Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Interesting maneuver by person seated next to me

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5, 2007, 2:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K in training
Originally Posted by Doctor Who
I think that in most instances these must be very inexperienced flyers.
I don't doubt this, but I don't think it's an excuse, either. Putting your belongings in someone else's seating space (including the area for their feet) is like sticking your legs in front of someone else at a movie theater. It's common courtesy; you just don't do it. You use the space for your seat and respect the space of others.

You don't have to know anything air travel to understand this concept. Most of the offenders described in this thread are just downright rude.
Old Oct 5, 2007, 2:29 pm

People. Ya gotta love 'em.
Old Oct 5, 2007, 2:33 pm

Programs: ROP, BBC1, BBC2
I have never had these problems. I must be travelling on the wrong flights.

But should this ever happen to me I would just call a FA and then grab the bag and hand it over to the FA saying, "Excuse me, but this bag is a bit too heavy for the overhead bins. Would you mind putting it in the hold?"

TomUK
Old Oct 5, 2007, 3:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

On the rare occasion that i have experienced this idiocy I just either move the bag myself even before asking, or just tell the person to move it. If there is no one to be found, I just give it to the FA. Slightly different, but once in a packed business class section, i noticed that some guy threw FOUR large carry-ons into the overhead bins and then went maybe 20 rows back into Y. Several other biz passengers then had no space when they got on. I just calmly grabbed two of the offending bags and explained the situation, the Fa then wryly asked me 'sir, would you like to gate check these bags??" To which I of course I agreed and that was the end of it....
Old Oct 5, 2007, 3:41 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Timfid
People. Ya gotta love 'em.
No, you don't.

Originally Posted by TomUK
I must be travelling on the wrong flights.
Or the right ones.
Old Oct 5, 2007, 4:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WorldPerks Demoted again to SE, DL 3.1MM Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by TN_traveler
I appreciate you folks backing me up. I thought it was rude, but being fairly new to frequent flying, I wanted validation,
Mike
He was rude....He was being a jerk!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And, I hope that he reads this
Old Oct 5, 2007, 5:08 pm

Originally Posted by ucsf_med
Would it be rude if a seat were occupied by a child who's feet didn't reach the ground and the passenger next to the child (unrelated) placed their bag under the seat in front of the child?
I've seen a passenger put his bag under the seat in front of my son, who was 16 years old with size 13 shoes.

I've also seen passengers sit next to my son and say "let's raise this armrest, I've got sunburn and it's more comfortable for me" immediately upon sitting down, and then encroaching on his seat the entire flight.

On a recent flight, my son was assigned to the window seat. As we walked towards our seats, I could see a couple sitting in the AB seats in his row. I whispered to my son that the couple was going to try and keep his seat (he covets the window seat). Sure enough, the couple at first pretended not to know that they were in the wrong seat; then told my son 'well you can just sit here", pointing to the empty aisle seat. He's now 17 and told them "no thanks, I want the window". They moved, complained the entire flight, and to make matters worse, when the FA came to offer snack and my son was asleep, the woman ordered a snack for my son as if was traveling with her, and she ate it!

You'd be amazed what garbage people try to pull on kids when we travel. As much as FT has it's share of 'bad child flying' stories, I see lots of instances where adults are amazingly rude towards kids.

(ps- I love the idea of rifling through this persons bag.)
Old Oct 5, 2007, 6:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Originally Posted by davidcalgary29
This was a charter, and I was afraid that I would've been kicked off the flight if I tried to investigate the incident at further length. I definitely would have done this if I had been flying alone, though.
Gotcha. Kicked off the flight aside, you probably wouldn't get the usual bonus miles in compensation for the complaint after the flight, so there's little point.
Old Oct 5, 2007, 7:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: NW Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Emerald Executive
I'm glad everyone feels the same way I did about my original post. My only fear was that the offender would be one of the prolific members of this forum & I would have offended someone with one of my very first posts.

You folks have given me some great ideas, though

MIke
Old Oct 5, 2007, 10:24 pm

Programs: AC, BW, National
Honey!

