Packing Champagne in Checked Luggage

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Packing Champagne in Checked Luggage

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2017, 8:51 am

Pressure is the question!

Again, I think the point to original question is not about packing to avoid breakage but more around the pressurization. Cause champagne is already under pressure. I have same question because I get very expensive hanpagne shipped from Cali but it always goes ground and now I need to take my whole collection to Peru and need to know if the bottles will explode if in cargo. I know how to bubble wrap/pack them but will the pressure make them explode
Old Jul 30, 2017, 8:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
The short answer is no, it shouldn't explode.

I only have one point of reference for bubbles/champagne but I recently brought back a bottle of sparkling wine from Santorini and it traveled JTR - ATH - FCO - ATL - RDU without issue.

I used my normal approach of packing it in one of these https://www.amazon.com/Diaper-Reusab.../dp/B00308FONW and then packing that into the center of my checked bag, but as you noted you've already got a method.

For me the most important thing is making sure if you have multiple bottles of stuff (as I did on that trip), that you pack them in such a way that they don't bang into or rub against each other.
Old Jul 31, 2017, 7:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
I'm not addressing the pressure question.

When I take a bottle with me, I take a shipper (you can buy one at a local wine shop). It's styrofoam to hold the bottle. I then insert the styrofoam containing the wine into a cardboard box (get that at the wine store too).

I've never lost a bottle. If you plan on purchasing multiple bottles, I have one of these > http://shop.thewinecheck.com/ It has wheels and a handle.

dh
Old Jul 31, 2017, 7:29 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Originally Posted by dhammer53
I'm not addressing the pressure question.

When I take a bottle with me, I take a shipper (you can buy one at a local wine shop). It's styrofoam to hold the bottle. I then insert the styrofoam containing the wine into a cardboard box (get that at the wine store too).

I've never lost a bottle. If you plan on purchasing multiple bottles, I have one of these > http://shop.thewinecheck.com/ It has wheels and a handle.

dh
The link provided is just a canvas wheely that holds a shipper. The shippers come in 2/4/6/12 bottle formats. Just use the styrofoam shipper in the cardboard box form and check with baggage as normal. Some airlines may want to open to inspect. I'm an Importer and use them all the time to bring home samples. No issues with Champagne or any Sparkling wine as well. Good luck..
Old Jul 31, 2017, 7:34 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Originally Posted by Stacy Lulf
Again, I think the point to original question is not about packing to avoid breakage but more around the pressurization. Cause champagne is already under pressure. I have same question because I get very expensive hanpagne shipped from Cali but it always goes ground and now I need to take my whole collection to Peru and need to know if the bottles will explode if in cargo. I know how to bubble wrap/pack them but will the pressure make them explode
Welcome to FT. I live in California and Cali is in Columbia Per my reply regarding the shippers here are ones specific to Champagne. The have many formats and typically will be found in 2/4/6/12 bottle formats for Wine. This link shows many:

https://www.uline.com/BL_5450/Wine-Shippers

Safe Travels and Happy Drinking
Old Jul 31, 2017, 8:00 pm
mjm
Original Member

Originally Posted by Flying Machine
Welcome to FT. I live in California and Cali is in Columbia Per my reply regarding the shippers here are ones specific to Champagne. The have many formats and typically will be found in 2/4/6/12 bottle formats for Wine. This link shows many:

https://www.uline.com/BL_5450/Wine-Shippers

Safe Travels and Happy Drinking
Yes! Thank you for saying that. As a California native that terminology drives me bonkers.

The other thing is that Champagne is not made in California. We do have sparkling wine though. Big, big difference.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.