Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LAX-GRU in J

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22, 2007, 9:26 am
Original Poster

LAX-GRU in J

Need to travel LAX-GRU in paid business class next month. Never been to Brazil and there are no nonstop flights. I usually stick with *Alliance.

My options appear to be LAX-ORD/IAD-GRU on UA or LAX-LIM-GRU on LAN Peru. I am leaning towards the LAN option because:

1. The LAN flights are direct with only a stopover in Lima, thus no chance of a misconnect
2. LAX-LIM-GRU on LAN is the shortest route
3. LAN option will mean all flight hours in international business class vs. two United transcon flights in domestic F
4. LAN appears to have mostly converted their 763 fleet to new business class seats and a good chance at old F seats if a non-converted plane

Does anyone know what the midnight stopover in Lima is like? Must we deplane? Passport checks?

I suppose AA/CO/DL are also options, but they appear not to offer any advantages over UA to make it worthwhile to forgo the *Alliance miles.

Thoughts?
Old Jul 23, 2007, 2:15 pm
Original Poster

A potential downside to the LAN route via Lima is that anyone who has visited Peru is required to carry proof of a Yellow Fever vaccination. Seeking clarification if this applies to direct flights with a simple technical stop in Peru.
Old Jul 30, 2007, 3:53 pm
Original Poster

I thought I'd post back with comments on my recent LAX-GRU flights on LAN.

1. The "direct" flight marketing is total bs. You deplane in Lima to a bus, go through a long-a$$ secruity line, and then board a different plane to GRU. Thus, a misconnect is entirely possible. This all happens at 12 midnight. Not fun at all.

2. LAN flight boarded via a remote gate from Bradley.

3. LAN gives business passengers an invite to the Bradley first class lounge, not the remote business class lounger.

4. LAN-LIM was a new business class flight. Seat is fully flat and horizontal. Very nice. Only complaint is the same of all airlines putting 2-2-2 configs on 767s -- seat width is tight.

5. LIM-GRU was older business class style seats, but still offered excellent recline. I'd say the pitch was 65". I was in row 1 so I thought I'd be set with either a new business class seat or an old first class seat. But, row 1 was 2-2-2-2.

6. Excellent wine and wine list. Food was food but no menu. I had a peek at the three mains - pasta, tilapia, beef. All looked good. Near F in quality. All crews were brilliant.

7. All considered, LAN is a good choice LAX-GRU. I think the business class seating the whole way is the decisive factor.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.