Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

warm destination but connecting in cold weather place, coat?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2008, 1:01 pm
Original Poster

when you fly from warm place to warm place, connecting in cold place, how do you dress/what do you carry to avoid being caught in the cold?
Old Jan 6, 2008, 1:05 pm

Programs: Skyteam/Delta Silver Medallion, Starwood Gold Preferred
um, most of the time, you'll spend very little, if any, time outside if you're just transiting an airport, so just a sweater for air-conditioned airports/planes should be fine.
Old Jan 6, 2008, 1:08 pm
PJK

Programs: KL/AF FB Plat, Hilton Silver, La Quinta Gold
Wherever I fly, be it warm or cold, I usually take one fleece sweater with me to wear in flight. As you're not leaving the connectiing airport, that should do I guess.
Old Jan 6, 2008, 1:42 pm

Programs: NWA Platinum, HHonors Diamond, SPG, YX, AA
Only you can answer that question for you, but for me a quick connection isn't worth carrying a coat.
Old Jan 6, 2008, 1:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
When I'm flying from the old of PIT winter to somewhere warm, I and my family leave our coats in the car. We brave the shuttle ride and walk into the terminal, and manybe the jetway, so we don't need to carry 4 coats on an entire vacation.

Just connecting, as in walking into an airport and getting on another plane, all 3 heated? I wouldn't even think about it.
Old Jan 6, 2008, 5:50 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by MKEbound
Only you can answer that question for you, but for me a quick connection isn't worth carrying a coat.
agreed ... unless there is a material risk of misconnecting and requiring an overnight stop there
Old Jan 6, 2008, 10:02 pm

Programs: United, American, Southwest, USAirways, Delta
Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
agreed ... unless there is a material risk of misconnecting and requiring an overnight stop there
Isn't there ALWAYS a material risk of misconnecting?

If the connecting city is a cold-weather city (ORD?) isn't there a chance of a snow storm blowing in, causing an overnight stay? Or even a simple mechanical causing a cancellation. Now you have to stay at one of the local hotels which require a shuttle ride. Of course, to get to the shuttle, you need to go out of Arrivals. At ORD, you could be talking about single-digit temps.

I think you better take a coat. Not the parka(!), but some kind of mid-weight jacket.

But that's just me...
Old Jan 6, 2008, 10:16 pm

Location: various cities in the USofA: NYC, BWI, IAH, ORD, CVG, NYC
Programs: Former UA 1K, National Exec. Elite
My bags usually include a non-insulating shell like this, and a fleece. Combine the two and you get a nice insulating jacket. Individually the jacket and fleece are useful in warm weather.

Excluding more formal attire, I would never buy a highly insulating jacket because it is both heavy and has limited functionality.
Old Jan 6, 2008, 10:18 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

This is my problem: I normally leave from a warm place and arrive in cold place. Connecting is a non-issue as another said, you won't leave the airport.
Often it is quite warm when I am traveling from LAX to a cold weather destination in Europe (generally, Paris or Venice). I layer-up from home, carry on a coat so that I'll be warm at my destination (also saves weight in baggage). Having said that, nothing is completely predictable. Once, on a RTW, I brought a fur coat and a rain coat for travel in February. We had great weather in Europe and never had to wear either of the coats. When I arrived in KOA on the last leg of our trip ,it was raining like crazy and unseasonably cold. Had to dig around for the rain coat. You can't predict or prepare for every situation. Make the best of every travel situation.
Old Jan 6, 2008, 10:35 pm

Depends where you connect...some places have unheated areas...long waits for buses at open door areas...cold buses..

I would have had hypothermia recently during an SVO stopover had I not had coat, hat, gloves, scarf while standing in a massive line at the open door for an hour with no place warm to go.
Old Jan 6, 2008, 10:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If you are connecting within same terminal or without needing to step outdoors going from one concourse/terminal to the other (i.e. via underground train connection in places like DEN, ORD, etc), then a sweater should be sufficient.
Old Jan 6, 2008, 10:51 pm
Suspended

When going from a cold place to a warm place, I do not take any jacket or coat if I am not checking any bags as I can manage a 60 seconds walk without a jacket walking from the car to the terminal however cold it might be.
Old Jan 7, 2008, 7:14 am

Programs: UA, AA, AS, SPG.
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8830/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

I always dress for my destination. Now that may not be the best way to travel but I do it anyways. It has backfired when I came back from SJU to land in pouring rain, 35 degree weather only to have to go outside to make my connecting turbo prop flight. It was no fun stepping in the giant puddle in flip flops but even so that's how I prefer to travel
Old Jan 7, 2008, 10:23 am

Programs: NWA, AA
I would recommend a sweatshirt and a light-medium weight jacket. The sweatshirt can be worn on the plane, and either stowed in the carry on or tied around the waist pretty easily if you dont need it.
Old Jan 7, 2008, 1:30 pm

Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, Marriott Rewards Platinum, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Diamond
[QUOTE=ralfp;9019325]My bags usually include a non-insulating shell like this, and a fleece.

I agree. Coming from Madrid and heading to the Northeastern US in January or February, I usually don't need more than a shell like this (and Decathlon has them for a lot less than $299) plus a wool scarf, good gloves, and a wool sweater under my blazer.

Its got to get down to about 15º F with some wind for me to need more than that.

That said, when I did East Lansing in February I had to dig around in the back of my closet to find a really thick winter coat and some good boots, and lug them through the Madrid sunshine to the airport. I was happy to have them in Michigan, however.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.