Every once in a while, once I am nicely settled into my up-front aisle seat, some tall man will come along and say "honey would ya move into the middle seat, so I can sit on the aisle and stretch my legs?". Don't think so .
Good for you. How patronizing.

SC
Old Oct 6, 2007, 11:57 am

Programs: Seashore Trolley Museum "flight attendant"
Originally Posted by MarkXS
Week ago on United Express/Mesa from IAD-RDU, I saw a woman who couldn't fit her second bag under the Economy (plus) seat in front of her. Of all the outrageous things, the FA helped her put it under 1A in First, in the space that would be used by the 2A First passenger. 5 minutes later, 2A boards and he has nowhere to put his briefcase (no overheads on the A side in First and the other side already filled.) FA ends up putting his bag way back, inconveniencing him. ?
To avoid having the FA express a conflicting opinion on where things should go, 2A himself should have removed the bag that was not his, put his own in the place, and put the offending bag in some other somewhat innocuous location such as on or under a seat further back.
Originally Posted by flyerwife
I've seen a passenger put his bag under the seat in front of my son, who was 16 years old with size 13 shoes.
See above.

I've also seen passengers sit next to my son and say "let's raise this armrest, I've got sunburn and it's more comfortable for me" immediately upon sitting down, and then encroaching on his seat the entire flight..
Teach him how to say no with his mouth and also with his arm, or be mother hen to him and say no in his behalf.

On a recent flight, my son was assigned to the window seat. As we walked towards our seats, I could see a couple sitting in the AB seats in his row. I whispered to my son that the couple was going to try and keep his seat (he covets the window seat). Sure enough, the couple at first pretended not to know that they were in the wrong seat; then told my son 'well you can just sit here", pointing to the empty aisle seat. He's now 17 and told them "no thanks, I want the window". They moved, complained the entire flight, and to make matters worse, when the FA came to offer snack and my son was asleep, the woman ordered a snack for my son as if was traveling with her, and she ate it!.
How can she order something without paying for it herself? When your son woke up the airline could deny him a free snack by saying initially he missed mealtime but may not deny him the snack because it "already served him".

You'd be amazed what garbage people try to pull on kids when we travel. As much as FT has it's share of 'bad child flying' stories, I see lots of instances where adults are amazingly rude towards kids
Score one for Southwest which is letting families board ahead of some of the others who would otherwise have boarded first for example having checked in sooner.

Last edited by AllanJ; Oct 6, 2007 at 12:17 pm
Old Oct 6, 2007, 8:57 pm

Originally Posted by AllanJ
Teach him how to say no with his mouth and also with his arm, or be mother hen to him and say no in his behalf......

How can she order something without paying for it herself? When your son woke up the airline could deny him a free snack by saying initially he missed mealtime but may not deny him the snack because it "already served him".
Thanks for the parenting tips. He's been speaking since he was less than two, so no issues there. And the snack she ordered was simply from the snack basket, so there was no money exchanged.

I think you missed my point.

Old Oct 6, 2007, 9:11 pm

Programs: UA 1K in training
Originally Posted by hfly
Slightly different, but once in a packed business class section, i noticed that some guy threw FOUR large carry-ons into the overhead bins and then went maybe 20 rows back into Y. Several other biz passengers then had no space when they got on. I just calmly grabbed two of the offending bags and explained the situation, the Fa then wryly asked me 'sir, would you like to gate check these bags??" To which I of course I agreed and that was the end of it....
^ to you, ^^ to the FA.
Old Oct 6, 2007, 10:18 pm

Originally Posted by davidcalgary29
I wasn't upset at the owner, but I still can't believe that the FA tried to pull that move on me.
I would have also filed a complaint against this FA.
Old Oct 6, 2007, 10:26 pm

Programs: UA 1P, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plt
Holy cow....I simply can't remember the last time anyone actually used the space under their seat for any kind of carry on baggage. Usually its a free for all for the overhead space!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.