Wiki Posts
Search

Study Abroad in Ireland next spring

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2007, 9:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Study Abroad in Ireland next spring

I'm trying to figure out the best type of ticket I should purchase or redeem to get my daughter to Dublin for her spring semester.

I have enough mileage in either AA or Mileage Plus.

I'm curious about ticketing that will allow the most flexibility for the least cost. I hope she will have the option/inclination to venture further abroad after her study is done, possibly flying home from that location.

So, the return date from the unknown location would, best case, be able to be determined at a future date. Do such tickets exist? Do either of my airline program offer them?

Many thanks for the free advice. Can you tell I never got to have this experience am living vicariously through her?
Old Jul 17, 2007, 10:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton Gold, BA Gold
please continue to follow this thread in travelbuzz!

regards

chrissxb
co-moderator
communitybuzz!
Old Jul 17, 2007, 11:13 am

Programs: Flying Blue Gold, Air Berlin Gold, Etihad Silver (bad move)
Hi

There are plenty of people here who are particularly good at spotting bargain fares so they may have more elaborate solutions for you. My suggestion is just to book a one way ticket into Dublin. Aer Lingus and AA fly direct, and Aer Lingus fares if booked early and off peak through their website can be very good value. Normally, I'd perfer a bargain cash fare rather than buring miles. They also have very cheap deals from Dublin to other European cities, so it might suit her to do her exploring and then fly home again from Dublin.

hope some of that helps

Originally Posted by mary_228
I'm trying to figure out the best type of ticket I should purchase or redeem to get my daughter to Dublin for her spring semester.

I have enough mileage in either AA or Mileage Plus.

I'm curious about ticketing that will allow the most flexibility for the least cost. I hope she will have the option/inclination to venture further abroad after her study is done, possibly flying home from that location.

So, the return date from the unknown location would, best case, be able to be determined at a future date. Do such tickets exist? Do either of my airline program offer them?

Many thanks for the free advice. Can you tell I never got to have this experience am living vicariously through her?
Old Jul 17, 2007, 11:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I would agree with Irelandflyer. From ORD, since this seems to be where you are based, oneway fares to DUB can be very reasonable, whether on AA or EI (direct flights) or via NYC on CO, DL or PHL on US (from around the $300 mark, all in). If flights to DUB do not work at a reasonable price for your dates, you can also try to see whether you have more luck routeing via SNN and then onwards to DUB.
Old Jul 17, 2007, 4:52 pm
Original Poster

I thought maybe there was a particular open return type of ticket. She'll be starting the term in the off season but returning in May, so I'm sure those one way $300 fares will be much higher.

Alternatively, perhaps frequent flyer awards, given that they allow you some changes, including stopovers, might be a savvier way to handle this. Maybe using the One World alliance gives even more flexibility? I figured you folks would know best!
Old Jul 17, 2007, 5:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mary_228
I thought maybe there was a particular open return type of ticket. She'll be starting the term in the off season but returning in May, so I'm sure those one way $300 fares will be much higher.
Not really. May is not high season and one-way fares from DUB to ORD are reasonable (say more like $350 than $300). If you want to lock-in a cheap fare at this stage, you can already buy a return ticket (with a return in May) for circa $650 to $700. Not fully flexible but with change fees typically around the $40/$50 mark.

A fully flex ticket would be much more expensive.

My guess would be that a frequent flyer award ticket is likely to be more restrictive, possibly in the conditions, but even more so in terms of availability in the right booking class as you get closer to the date.
Old Jul 18, 2007, 7:44 am
Original Poster

You are absolutely correct about the low one way fares. I just checked Expedia and she can go nonstop in Jan on Aer Lingus for $207 (incl taxes!). AA nonstop return for only $362, for a grand total of less than $600. I suspect that's for buying so early. At least the departure we'll be certain about.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.