Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

time for public embarassment -- who has actually bought something from SkyMall?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2008, 1:59 am
TA
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K MM

I rarely ever look through the catalog in the seat pocket, but I did today out of sheer lack of anything else I had to do while on a short flight. And my sense of amazement at the kind of stuff being peddled in this catalog was renewed.

Come on now, let's have an outing of who among us has actually bought something from this magazine, from having too much money, boredom, lack of knowledge about where to buy something if you actually really need it, or any other reason you had at the time??

look forward to reading your replies...
Old Jan 6, 2008, 2:04 am

Programs: DL DM (and NRSA), UA NA, HH Dia, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by TA
I rarely ever look through the catalog in the seat pocket, but I did today out of sheer lack of anything else I had to do while on a short flight. And my sense of amazement at the kind of stuff being peddled in this catalog was renewed.

Come on now, let's have an outing of who among us has actually bought something from this magazine, from having too much money, boredom, lack of knowledge about where to buy something if you actually really need it, or any other reason you had at the time??

look forward to reading your replies...
Guilty

Couple of things we've needed for the house and since airline employees get a discount their prices were cheaper than any local store.
Old Jan 6, 2008, 2:16 am

Programs: AA EXP, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
I've come damn close. I actually marked a couple pages on one flight to show my wife when I got home.

While I think it's fair to say that most of it is overpriced and completely unnecessary, there have been a few items over the years that caught my eye. Just never pulled the trigger. Maybe on a longer flight with enough scotch... Nothing worse than a buzzed waste of $.
Old Jan 6, 2008, 2:35 am
TA
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K MM
my favorite -- the (maybe imaginary product) PoopFreeze:
http://jetlagged.blogs.nytimes.com/2...l-to-seat-21c/

so you don't have to admit that your pets are, well, animals, and encounter their unpleasant droppings...
Old Jan 6, 2008, 6:58 am

Programs: UA Silver, BA Silver, Hyatt Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by oneant
I've come damn close. I actually marked a couple pages on one flight to show my wife when I got home.

While I think it's fair to say that most of it is overpriced and completely unnecessary, there have been a few items over the years that caught my eye. Just never pulled the trigger. Maybe on a longer flight with enough scotch... Nothing worse than a buzzed waste of $.
agreed with the overpricing. what i usually do is earmark the interesting stuff and after deplaning, i check up on the products online...finding much better deals.

it's a great listing of neat products though
Old Jan 6, 2008, 7:21 am

Programs: AA LT Gold; BA Silver; Hilton Diamond
It was at least 10 years ago- I bought a screen-saver program that displayed a world map and the time at various places (which you could select). At the time, it was a neat toy. I sometimes leaf through SkyMall before takeoff, and occasionally encounter oddities that I can't imagine anyone buying and a lot of other suprefluous, overpriced merchandise. Haven't bought anything since. So much advertising gets stuck in our faces during a typical trip I usually avoid SkyMall on principle.
Old Jan 6, 2008, 7:52 am

I could find all kinds of non pet related uses for 'Poop Freeze".

Like "Do you want to fly tod...arrgh ggaagg"
Old Jan 6, 2008, 8:00 am

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
I bought the Hammacher-Schlemer Cat water fountain from skymall in November. It holds 1/2 gallon of water in its resevoir. Nice for short trips. Our cat drinks 10 times as much water from that fountain than her water bowl.
Old Jan 6, 2008, 8:36 am

Programs: AA, Delta, United, SPG plat, Hyatt dia
I have been very tempted-especially when there is a milage promo(there awas a 30 mile per $ recently)but they charge tax,and a big shipping/ handling fee-so I usually just buy from the merchant directly.
Old Jan 6, 2008, 8:40 am

Programs: AS MVPG 100k
Originally Posted by dearbee
agreed with the overpricing. what i usually do is earmark the interesting stuff and after deplaning, i check up on the products online...finding much better deals.
Same here. Have once or twice bought things from them for the miles when their price was as good as any alternative.
Old Jan 6, 2008, 9:14 am

My old boss used to buy Christmas gifts for all of us from SkyMall. I figured this out after he gave everyone in the department cheap watches with our organizational logo on the watchface. Every year thereafter I could find our gifts in the catalog.

Certainly overpriced, but given that he was extremely busy (hardest working person I have ever known), it was probably a very efficient way for him to shop.

This was an academic, not a corporate, organization.
Old Jan 6, 2008, 10:23 am
abk

Programs: AA LT Plat/8.1mm now with 1350 miles left in my account and proud of it.. SPG LT Titanium.
one night flying home after a long trip i bought the french waiter shaped wine rack that stands about 5'10" for the bar in our family room. imagine my wife's surprise and joy when they delivered that to the house. actually, after 6 or 7 years i still like it and i think it is still in the catalog.
Old Jan 6, 2008, 10:43 am

Location: SAN and before that...EWR....AA EXP (3MM)..HH LIFETIME DIAMOND..AVIS PREFERRED PLUS
I once bought those power strip "liberators"...you know, the plugs that have extensions so that you may use every outlet on the power strip. At the time, I thought it was a cool idea. They are now sold in many big box stores.
Old Jan 6, 2008, 2:29 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Gold, Hyatt Gold, MR Plat, SPG Plat, PC Plat
I have... some small wine accessories. Moment of weakness. Go figure.
Old Jan 6, 2008, 2:34 pm

I bought one of the large mailboxes - that can hold a few weeks of mail.

If you do order from them, be certain to tell them that you don't want them to use/sell your name for other catalogs. I started getting a lot of catalogs after my purchase from SkyMall.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.