Community
Wiki Posts
Search

advice on getting a new British Passport in the USA

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17, 2007, 11:13 am
Original Poster

advice on getting a new British Passport in the USA

Can anyone who has gone through a similar situation shed some light on this issue?

My British passport is almost full and also expires in about a year. I have a number of trips coming up in the Winter and wanted to get more pages - or perhaps even easier - a new passport with fresh pages in it.

Can anyone advise on what I need to do in order to get this sorted out?

Do I need to go to an office in either the UK or Washington? or can I do this by post? Will they send me my old passport back? - the reason I ask about this is because I have a US visa in it. Will my US visa still be valid in the old passport? or will I need to apply for a new visa also?

The passport agency state the following (http://www.passport.gov.uk/passport_renewing_when.asp): "we can add no more than nine months unexpired time from the old passport to the new one." What does this mean? will they only give me 9 more months if I apply now? or am I misinterpreting this?

Thanks very much for any help here.
Old Aug 17, 2007, 11:21 am

Programs: BA
You can apply to any UK Consulate in the USA (note that in a large country like the USA there may be a number of Consulates but there will only ever be one Embassy and that is always in the capital). They will tell you what their procedure is to renew your passport. This is one of their principal tasks. The passport agency in the UK are not the people to be speaking to.

Yes your old passport will be returned. It is quite common to travel with two passports, the new one valid, the old one with visas still unexpired. the only issue may be if your visa validity is "indefinite", for as I understand it the US has cancelled all the indefinite visas.
Old Aug 17, 2007, 12:40 pm

Programs: HH Gold, Alaska MVP Gold
First call the nearest British Consulate to your location, talk to someone in the passport section, I'd imagine you'll have to make an appointment, travel to the office, fill out the forms, and then wait 6-8 weeks to get your new passport. As for the U.S. visa, ask the Consulate about that.
Old Aug 17, 2007, 1:30 pm

Programs: AA Plat
Originally Posted by travelwave
Can anyone who has gone through a similar situation shed some light on this issue?

My British passport is almost full and also expires in about a year. I have a number of trips coming up in the Winter and wanted to get more pages - or perhaps even easier - a new passport with fresh pages in it.

Can anyone advise on what I need to do in order to get this sorted out?

Do I need to go to an office in either the UK or Washington? or can I do this by post? Will they send me my old passport back? - the reason I ask about this is because I have a US visa in it. Will my US visa still be valid in the old passport? or will I need to apply for a new visa also?

The passport agency state the following (http://www.passport.gov.uk/passport_renewing_when.asp): "we can add no more than nine months unexpired time from the old passport to the new one." What does this mean? will they only give me 9 more months if I apply now? or am I misinterpreting this?

Thanks very much for any help here.
I did mine by post prior to biometrics. I am sure you are misunderstanding the 9 months thing I would guess you will get 10 years plus 9 months max
Old Aug 17, 2007, 1:43 pm

Programs: AA EXPLT, UA 1K, HY GLOBALIST
You'll find good information here....

http://www.britainusa.com/sections/a...=41001&a=25297

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.