Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Plane arrives at the gate, everyone stands up and nothing happens for 30 minutes

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Plane arrives at the gate, everyone stands up and nothing happens for 30 minutes

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2007, 8:17 am
Suspended
Original Poster

I usually sit at the Aisle Seat which is great until the flight arrives and everyone around me stands up. Then I feel trapped and claustrophobic. On a recent flight, the plane arrived at the gate and instantly almost everyone got up and started to move towards the front of the plane. Trouble was they did not open up the plane's door (or something), because the line of people did not move, they kept standing up and making me feel claustrophobic. I was not able to move from my seat.

Anyway, we waited and waited and waited and still we were not allowed to leave the plane. I was ready to scream. People started complaining but nothing was done. Finally, after 30 minutes of hell, we finally were allowed to leave the hot, stinking plane. There was no apology or explaination.

(We were at the gate and I suspect that the people in charge of the Jetway were just lazy and were not at the gate when they were suppose to be)

Does this happen often and what is the longest you have had to wait to exit the plane after flight arrival?

Last edited by greenery; Jan 15, 2007 at 4:04 pm
Old Jan 15, 2007, 9:02 am
In Memoriam

Programs: aa exp - spg gold - Hyatt Diamond - HH Gold
One hour and 10 minutes at the old DTW international arrivals.
Old Jan 15, 2007, 9:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
I've had some long waits, but never gone more than a couple of minutes without an explanation.
Old Jan 15, 2007, 9:18 am

Programs: Skyteam/Delta Silver Medallion, Starwood Gold Preferred
was the wait AT the gate, or waiting FOR a gate? If AT the gate, then there should be an explanation...
Old Jan 15, 2007, 9:19 am
Suspended

Does the OP ever, even once, have( in his dreams) a normal flight?

More "events" if true, has happened to him more than sum total of ALL the people I know ( imaginary or otherwise)

mike
Old Jan 15, 2007, 9:22 am

Programs: AS, BA, AF, SPG and Tivo!
I agree that the OP has more than his fiar share of "bad" flights, but I have also been on a plane and not been able to disembark...my longest time I think was at CDG once...probably about 50 minutes. Everyone eventually sat back down. No biggie.
Old Jan 15, 2007, 11:03 am

Programs: WN A List Preferred and CP, AA, IHG Spire, Hertz #1 Gold 5*, Hilton Diamond, Enterprise Platinum
Originally Posted by MIKESILV
Does the OP ever, even once, have( in his dreams) a normal flight?

More "events" if true, has happened to him more than sum total of ALL the people I know ( imaginary or otherwise)

mike
Great post by the OP!
Old Jan 15, 2007, 11:08 am
Suspended

Programs: UAL Premex
45 minutes at CDG........and recently 15 minutes at ORD. 15 minutes I can live with.......45 minutes after a 12 hour flight had me going crazy.
Old Jan 15, 2007, 11:27 am

Programs: UA1K/RCC, Avis CHM, NWA Plat, SPG Plat
Great question by the OP!
Was this a RJ in Lima, Peru?
Old Jan 15, 2007, 11:44 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by greenery
Finally, after 30 minutes of hell, we finally were allowed to leave the hot, stinking plane. There was no apology or explaination.
You should demand compensation from whatever unidentified airline this is.
Old Jan 15, 2007, 11:53 am

Programs: Dirt Status w/ All
About 10 minutes in DTW on an A333 from AMS - I was in 10A. The door was frozen and could not be opened. It had been raining in AMS, but the FAs said they had never seen it happen before.
Old Jan 15, 2007, 12:04 pm

I know I've mentioned this before, but I had to wait 85 minutes after landing at Heathrow in July 2004. We had no gate. After a while, buses were brought in, and people from the front got to get off. It took a long time for the bus to go to and from the terminal, and it could only take a limited number of people at once. Many people on board lost their connections, and many had to wait longer than I did, because they were further back in the plane while I was in the middle.
Old Jan 15, 2007, 12:23 pm

Programs: Northwest Platinum
This used to happen in DTW all the time. Not 45 minutes, but maybe 15 minutes (for late night arrivals). What would happen is there would be no agent at the arriving gate to move the jetbridge that last few inches to the plane. Literally the bridge would be 5 inches away, but they wouldn't let us out.
Old Jan 15, 2007, 1:41 pm

My experiences have been similiar to yours swag---although any wait seems like forever, I have never experienced an excessive delay nor have I ever timed the event by the clock. Waiting for the assignment of a gate or for an assigned gate to clear has proven to be a more time consuming issue on a few flights over a number of years.

Originally Posted by swag
I've had some long waits, but never gone more than a couple of minutes without an explanation.
Old Jan 15, 2007, 1:51 pm

This happened to me twice on NW in the last 2 weeks. Evening flights. Explaination both times was that there was no one to move the jetway up to the door. Both times the delay was about 20 minutes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.