Wiki Posts
Search

Need an "over the shoulder" day pack recommendation

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2008, 11:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K*MM, AA PP
Need an "over the shoulder" day pack recommendation

I usually use a backpack (smallish) for my laptop, magazine, a few electronic knick-knacks and occassionally an extra shirt/sox/underwear on a day trip, but due to having hurt my left shoulder, I can't wear the backpack with both straps.

As long as I'm only wearing it over my right shoulder only, it seems silly (and ergonomically bad) to have a backpack so I've been looking for a "monopack".

I want one that naturally falls in the middle of the back when the single (hopefully padded) strap is across the chest, and it needs to be large enough to fit a 13 inch laptop.

Bike messenger bags tend to be too flimsy, and many of the nice "ergonomic sling bags" are more "purse" sized.

Can anyone recommend something that would work? Since this is also the bag I take with me when I have a wheeled carry-on I don't want to go to wheeled laptop bag, it's gotta be something I sling over the (good) shoulder.
Old Jan 11, 2008, 11:14 am

This bag might work for you. Large enough, hip belt, seems to have lots of features. No experience with it, though.
Old Jan 11, 2008, 11:49 am

Programs: Airline/TSA Avoidance Platinum, Hotel Disloyalty Silver, Hertz 1.7*
You may have more choices with messenger-type bags. I don't think they need be flimsy. Many are made in a way to protect a laptop these days. Some examples: http://www.timbuk2.com/tb2/products/laptop/ The "Hacker" model has backpack straps as well so once your shoulder is better you could use it as a backpack.

I carry my laptop to work everyday in a messenger style bag slung over one shoulder and bag pushed around back. I put my right arm and head through and thus rest the strap on my left shoulder, but that's just my general habit/preference. It's easy enough to do the other way around. The bag I have is an earlier version of this which protects the laptop quite well: http://www.brenthaven.com/catalog-fusion-iii-mb.html

All that said, these guys make great stuff and maybe you'll find this one-shoulder bag to be ideal, as long as you don't have a huge laptop: http://www.tombihn.com/page/001/PROD/300/TB0151 Looks like an excellent design. (Hm, looks like something I wouldn't mind trying.)
Old Jan 11, 2008, 2:32 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat, WN A-list, AS MVP 75K, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by CrazyOne
You may have more choices with messenger-type bags. I don't think they need be flimsy. Many are made in a way to protect a laptop these days. Some examples: http://www.timbuk2.com/tb2/products/laptop/ The "Hacker" model has backpack straps as well so once your shoulder is better you could use it as a backpack.
I've been happy so far with this one:

http://www.timbuk2.com/tb2/products/...ptop-messenger

It has a lined/padded laptop pouch and is very sturdy.
Old Jan 11, 2008, 6:51 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by deubster
This bag might work for you. Large enough, hip belt, seems to have lots of features. No experience with it, though.
Thanks for the recommendation (and the laugh!!! check out the photo of the back of the backpack! It should have a disclaimer "Not recommended for air travel").
Old Jan 11, 2008, 6:56 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the recommendations, everyone! I like the Tom Bihn bag, but I wonder if it'll be big enough, also the pretty colors are on back order

Now that I know what terms to google for (laptop sling bag) I'm finding some more options from Eddie Bauer, EVERKI, etc.

I'll have to try a few, I guess...

Still can't stop laughing about the Glock in the Maxpedition bag photo...
Old Jan 11, 2008, 9:49 pm

Programs: AC*S, AS, CX, Marriott Platinum, Nexus, Specialized AWOL Touring Bicycle
Take a look at Arc'teryx (arcteryx.com). Cool and functional designs, and the quality is next to none.

Last edited by jplus; Jan 12, 2008 at 10:55 am
Old Jan 12, 2008, 9:43 am

Have you thought about getting just a regular backpack that has the strap that cinches around your waist? Depending on how sensitive your shoulder is, that might relieve just enough pressure to be comfortable.
Old Jan 12, 2008, 10:39 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SixAlpha
Have you thought about getting just a regular backpack that has the strap that cinches around your waist? Depending on how sensitive your shoulder is, that might relieve just enough pressure to be comfortable.
That's what I've done all of '07 (injury occurred in '06) and when the pack is lightly loaded (on day trips, or longer trips when my roller bag comes with) that does the trick, except I tend to find that I'm standing asymmetrically (which can hurt more in the long run!) probably overprotecting the bad shoulder. Occassionally I use this pack for two or three day trips or I need to put more in for long trips when the roller is full.

I've decided to get a "real" solution, as I'm not sure how long the shoulder will be "sensitive" and I really don't want to risk re-injury at all, as in the last year a few times I forgot what I was doing and picked up the pack with my left hand and threw it over my left shoulder (which is how the injury initially occurred).

By the way, I bought the REI 2.0 Sling bag on clearance last night for $40 at their store as it's "good enough" while I research the higher quality bags that you guys recommended (many of which are harder to locate in stores in the area, in particular I'd have to wait till my next SEA trip for Tom Bihn visit!)

P.S. due to the fact that I think in '06 this was actually a minor reinjury of a *major* injury from back in '92 I really want to be conservative on this.
Old Jan 12, 2008, 10:49 am

Programs: Mile-High Club, Marriott Plt, SPG P-75, PC Plt, Hyatt Dia, Carlson Gold, BW Dia
I highly recommend a messenger bag from Jandd Mountaineering. This is the model I have used almost every day for the past 10 years:

http://www.jandd.com/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=FGMB

I believe their construction is much sturdier than the Timbuk2 products. I have a good friend who has worn out 5 Timbuk2 bags while my Jandd bag is still going strong. The stitch count is much higher at the seams, etc.

My bag has a lot of small compartments, including a great PDA-phone-sized pouch for easy access. The main compartment is cavernous and has an expansion zipper to allow for even greater capacity. I find this option useful on trips because I pack my stuff with the zipper closed, and I can unzip it to allow for new acquisitions on the return home. I made a 2 week trip to Europe with only this bag.

It has a very thick, padded shoulder strap and a concealed belt strap if you need it. It also looks like they are making a special laptop insert, which was not available when I bought mine. I carry my laptop to work every day in this bag without any special padding, but a little extra might be nice.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.