Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Red Oxx Air Boss...attempt to circumvent BA's strict carryon rules!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Red Oxx Air Boss...attempt to circumvent BA's strict carryon rules!

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4, 2007, 6:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by aktchi
BTW who makes the BAAmax bag? Do you have a link to product description?
I'm still looking for a BAAmax bag. I just made up the name as a play on Panamax.
Old Sep 4, 2007, 6:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Originally Posted by birdstrike
I'm still looking for a BAAmax bag. I just made up the name as a play on Panamax.
Have you checked out the BR235X? Im guessing I can compress it the .15 inches in depth that it exceeds the BAA limits. That what is bad about wheeled bags. Im not sure parking a car on a B&R wheeled bag will compress it Im a bit torn between that and the RedOxx Air Boss. I will probably end up with both
Old Sep 4, 2007, 6:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GadgetFreak
Have you checked out the BR235X? Im a bit torn between that and the RedOxx Air Boss. I will probably end up with both
I did, thank you. The Air Boss looks really cool, too small, but really cool. It I didn't have an original Eagle Creek Solo Journey I might well buy the Air Boss.

The BR235X is very close to BAAmax, but the wheels and handle take up a significant amount of that room. I don't know if it would serve any better than my Eagle Creek Load Warrior LT 22.
Old Sep 4, 2007, 7:55 pm

I did, thank you. The Air Boss looks really cool, too small, but really cool. It I didn't have an original Eagle Creek Solo Journey I might well buy the Air Boss.

The BR235X is very close to BAAmax, but the wheels and handle take up a significant amount of that room. I don't know if it would serve any better than my Eagle Creek Load Warrior LT 22.
The BR235X doesnt have wheels and it is expandable if the opportunity and need arise, like putting a bottle of whisky in after clearing LHR measuring devices. Im really thinking this stuff through to the important details if I say so myself
Old Sep 4, 2007, 8:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The BR235X doesnt have wheels and it is expandable if the opportunity and need arise, like putting a bottle of whisky in after clearing LHR measuring devices. Im really thinking this stuff through to the important details if I say so myself
Ah! I was looking at something different. This looks interesting. I will hie me off to a luggage store to take a look!

Thanks!
Old Sep 4, 2007, 9:34 pm

Programs: AA (Plt Pro; 1.5 MM)
Oops! I didn't pay close attention to an unfamiliar sounding name and thought it was for real, just not sold around here!

Have you checked out the BR235X? Im guessing I can compress it the .15 inches in depth that it exceeds the BAA limits...Im a bit torn between that and the RedOxx Air Boss. I will probably end up with both
I do have both and both have gone through many airports and airlines including LHR and BA. In my experience soft bags dangling from your shoulder are seldom challenged unless overpacked and showing a visible bulge in the middle.

With a wheeled bag OTOH and there is no way to "understate" its size. If you want a safe choice in that variety, I'd keep it 20", preferably 18".

The BR235X is very close to BAAmax, but the wheels and handle take up a significant amount of that room...
I see I was too late pointing out your error. BR235X is another great bag, slightly bigger, higher Danier and heavier than Air Boss.

Neither is perfect---I can certainly suggest modifications---but I did buy and do own both. What more can I say.
Old Sep 5, 2007, 1:32 am

I ditched my wheel aboard some time ago, because the weight of the wheels chews up most of the limits imposed by Qantas and Virgin Blue.
I did look seriously at the Redd-OX, but went for the Tom Binh Aeronaut http://www.tombihn.com/page/001/PROD/500/TB0906
It has been very useful, even manages to pass the Dash 8 carry on test at Canberra.

Last edited by goback; Sep 5, 2007 at 1:49 am
Old Sep 9, 2007, 10:25 pm

I don't have an Airboss but a PR5 Safari Beanos by Red Oxx. It's been used for domestic travel in NZ quite a bit but its first international trip will be next week to Europe. With only ~4.5kgs (10 pounds) inside it should meet carryon limits very easily. I can't stand checked luggage, its so much easier to buy toiletries when you're 'there' and I know that each time I fly I want to take a little bit less the next time
Old Jan 11, 2008, 8:55 pm

Programs: UA, SPG, Amtrak
I like the Patagonia MLC (stands for max legal carryon).

It's L 22˝ x W 9.5˝ x H 13˝ but totally unstructured so will easily overpack and then cram into small spaces.

It is high quality, with good ballistic nylon and quality ykk zippers, but isn't overbuilt with big heavy metal hardware. It weighs only 3 lbs (less if you take off the shoulder strap and backpack straps).

I think it looks more professional too.

They use to have a similar slightly bigger model, and I've had that one for about 8 years and it has always been allowed on any plane including in UK.

http://www.patagonia.com/web/us/prod...AR.TRAVEL_GEAR
Old Jan 12, 2008, 12:11 am

Red Oxx just came out with a new convertible called Sky Train. It is 20x9x13. Designed by the same person who designed Air Boss. Maybe worth looking into: redoxx.com/catalog/p_91019.html
Old Jan 12, 2008, 12:27 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
As LHR (and several UK airports) have now relaxed (at least on a "trial basis") back to a carry-on + a personal item, BA has been allowing customers transiting LHR to once again do as we do in the US and take our roll-a-board and separate laptop bag on board BA flights even if going beyond LHR.
Old Jan 12, 2008, 5:26 am

Red Oxx just came out with a new convertible called Sky Train. It is 20x9x13. Designed by the same person who designed Air Boss. Maybe worth looking into: redoxx.com/catalog/p_91019.html
I have a Skytrain bag and love it. If you search here for it there are some mentions of it. I also wrote a brief review on the Red Oxx site.
Old Jan 12, 2008, 12:01 pm

GadgetFreak: Do you own or have on-hand experience with Air Boss too, and if so how do the two compare? After a point, I find it difficult to work with printed numbers and photos.
Old Jan 12, 2008, 12:49 pm

GadgetFreak: Do you own or have on-hand experience with Air Boss too, and if so how do the two compare? After a point, I find it difficult to work with printed numbers and photos.
Sorry, just the Skytrain. I do know that the Airboss has three main compartments while the Skytrain has two. I put clothes in an Eagle Creek folder in one and either put my briefcase (if I can only have one bag) or miscellaneous items in the other.
Old Jan 12, 2008, 3:29 pm

I do find the three compartments in Air Boss convenient although I realize that this reduces the capacity slightly. Still, I'll put the Sky Train on my short list should I need something in future. BTW enjoyed your review at Red Oxx.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.