Reload this Page >

Moving Furniture to plug in my laptop

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Moving Furniture to plug in my laptop

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27, 2007, 5:06 pm

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
Originally Posted by MisterNice
I carry a wireless router ($20), a 9 ft 3 outlet extension cord ($0.99) and rarely have to move furniture or crawl under the desk anymore. Even better I can use the laptop in the comfy bed.......nice. The total weight is only about 8 oz. The extension cord also comes in handy in airports or airline club lounges with limited outlets and I often share a single outlet with others who plugged in first.

MisterNice
I do also, and i still must move furniture in many hamptons to plug in. Drives me crazy!!
Old Sep 27, 2007, 5:57 pm

Programs: AA - Executive Platinum HHonors - Diamond
Oh *I* get it - you folks deal with the "online while watching TV" by watching TV from the bed.

I've always dragged furniture around to watch TV from the desk...
Old Sep 28, 2007, 11:07 am
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
Power strips are not expensive, but illegal in many states for use in hotels, etc.

What I don't get is why more places don't have the outlets either where you can reach them, put in quad instead of duplex, or at least have the outlets in the desk lamps, etc.

It's like being in laptop heaven when you get a desk with everything you need like power, network, etc on top of the desk.

It's not just for computers either, some rooms it's completly impossible to find a useable outlet for the iron without unplugging the lamp.
Old Sep 28, 2007, 11:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most
Originally Posted by bboy1977
The worst is when I want to use the laptop while laying in bed. I have to move the mattress and box spring in order to find the one outlet located under the headboard.
That's it! I quite often use the laptop on bed as well and trying to find and outlet is often entertaining!
Old Sep 28, 2007, 11:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BamaVol
Most of the Hilton properties I stay at have an outlet in the desk lamp for plugging in my laptop. Very convenient!

Either on the lamp or the front of the desk there is a two-outlet powerstrip at most Hampton's.
Old Sep 28, 2007, 12:16 pm

Programs: AA - Executive Platinum HHonors - Diamond
Originally Posted by cordelli
Power strips are not expensive, but illegal in many states for use in hotels, etc.
I'm not sure, but I suspect those laws apply to the hotel owner, not the guest.
Old Sep 28, 2007, 1:35 pm
In Memoriam

True, but it's why they don't have power strips there, they can't install them (in some areas extension cords are not allowed either, but those areas usually mandate more outlets per room so it's not usually an issue). Guests can use them, but they usually don't leave them behind.
Old Sep 28, 2007, 1:49 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Outlets etc are one advantage Marriott has over Hilton. They're usually located on the side of the desk or on the wall in front of the desk at desk level. No moving furniture around.

Having said that, I hate it if desk at any chain is far away from bed so that I can't do the surf the net while in bed thing. I don't travel w/ a router, but that wouldn't surprise the FTers who know how tech-savvy I'm not.

Cheers.
Old Sep 28, 2007, 2:56 pm
In Memoriam

I travel with a very long network cable just for that reason. Though lately the wired connection has been something like shared dial up.
Old Sep 28, 2007, 3:50 pm
Moderator: Mileage Run, United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 3MM; Hyatt Glob*****; Hilton Diamond
It has always made me wonder where the maid plugs in the vacuum cleaner.
Old Sep 28, 2007, 5:50 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Platinum
Is the "no power strip" thing state by state? I wonder because the MCI (Kansas City Airport) Hilton had either one or two power strips in every room I have had there...one behind the TV cabinet and another under the bed. I love that I don't have to move the bed to plug the laptop in there.

I bought a 4-plug adapter for those hotels where the outlet may be convenient but is already full with the alarm clock and lamp plugs. Most of the courtyards I have stayed in recently have the plug up on the bed-side light switch.
Old Sep 28, 2007, 7:28 pm
In Memoriam

Local codes usually, so it would be town by town and city by city if those codes are stricter then state.

It's one reason most convention halls don't allow exhibitors to bring in any $10 cord 100 feet long from the dollar store, etc.
Old Sep 29, 2007, 10:40 pm

Programs: OW Emerald - HH Diamond
I'm with you! Seems to be mainly at HGIs. Not that big of deal, but still. It's nice to see more and more rooms with the flat screens on swivels, sans the clunky armoire.

Originally Posted by Philoj
Oh *I* get it - you folks deal with the "online while watching TV" by watching TV from the bed.

Old Sep 30, 2007, 12:09 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K(0.7MM) Hilton Gold/La Quinta Gold
Originally Posted by Philoj

Me too! Bed is for sleeping, desk is for working.

I once moved the desk, to find it put back in place the following day after cleaning.
Old Sep 30, 2007, 2:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If you look carefully many of the hotel desk lamps have 2-3 receptacles near the lamp base.

MisterNice

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.