Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

time for public embarassment -- who has actually bought something from SkyMall?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

time for public embarassment -- who has actually bought something from SkyMall?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2008, 2:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: La Ministreuse de Surréalisme, CO Plat, MR Plat, SPG Plat
I have on a few occassions - usually after a few drinks
Old Jan 6, 2008, 2:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: aa/ua gold; mar titanium. SPG till I die.
Originally Posted by dearbee
agreed with the overpricing. what i usually do is earmark the interesting stuff and after deplaning, i check up on the products online...finding much better deals.

it's a great listing of neat products though
I do like things in there from time to time, but Skymall is VERY overpriced. Very.
Old Jan 6, 2008, 2:37 pm

Programs: UA1K, UC. AA- EXP, AC, Avis First, Marriott Plat Premier, HH-Diamond
Guilty as well.

An Orvis sweater that was at the same price as the Orvis catalog and a clothes dryer vent cleaning tool. I enjoy looking through the catalog.

Chris
Old Jan 6, 2008, 2:51 pm

Haven't ever bought anything, but am really eyeing the Llamacycle, and the Reality Cancelling Headphones

Old Jan 6, 2008, 3:47 pm

Programs: AA plt,Ltgold
I am guilty of buying couple of things, but after comparing prices and for a 15 mile/$ bonus on continental.
Old Jan 6, 2008, 3:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Speaking of skymall, nothing cracks me up more than when I see that silly inflatable pillow you can buy to rest your head on as it goes onto the tray in front of you. You know the one I'm talking about--the one with the cheesy looking guy with the Hawaiian shirt on? Has anyone ever seen one of these on board? I would laugh my $ss off if I did.
Old Jan 6, 2008, 4:02 pm

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
Guilty, but only of buying some ultra-long-life light bulbs for the lights in a ceiling fan on our son's twenty-foot-plus living room ceiling.

As a grandparent I'm often tempted by some of the toys but so far I've resisted the temptation.
Old Jan 6, 2008, 4:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I bought the Peaceful Progression Wakeup Clock and I LOVE IT!!!!
Old Jan 6, 2008, 4:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
This is quite coincidental because I was flying yesterday and one of the FAs made a SkyMall announcement 'inviting us to take it home with us'. I'd heard it before a few times but this time I really did wonder who buys that stuff...I guess the same people who buy off Billy 'Can you hear me?' Mays infomercials
Old Jan 6, 2008, 5:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA-2MM; GalacticXpress-Irridium
I've bought a couple of items after checking out there was not a significant difference in price from another retailer and can make use of a promo 15 miles per dollar spent. Otherwise, as others have said, overpriced and outrageous handling fees.
Old Jan 6, 2008, 5:29 pm

Originally Posted by enviroian
Speaking of skymall, nothing cracks me up more than when I see that silly inflatable pillow you can buy to rest your head on as it goes onto the tray in front of you. You know the one I'm talking about--the one with the cheesy looking guy with the Hawaiian shirt on? Has anyone ever seen one of these on board? I would laugh my $ss off if I did.
y'know, that's the one thing that I am curious about. Yes, the guy looks like a dork and I am sure that so would I if I were acquiring and using one -- but I do recognize that in Y, I just don't manage to sleep "on my back" (inclined seat or otherwise) and it just *might* work out to be comfy....

....of course, steering clear of Y altogether for long-hauls is clearly my preference
Old Jan 6, 2008, 5:36 pm

Location: Dirt USair, Gold Hilton, Gold Marriott, Platinum Hyatt
A couple of years ago I bought two of the caller ID things with the inch and a half LED display. They are great! I think at the time they were about $100. and after using the first one for about two days, I bought a second one.

Most of the stuff is overpriced, non essential items, but I do have to admit that those caller ID displays were worth every penny!
Old Jan 6, 2008, 9:11 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
I bought two Christmas gifts this year, one from skymall and one because I saw it in skymall.

The one from skymall was a 12 volt plug in light up giants football player window character, the brother in law is a huge giants fan, season tickets since day one in his family, it's something he can hand in the van window when he's tailgating in the parking lot.

The other one I found about in skymall but purchased direct (because when I purchased the football thing I was surprised normal shipping was weeks and weeks, but it got here in time) was a gift certificate for bed and breakfast dot com, it's a gift card to be used as cash at thousands of bed and breakfasts.
Old Jan 6, 2008, 9:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Never bought anything from Skymall myself. Though I do enjoy browsing through their magazine in the past.
Old Jan 6, 2008, 10:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fabulous on one of the US carriers..
Got some car seat covers as a gift...

Wonderful thought.. but they foobar'd almost immediately. I still think fondly back on them....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.