Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Spring Break Travel

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2007, 6:44 pm
Original Poster

Spring Break Travel

When is the best time to book airline tickets for Spring Break? I need 2 tickets from Kansas City, to Tallahassee Florida. Leaving on March 15, and returning on March 22. Normally these tickets run around $179.00. They are close to $400.00 during the month of March! I have never traveled during spring break but have heard its a nightmare!
Old Jul 16, 2007, 7:28 pm

Programs: Dirt Status w/ All
I would say it is way too early. Go to farecompare.com and check the routing to see how far out cheaper fares are published.

Southwest airlines tends to drive pricing across all carriers and they only release their schedule a few months in advance. For many routes prices will drop the day WN releases a schedule extension.
Old Jul 16, 2007, 10:00 pm
Original Poster

Thanks I will just have to be patient!
Old Jul 17, 2007, 6:28 am

Programs: AA Gold, DL FO, HH Diamond
I admire your forethought/advance planning. (Seriously.)

Yes, spring break travel is a nightmare...for those of us who travel regularly! We hate spring break travelers. (Also seriously.)
Old Jul 17, 2007, 7:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

$179 sounds very low for this market (two relatively small airports). On which carrier do you typically find this fare?
Old Jul 17, 2007, 7:42 am

Programs: Dirt Status w/ All
NW and DL show fares of $199 all in through next May, but no availability yet on the dates the OP mentioned. NW does have it bookable at $199 in September. The $20 increase is probably fuel, higher load factors, etc that probably won't go down - so I would not wait for $179 when it becomes bookable for your dates.
Old Jul 17, 2007, 8:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
Not sure if this is relevant, but Talahassee would not qualify as a Spring Break destination for most people. It would, however be the source of quite a few Spring Breakers at the right moment. Is it possible your departure date is causing the high ticket cost?
Old Jul 17, 2007, 9:00 am

Originally Posted by BamaVol
Not sure if this is relevant, but Talahassee would not qualify as a Spring Break destination for most people. It would, however be the source of quite a few Spring Breakers at the right moment. Is it possible your departure date is causing the high ticket cost?
Tallahassee is about 95 miles from Panama City, a huge spring break destination.
Old Jul 17, 2007, 9:34 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by deubster
Tallahassee is about 95 miles from Panama City, a huge spring break destination.
We are going to be about an hour from Panama City and 2 hours from Tallahassee. I have found the best deals on Northwest Airlines. Currently I can get a flight for around $218.00. This is a huge drop in price from yesterday. However I did receive this rate from the website lowestfare.com that Tev9999 recomended. (THANKS) The downfall is they include a third lag from Tallahassee to Memphis to Minneapolis to Kansas City! The price seems to be dropping but I really hate adding another city onto the trip! I am going to wait and see what opens up.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.