Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

warm destination but connecting in cold weather place, coat?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

warm destination but connecting in cold weather place, coat?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2008, 4:46 pm

I use my columbia fleece to get me from the car.Then I put it in the outer zipper area of my suitcase and check it.
Old Jan 7, 2008, 7:14 pm

Programs: DL Gold, DL MM 8/22/16!
I vote for the fleece. It squishes into your carry-on in the warm country and weighs almost nothing, then pulls out looking relatively OK in the cold country. Also fairly inexpensive if it gets lost, stolen or other abused.

It is even sort of sheds water.

Romelle
Old Jan 7, 2008, 8:57 pm

Location: various cities in the USofA: NYC, BWI, IAH, ORD, CVG, NYC
Programs: Former UA 1K, National Exec. Elite
Originally Posted by spainflyer
I agree. Coming from Madrid and heading to the Northeastern US in January or February, I usually don't need more than a shell like this (and Decathlon has them for a lot less than $299) plus a wool scarf, good gloves, and a wool sweater under my blazer.

Its got to get down to about 15º F with some wind for me to need more than that.
I can beat that... I've used a light shell plus fleece, a t-shirt (polyester, of course; cotton is death), and another thin layer like this for skiing in -30C to -40C weather with wind chills around -60C.
Old Jan 7, 2008, 9:30 pm

Programs: UA Silver
I recently wore my biggest coat while flying because it wouldn't fit in my suitcase (going from SFO to PIT so I needed it both ways), and while it was kind of hot and annoying while trying to wrestle with my luggage, it was nice to have on the plane. Extra blanket!
Old Jan 7, 2008, 11:24 pm

Programs: Cruise addict and AirBNB Plat :)
Not unless I'm going to be outside for my connection. Even so, most likely not.

I remember flying FLL-CGK via DTW, I was walking to my gate and noticed couple of people staring at me for wearing shorts .. while they have their winter coats on
Old Jan 8, 2008, 6:14 am

Programs: BA Gold · A3 Gold · DL Gold · VY apologist
Last week I braved a 50-minute end-of-the-day connection in ORD, from LHR, with nothing heavier than a polo shirt. I was a bit nervous, but made it thanks to a delayed connecting flight. I just can't bring myself to carry around a heavy coat "just in case".
Old Jan 8, 2008, 8:01 am

Every winter we travel from Mpls to somewhere in the caribbean or Hawaii. We wouldn't want to be dragging our heavy winter jackets to either one of those locations, so like this year I am going to wear a sleeveless white pull on shirt, blue jeans with a belt and a silk like denim shirt. It's a perfect alternative as I can take off the shirt when we get to our warm weather destination. I also remember that planes are cold and the blankets are barely worth covering up with, so I bring along a sweater, just in case. It also comes in handy for some of the air conditioned restaurants.
Old Jan 11, 2008, 11:05 pm

Coming off an RJ in the dead of winter can be extremely cold in some locations. I've found that a hooded windbreaker takes up virtually no room in a carryon and will keep me reasonably warm for a few minutes outside. YMMV.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.