Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

do you ever sleep while waiting at an airport?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

do you ever sleep while waiting at an airport?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15, 2007, 2:13 pm

Programs: AF-PC; UA Plat ; QA Gold; Etihad Gold ; EK Silver; HH Diamond; Accor Plat, SPG Gold, IHG Plat; Mov G
Only in an Airport Hotel (on site) eg DXB, AMS
Old Feb 15, 2007, 2:20 pm

Programs: UA 1K, BD Silver, Amtrak Select, SPG & PCR Plat/ICH Amb, AA, AS, DL, PR
I usually get maybe 30 minutes of dozing off if I have a long layover but I'm pretty tired or there's no other alternative, yes, I would sleep in the airport.

The only times I've had to face the latter was in LAX and in Sapporo Chitose Int'l Airport in Japan (CTS). The LAX debacle was due to the fact that I missed the last shuttle back to my home and didn't have enough money for a hotel room. With all the chairs taken in the upper Mezzanine in TBIT, I had no choice but to sleep in the floor. I removed my collared shirt and used that for me to lay on and the cushioned part of my laptop back pack as a pillow. Taking into consideration the "bed" I set up, the overhead announcements, and cleaning crew doing their routine, I only got 3 hours of shut-eye. I hope to never live through this again...

Sapporo, however, was more much forgiving. Since the terminal closes late at night, they have passengers stay in the conference rooms. We had to write our name and flight in a sign-in sheet and were issued blankets with the old JAL font. There were no pillows but you can get as many blankets as you want to compensate. Once all the passengers were settled, the airport employees turned down the lights to make things easier for us to get some shut-eye. I'm not sure if this is routine since the reason I was stranded was due to a blizzard, but if it is and if I had to get stranded in an airport with no other choice but sleep in the terminal, I definitely would choose Sapporo Chitose. ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.