Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

do you ever sleep while waiting at an airport?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

do you ever sleep while waiting at an airport?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2007, 8:01 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
yes if I am tired enough - both intentional and sometimes not (eg the super early international flights)
Old Feb 14, 2007, 8:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Changi is the only airport I've slept in (SQ SKL F & Transit Hotel). But I wouldn't really consider those as sleeping to wait for a flight.
Old Feb 14, 2007, 9:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by amy45888
a couple of weeks ago i was flying redeye from lax to east coast. i went to the usairways lounge... i completely passed out. the usairways lounge person woke me up and asked me if i was on a red eye flight. i said yes, and they said..."your plane is almost done boarding!"... if the person hadn't woken me up, i definately would have slept half the night there!
Last summer I was at YVR catching the CX 747 to HKG, which is scheduled out at about 230am. The flight was delayed to a 515a or so departure, and a bunch of us hunkered down in the Cathay Pacific lounge. I nodded off up there, and when I just happened to snap awake, for no apparent reason, it was 450a and I was totally alone in the lounge! Everybody else, staff and passengers, had toddled off to the gate and nobody woke me!

I gathered up my stuff and ran the length of the deserted, shuttered airport to the CX gate at the far end of the concourse... made the boarding window by a very slim margin.

If that doesn't tell me not to go to sleep in airports, nothing will.
Old Feb 14, 2007, 10:13 pm

Programs: UA, AA, AS, SPG.
When I take a redeye from the west coast to CLT and I have over 90 minutes before my connecting flight I head to the club, usually the C club, grab a couch in the back area lay down and sleeeeeeeep. I will set my cell phone alarm to wake me up.
Old Feb 14, 2007, 10:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Yes, I have been stayed Sheraton at BDL. I have been spent nice viewing at BDL concourse. I remember when we stayed at BDL for 1 night when I am flying back to FLL when my brother was took us to BDL for 1 night. I am never been see nice view from our hotel room. Because when I was stayed in New Hampshire for weekend. It took us to BDL for 3 hours. I remember everything what we did stayed at BDL for 1 night when my brother was heading back to New Hampshire.

Does you know anybody who stayed at BDL inside Sheraton hotel? I remember when I was looking around the ticket counter before when cocnoruse is closed the last flight is incoming to BDL. That was in 1999. I remember when I was flown from FLL-ATL-BDL but, DL flight has been canceled flight from ATL-BDL when DL gave us to next reroutes to BOS. I have been stayed in ATL for 6 hours. I am stuck at ATL for hours because BDL has been closed due to snowstorm.
Old Feb 15, 2007, 7:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
I really try not to sleep while waiting for a flight, but was awakened by a kind soul at Washington National when I nearly missed my flight.
Old Feb 15, 2007, 8:59 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Gold (Current Platinum), United Mileage Plus, Avis Preferred
MIA after a cruise

On the way home from a cruise, I was in MIA, waiting for our CO flight back to EWR. It was Saturday, and the cruise ship had arrived in MIA the night before. We had a really, really, really good time on this cruise, and we did not even go to bed or sleep on the last night. While the 6 of us were waiting for our flight, a few of us had no problem stretching out & sleeping on the floor, using a carry-on as a pillow.

Last edited by JohnneeO; Feb 15, 2007 at 12:01 pm
Old Feb 15, 2007, 10:12 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JohnneeO
On the way home from a cruise, I was in MIA, waiting for our CO flight back to EWR. It was Saturday, and the cruise ship had arrived in MIA the night before. We had a really, really, really good time on this cruise, and we did not even go to bed or sleep on the last night. While the 6 of us were waiting for our flight, a few of us had no problem stretching out & sleeping on the floor, using a carry-on as as pillow.
for all of you who have stretched out on the floor, how many of you are in your 20's, how many older? how many female? ( i DO think there is a female-male differnece here. ) i am no longer in my 20's, and a female, and tho i could get down on the floor, and i certainly could fall asleep, i am not sure how "seemly" it is. (yes, i slept overnight at CDG or orly once too as a backpacker, but that is different than traveling for biz, etc) right???
Old Feb 15, 2007, 11:13 am

I guess I'm lucky I've never been caught in a blizzard mand made to live at an airport or take many redeyes, or any for that matter, I them miserable. Nor do I fly at the crack of dawn either, so I'm never really exhausted sitting around an airport thank heavens. I mean when we land in London I am, but then we just go to our hotel. We were stuck in Budapest and Copenhagen for long delays last year, but I would prefer to have a nice meal, or look in the shops or read trashy tabloid magazines.
Old Feb 15, 2007, 12:05 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Gold (Current Platinum), United Mileage Plus, Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by haniboo
for all of you who have stretched out on the floor, how many of you are in your 20's, how many older? how many female? ( i DO think there is a female-male differnece here. ) i am no longer in my 20's, and a female, and tho i could get down on the floor, and i certainly could fall asleep, i am not sure how "seemly" it is. (yes, i slept overnight at CDG or orly once too as a backpacker, but that is different than traveling for biz, etc) right???
Well, I was 33 at the time, and I was the second oldest in the group. Besides the other one who was older, everyone else was in their late 20's. The group was all males.
Old Feb 15, 2007, 12:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum, 1MM
I have a hard time falling asleep in noisy and bright environments without help, so no.
Old Feb 15, 2007, 12:48 pm

I've done it a few times. Female, early 30's, for the record and all. I also tend to think it's somewhat lacking in dignity to pass out on the floor, but most recently, like JohnneeO, I had just come back from a cruise out of MIA and said heck with it, I need a nap badly. More often than not I tend to curl up as best I can in a chair for my airport sleeping needs, though. I've seen other people do it, though. On said cruise trip, there were probably a good ten or so of us sprawled on the floor by the gate in question.
Old Feb 15, 2007, 12:57 pm

I may nod off for a minute or two sitting on a chair, but would never lay down sleep for an extended time.
Old Feb 15, 2007, 1:35 pm

Programs: NW Gold and now Delta Gold
I'm a female, and older than 30, how much older is probably not anyone's business, but I doubt that many men my age retain the flexibility to get up and down off the floor. I could be wrong, but I thought women were in general more flexible than men. Not something I gave a lot of thought to though. It's perfectly seemly if you wear clothes that won't ride up, such as jeans, yoga pants, or my beloved "Twisted Heart" brown velveteen "pajama" bottoms from Saks. Nobody is going to see anything they don't need to see. I'll save the cute sundresses for the cafes and the beach.

Anyway, there is always going to be someone there in life to tell you what women "shouldn't" do. Being completely intoxicated by sleep deprivation is a hazard too. I suppose if Ralph Fiennes tries to attack me in the airport, I will have to beat him off with an umbrella, but I honestly don't see it happening.

Oh, another thing I'll say about men. I don't think that men as a general rule suffer as much from swollen feet as women do. At least the two guys in my age group, that I frequently travel with, don't ever seem troubled by the issue. Therefore, it's all well and good for them to stay seated while they sleep. But I would like a nap with my feet elevated or at least flat.

Old Feb 15, 2007, 1:45 pm

Never. Nothing against it, I just don't think I could get comfortable enough to actually sleep in an airport.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.