I would highly recommend the Canadian Rockies. Beautiful mountain scenery and places to pick up seasonal work(summer or winter) and great wildlife of the animal and human kind. I envy your decision.
Old Jan 18, 2008, 11:15 pm

Programs: AA Plat; HH Gold; Marriott Silver; UCLA Fan
Head straight for Cerritos, California -- a great city only 8 miles from LGB and 25 miles from LAX.
Old Jan 18, 2008, 11:37 pm

Originally Posted by Krakajax
Rent an RV for that USA roadtrip.
Think about some extra time in Pacific Northwest,
ie Portland Oregon - Seattle Washington.

from Seattle short hop up north to Vancouver BC

Suggest Boston, New Bedford & Cape Cod to Hartford / New Haven (Yale), Connecticut on to New York then choose either to go north along northern border through the mountains, the Cascades, Columbia Gouge, to
Portland OR / Seattle W/ Vancouver BC Canada / up to Alaska/back down coast to Los Angeles, across southern border El Paso, etc to Dallas/San Antonio to New Orleans, Mobile AL, Pensacola, FL, Jacksonville to Orlando, then up coast to Charleston SC, and noth to Washington DC, Baltimore, Philadelphia and fly home from Philly or Boston.

Good luck
I'm from Seattle originally so I've done most of the Pacific Northwest already. Alaska will be included on my Pan Am drive this summer.

Actually a good friend and I are planning to drive his Nissan 350Z. Lots of fun to drive and much better cost effectiveness than an RV If we can't fit our gear we'll just take my Civic.

Going to head from Detroit up through Canada to Niagra Falls onward to NYC (free place to stay with a friend for several days) then down to DC. From there it's straight west where we want to focus the trip on outdoor activities in Yellowstone, Utah, Colorado, Oregon, and California with a stop in Vegas for a couple days before heading back east.
Old Jan 19, 2008, 12:02 am

Programs: UA, AA Gold, Delta, HHonors Diamond, Marriott, Starwood
Thumbs up

To the OP, Congratulations. I'm the same age as you and I did a 14 month RTW trip about 2 years ago. I used my miles for a OneWorld award (a really good value on the miles, btw). That didn't get me all the way but most of the way. A good site for RTW tickets is airtreks.com.

Some other good sites for planning a RTW trip are BootsnAll and the Thorntree Forum on Lonely Planet.
Old Jan 19, 2008, 12:28 am

Programs: AA Gold .25 MM :) & Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by srk123
Head straight for Cerritos, California -- a great city only 8 miles from LGB and 25 miles from LAX.
I thought about replying with a similar comment. Thanks for laugh! (I hope you were kidding. If not, apologies).

OP- I don't know if you fly AA but there was an article in one of AA's magazines a few months ago about "voluntourism." It was an interesting read about how to weave volunteer work into a vacation of any length. The article also recommended a few bonafide organizations that you could organize a trip with. Any AA travelers on here who have that article?

A very good friend of mine departed in November 2007 on a year-long trek around the world with her husband. They've spent most of the last few months in South America, and they love it. The exchange rate for you in South America is insane! But, I guess with GBP, the exchange rate will be great everywhere!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.