Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Can u get sued from a frequent flyer or hotel program? Has it happened to you?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 6, 2007, 10:17 pm
Original Poster

I have been reading flyertalk for awhile and have seen several posts about losing miles or hotel points, and I was just curious about some questions with things Ive always thought about, so I was just curious if anyone has ever gotten sued or lost their miles/points do to something, and if so what was it.

The main example ive been curious about is the followng - Lets say an airline program has something to sign up for on a partner website once where you get 1,000 miles - and you sign up a lot of times with different email addresses. You get 1,000 miles posted 25 times, then take a free trip. A year later they see your account and notice. What would they do? Would they just cancel your account, or somehow make you pay for it, or sue you, or what.

Ive seen this example most often as it seems like it would work, I dunno. Has anyone ever done this and gotten caught, or something similar? Does it even work?

Has anyone ever gotten in trouble with an airline or hotel for something else?
Old May 7, 2007, 12:26 am

Programs: AA EXP/2 MM
Here's a current example:http://flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=689350

You'll find plenty more if you search a bit.
Old May 7, 2007, 7:39 am
Original Poster

i saw the selling miles one, but i havent seen anyone who has actually gotten sued or had to repay the airlines/hotel....
Old May 7, 2007, 8:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
Your head appears to be filled with naughty thoughts. You need to transfer you miles to me in atonement until you are OMNI-qualified. You'll fit in nicely once you're there.

Screw with the airlines at your peril.
Old May 7, 2007, 8:34 am

I believe that people who sign up multiple accounts and then try to combine them to claim an award get caught well before the point that they'd get sued. See this thread as an example:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=604381

Mike
Old May 7, 2007, 8:46 am

Programs: Many, slipping beneath the horizon
Let's face it....Anyone with a pen and paper, the filing fee and taxi fare to a court of appropriate jurisdiction can sue you at any moment....Even without a lawyer in many "Small Claims Courts".

There's a caveat. In time, efforts, staff costs, fees for outside attorney's and their appearances, etc., lawsuits are quite expensive for airlines or hotel chains. Therefore, "punitive action" is most likely to occur under the rules of the specific program, taking away all your points, never letting you play again, or even threatening (and this might be legally extremely tough if not impossible under public accommodation laws and operating licenses to enforce) to ban you from ever flying or staying on the airline or in the hotel chain.
Old May 7, 2007, 8:55 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
If you did it once, and the result was a free domestic ticket, they'd probably just cancel your account. What the heck did you do, anyway? The Hilton thing? I like HHonors, but wow it sounds like they are (were?) sloppy from an IT point of view.
Old May 7, 2007, 9:29 am

Technically if their terms and conditions forbid you to participate multiple times and you did so then that would be fraud and yes, they could sue you
Old May 7, 2007, 9:43 am
Original Poster

i didnt do it, I was just curious. I have in the past though signed up for mutiple survey site email addresses and never had any problems from any of them, maybe because theyre getting paid anyway, i dunno....but that got old and surveys were really just a waste of my time, but Ive been reading so many stories on flyertalk lately about selling points or miles or somehow abusing the system so ive been curious

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.