How would you design a company travel policy? [MERGED THREADS]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How would you design a company travel policy? [MERGED THREADS]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2007, 11:42 pm

Originally Posted by Spiff
1. Spend the company's money as if it were your own.
I hear this a lot, and I've always wondered, if I was using my own money, why would I use it to go to Winnipeg in February?
Originally Posted by Spiff
2. Violation of #1 will result in letting a non-traveling employee book your travel for 3 months. Further violations will result in longer periods of being booked on undesirable carriers and in undesirable hotels in the name of the bottom line.
I'm going to crawl up in a fetal position in a corner while sucking my thumb and sobbing while wetting myself at the thought of rule 2.
Originally Posted by mbstone
2. All employees shall pay for all airfare, hotels, car rentals and incidentals using personal credit cards.
I used to have to do this, but we were given a whole bunch of cash in advance to cover our expenses that we had to return after the final expense report was processed. I want to say the amount was $1750, but I'm not sure that's right. It was deducted from the final expense check.

Was an all-coach operation, any flights under $400 were all right, $400.01 to $1250 were allowed within $200 of lowest with an explanation of why we didn't take the lowest. $1250.01+ had to be the lowest. All travel required either a PO or managerial approval. We also had some insane meal limits left over from the 70's that were routinely ignored. ($5/$10/$15)

ETA: We were also prohibited from taking Northwest from Rockford to Detroit because, once you accounted for time checking in, time at baggage claim (big, heavy toolboxes mean not checking was not an option), and time getting the rental, you only saved about an hours time over driving. It didn’t matter though, as the flights were usually out of policy.

Last edited by joer; Mar 27, 2007 at 11:57 pm Reason: Premature posting. Will be ready again in 15 minutes.
Old May 28, 2007, 1:02 pm
MBX

Company Travel Policies

Hi,
New to the forum, hope I'm posting in the appropriate area.

Is there a website out there somewhere where I can find details on company travel policies? e.g. company X uses airline Y as a preferred airline and travel classes permitted by length of travel /seniority of employee.

I'm looking to challenge our company policy and would like some information on what other (blue chip) companies are doing.

Many thanks,
MBX
Old May 28, 2007, 2:02 pm

Programs: AA EXP/LT Plat, SPG Plat/LT Plat, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Plat, IHG Plat, MR Silver
Hi,

This question seems to pop up pretty frequently and you might be able to find some more info if you do a search. Specifically, I think you'll find it difficult to locate company travel policies, at least publicly and by name.

As far as mine goes, I work for a Big 4 accounting/consulting firm and know that this policy is more or less the same for the other 3. We have preferred contracts with a few of the bigger airlines (one in each alliance), but can book on essentially any airline if it meets our needs. Since we book our own travel when traveling on client needs, this means we can basically travel on any airline as long as the price is in line with the preferred carriers (which it usually is). In regards to class of travel, for Associates through Directors it is coach domestic (regardless of flight length) and one class above coach (no international first, although I'm sure it happens) for Managing Directors/Partners/Principals. The only caveat to this policy is the exemption for heavy travelers at the Manager or Director level who can travel one level above coach if they rack up over 75,000 miles a year.
Old May 28, 2007, 6:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, Delta Plat
Here's a few to get you started...

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=661081
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=590905
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=597590
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=573057
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=561157
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=298270
Old May 29, 2007, 4:04 pm
MBX

Some good info here, many thanks ^

Any more examples of policies from other users are most welcome!

Thanks.
Old May 29, 2007, 4:33 pm
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
MBX, welcome to FlyerTalk and thanks to redbeard911 and troyb for the great help to MBX. In light of our history of threads on this subject, let me merge this newest one with one of the cited relatively recent ones on travel policy design. Ocn Vw 1K, Moderator, TravelBuzz.
Old May 29, 2007, 5:46 pm

Think "maximize shareholder benefit" and you're on the right track.

-No per diem. You're already getting paid and we don't let you expense your meals at home.
-You may expense your client's meal (but not your own) if approved in advance. If you forget to pre-authorize your entertainment expenses, you will be responsible for paying for your client's expenses out of pocket.
-You must take the cheapest flight or series of flights to your destination. If a connecting flight is >5% cheaper than a nonstop but adds <50% to the travel time, you must take the cheaper flight unless it would require an extra night's stay at your destination. You will only fly on the lowest coach fare offered - business-class and first-class travel is not permitted under any circumstances.
-You must book the cheapest hotel within 20 miles of your destination, no exceptions.
-All bookings must be made on a "corporate" credit card issued in your name. You are solely responsible for paying the bill in full and on time, regardless of delay in processing your expense reports.
-You must sign up for and use any and all frequent-flyer or loyalty programs offered by airlines and hotels you use. You may not use any award benefits except for authorized company travel. You may not use earned miles for upgrades. You must use earned miles to book economy-class tickets for company travel when possible. Expense claims for paid flights booked when award travel was possible will be denied. Expense claims for paid hotel rooms booked when award nights were available will be denied.

(I'm only slightly embellishing a real travel policy at an ex-employer of mine.)
Old May 29, 2007, 8:32 pm

I can see why it's an ex-employer!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.