Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

(Why) Are West Coast Destinations More Expensive?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2007, 6:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: NW, SPG, PC

Is it the case that flights to the West Coast are more expensive than flights to the East Coast of the US, other things held equal?

I had wondered if this was true and did a couple spot checks, one of which confirms the hunch while the other shows the difference of a penny:

On NW:

LAX to LGA 2/6
LGA to LAX 2/13
RT $424.00.

versus

LGA to LAX 2/6
LAX to LGA 2/13
RT $438.10.

A second contrast:

LGA to SEA 3/6
SEA to LGA 3/13
RT $248.10

SEA to LGA 3/6
LGA to SEA 3/13
RT $248.09.

I'd guess that systematic comparisons have been done previously (though a few searches of FT didn't turn up anything).

I'd be interested in any such comparisons, conclusions, ... since one might expect that the prices for the two-pairs identified above should be identical.
Old Jan 30, 2007, 8:42 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage
Did you check the fare bases?
Old Jan 30, 2007, 8:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: NW, SPG, PC
Originally Posted by jaginger
Did you check the fare bases?
No. But independent from the examples that I gained... it has been a general impression that I've gotten that it's more expensive to fly West. Maybe that impression is unwarranted....
Old Jan 30, 2007, 10:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: aa/ua gold; mar titanium. SPG till I die.
depending where you live out west and where you're flying to, it's a pretty good place to be based out of.. always a good deal, somewhere...
Old Jan 30, 2007, 11:43 pm

Programs: hhonors
Wink

It takes longer to fly east to west. Headwinds.

And, the airlines know you're a tourist.

Truthfully, I don't think the airlines themselves could explain how they price and sell seats in a manner even they could understand. It's all made up as they go along, based on what they think they can get you to pay...
Old Jan 31, 2007, 12:22 am

Originally Posted by wisc
No. But independent from the examples that I gained... it has been a general impression that I've gotten that it's more expensive to fly West. Maybe that impression is unwarranted....
I believe that it's completely unwarranted, given that the vast majority of fares between any given two cities (within the US, that is) will be the same, irrespective of direction.

Mike
Old Jan 31, 2007, 2:45 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Another interpretation of the question is because there are fewer people (thankfully) more spread out in the west... heck, we have not only LAX, but SEA, HNL, ANC and even ATU. So, it just costs more to fly intra and to the west, due to lower demand and higher cost I guess.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.