Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Where is customs delay in a multi-leg trip?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19, 2007, 3:53 pm
Original Poster

I haven't flown internationally for a couple years, and things seem to be changing.

My son is flying from Cleveland to Newark to Athens. I thought he would go to Cleveland 2 hours early because it was an international flight, and then the rest of his connections would be relatively short.

But there was a schedule change which left only 30 minutes to connect in Newark. When I called the online travel company (Vayama) to say that was too short and too risky to miss the once a day flight to Athens, they told me that he really should spend several hours in Newark because he would have to go through customs.

Is that right? I only remember customs at the beginning and end.
Old Dec 19, 2007, 3:57 pm

Location: Catania, Sicily/South Jersey (PHL)/Houston, Texas/Red Stick/airborne in-between
Programs: United Global Svs, AA PlatPro, WN RR, AZ/ITA Freccia, Hilton Diam, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz Prez, IHG
You do not go through US customs leaving the US. Only coming back at your first point of entry (in the majority of cases). 3 hours is not needed out bound at EWR.

30 minutes at EWR is tight though, even for a normal connection.
Ciao,
FH
Old Dec 19, 2007, 8:42 pm

30 min would have to be the bare minimum allowable? I'd feel pretty uncomfortable about it though.
Old Dec 20, 2007, 6:16 am

Programs: United MilePlus
connection

I'd see if you can go on an earlier flight from CLE. If there is any kind of a delay getting out of there that 30 minutes can evaporate.
Old Dec 21, 2007, 7:51 pm

Customs no, Passport Control yes

You don't necessarily need to go through US Customs, but you would need to clear US Immigration / Passport Control when exiting the country. It is also possible to be randomly stopped by US Customs when exiting the country although this is rare (however it did happen to me in Boston once right after 9/11).

I'm assuming that this is on Continental and considering that they have plenty of flights from Cleveland-Newark you should definitely change this so that there's a longer connection. Also keep in mind that weather or mechanical delays could pose a problem with such a short connection in Newark.
Old Dec 21, 2007, 9:36 pm

Originally Posted by Joey JoJo Jr. Shabadoo
You don't necessarily need to go through US Customs, but you would need to clear US Immigration / Passport Control when exiting the country.
Joey, welcome to flyertalk!!

I think the passport control you are refering to is when the GA rechecks your boarding pass/passport during the boarding process. It does not really delay the normal boarding process. It is done by airline employees and not US Immigration. You will be asked to show your passport when you check in at the first airport(airline employee also). I think the USA is one of the few countries that does not have a exit immigration process to see if foriegners over stay their visa.

If you are visiting the USA with a Form I-94 you still need to return it to the airline employee when you leave the country. http://www.dhs.gov/xtrvlsec/programs...rial_0525.shtm

As far as random exit customs checks, I have seen this happen only twice in my 70 or so foriegn trips. They will likely be standing on the jetway just before boarding the plan. Standard question that I was asked "How much money are you traveling with?"
Old Dec 21, 2007, 9:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Canada as well

You also do not go through Canadian passport control stations (as they are not set up) when departing for an international destination (including U.S.) from a Canadian airport. Although I also have heard random checks near departure gates by customs officials as well though I myself have not experienced it yet.
Old Dec 21, 2007, 10:12 pm

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
If there was a schedule change, call Continental and tell them to put you(your son) on an earlier flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.