Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Company travel policy - is it getting better?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2006, 3:37 pm
Original Poster

Given the growing aggravations of travel -- crowded planes, delayed flights, onerous security policies, etc. -- has your company (or boss) become more generous about giving you perks in exchange for time spent traveling for work -- e.g. comp time for travel outside business hours, a bigger bonus, or allowing business class travel or nicer hotels?
Old Aug 15, 2006, 4:48 pm
Suspended

I've only seen things get worse. Gradual tightening of ALL discretion in travel. I don't expect the company to pay for business fares, but having some lattitude in choosing a flight makes a travelling life much easier.
Old Aug 16, 2006, 3:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
I'm bumping this as the OP emailed me. She's a journalist for a major publication that I've worked w/ previously (she's legit & nice). If you're interested in being interviewed for the story she's writing, you can PM her & provide your contact info & she'll contact you. Or if you email me (not PM), and I'll provide you her contact info.

She didn't post she was a journalist in her original post because she thought it might deter folk from answering, but I know FTers - they're never shy about expressing their opinions & sharing info... .

Here's the original email I received from her:

"Hi Sharon,

I interviewed you a couple years ago for an article about the and am reaching out to a few past sources because I'mtrying to connect with some frequent business travelers to discuss another topic: whether employers are doing anything to ease the burden of business
travel.

A few of the things I'm looking into are whether employers are being more
flexible about booking outside the company's written travel policy (e.g.
with flights or hotels), being more generous with comp time (either
officially or on a more ad hoc basis), or seem more willing to pay for
things like airline club memberships, gym fees, business class upgrades,
etc.

Do you know anyone who might be willing to talk about this topic? If so,
please feel free to pass along my contact info. (They can send me an email
and I'll follow up by phone.)

Thanks for your help -- hope all is well!"

Cheers.

Last edited by SkiAdcock; Aug 16, 2006 at 3:46 pm
Old Aug 16, 2006, 5:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
My company, like most, is continuing to tighten up on travel -- when it isn't simply discouraged altogether! We must purchase our tickets from an automated site that checks for compliance with company travel policy and demands that any ticket purchased cost no more than $100 more than the lowest available fare (with a few exceptions). We must use company-approved vendors (airlines, hotels, car-rental companies, etc.) for everything. Failure to follow these policies puts reimbursement at risk. It's not pretty.

But it doesn't matter, anyway. Since August 10, I have not been eager to travel and, fortunately, have not had the need to do so.

Bruce
Old Aug 16, 2006, 8:01 pm

Location: STL, MO-US and A , SWA A-List, Marriott LTTE, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Same hear, nothing has changed.

But, some managers are allowing people to expense rental cars from their hometown (even though we get a car allowance) if it is within $100 of airfare to that destination.
Old Aug 16, 2006, 8:28 pm

My company is based in London and has many world-wide offices. The previous travel policy was always for "lowest fare". Based on the recent changes they have softened it a bit to say that it's okay for an employee to choose a more expensive routing if they are "uncomfortable" with the airline or the airport of the lowest fare.

Hey, I'll take it.
Old Aug 16, 2006, 9:30 pm
Suspended

I would consider it, but I'm pretty sure I could get fired for my name or company name being used.
Old Aug 16, 2006, 9:31 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, Priority Club Blue, SPG Gold, Sofitel Gold, FB Ivory, BA Blue
Difficult to say. I don't know if company policy has changed but I've certainly changed and am now somewhat more vocal when it comes to travel arrangements and have no problem whatsoever about rejecting an itinerary I'm not happy with (i.e. takes too long to get there, too many connections, difficult to meet connection times, gets me to a short haul destination at an inappropriate time of the day etc). Has this made me a marked man in the company? To be honest, I'm not sure if anyone noticed.

Last edited by Internaut; Aug 16, 2006 at 9:37 pm
Old Aug 16, 2006, 9:51 pm

Programs: AAdv GLD(MM), QF LTS, UA MP_nada, HH Gld, SPG, GoldenCircle Jade
My company has a pretty good travel policy - Y, over 5 hrs J, over 10 hrs F. It has not changed, but in these tightening times I fear the F at least will soon go. Although I have to say the F fares we get are about the same as J fares.
Old Aug 16, 2006, 10:01 pm

The growing aggravations of travel just recently increased with the terrorist level. I don't know how many companies have formally adapted to a change that is a week old.

As frequent travellers, most of us are fairly adaptable, but still realize the importance of taking care of us. Most hold some sort of status on an airline that helps ease travel.

My perspective is that my company pays me well - a few dollars here and there to make travel easier is well spent - if it keeps me happier and more effective on the road.

The company I work for allows me to book my own travel. I do need to email my manager when a flight is over $750. Hotels are budgeted at $200 a night.

The company is definitely offering comp time, but we're in the midst of a hiring freeze. So, it's not so easy to actually ~take~ the comp time.
Old Aug 17, 2006, 4:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Nothing formal, but nowadays there is more leeway. They understand a bit how difficult travel is these days and they are being as accomodating as possible.
Old Aug 17, 2006, 5:49 am

Programs: AA LT Gold; BA Silver; Hilton Diamond
My company was sold, and the acquiring company (based in Zurich) has a policy that allows Business Class on flights with over 4 hours of net flying time (I assume that means excluding layover time in airports). I can't wait till they need for me to be in Europe! (But I'm still avoiding LHR if I can.)
Old Aug 17, 2006, 9:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United, American, Delta, Hyatt, Hilton, Hertz, Marriott
Originally Posted by NYCTrvlr
Given the growing aggravations of travel -- crowded planes, delayed flights, onerous security policies, etc. -- has your company (or boss) become more generous about giving you perks in exchange for time spent traveling for work -- e.g. comp time for travel outside business hours, a bigger bonus, or allowing business class travel or nicer hotels?
Welcome to FT!

No changes here. I tend to avoid using personal time for travel if I can avoid it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.