Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ideas to boost productivity in the air?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2007, 1:23 am
Original Poster

ideas to boost productivity in the air?

i find i have a hard time focusing while airborne. am a former fearful flyer so try to sleep, sometimes with a prescription aid. while i realize the drugs could affect my focusing on work, why is watching a movie hard?
and withougt meds, i still find i just space-out, barely focusing on movie, books, much less work. any suggestions?
Old Jan 7, 2007, 1:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Calm down, take a deep breath, and drink lots of water. I am one who also has trouble sleeping on planes even in F class. But these routines I do does help to a certain extent.
Old Jan 7, 2007, 1:12 pm

Programs: US-CP, UA, Marriott Rewards, HHonors, Avis,
Watching a movie means you have to pay attention for up to 2 hours; if you miss a bit of the action or dialogue, you're going to have a harder time staying interested. So it might be a bit much to aim for right off the bat. Try smaller steps. I used to be a fearful flyer and I had the same problem; even reading a book was a little much for me as the slightest turbulence would break my attention span and I had a hard time getting "wrapped up" in it again.

Try a crossword puzzle or sudouko or a similar distraction before you take a stab at working or movie-watching; it is easy to get really "into" these things, but they can be solved fairly quickly (I can do two moderate puzzles in a 90-minute flight), and if you lose your attention span, it doesn't take very long to get back into it. Or try shorter reading material--- not magazine articles for me as they aren't substantial enough for me to "lose myself" but I love short stories. Bring a laptop with short videos and watch as long as you have the tolerance for, or load them on your iPod. If travelling with a companion, get the travel version of Scrabble or another board game.

It's all about retraining yourself. If you set your expectations too high, you will end up more frustrated than you started but if you fly regularly and take small steps with onboard distractions, you'll get used to paying attention to something (anything!) in flight a lot more quickly than you might imagine!
Old Jan 7, 2007, 2:55 pm
Original Poster

thanks to both of you for your comments!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.