Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Can you buy a ticket and change the name of the passenger later?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Can you buy a ticket and change the name of the passenger later?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2007, 12:05 pm

Programs: UA GS, SQ PPS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Accor Gold
You should be able to do this with a fully refundable, changeable ticket. At the very least, you could just cancel the ticket, get a full refund, and buy a new one.

The only real point to this would be if you think the flight would get booked full before you knew the name for the ticket.
Old Jan 8, 2007, 1:23 pm

Originally Posted by Marathon Man
yeah I think it CAN be done as quickly as the make up laiden long-nailed open mouthed gum chewing big haired airline desk bimbo can type it up during her seemingly constant rattle at the keyboard on the highly outdated offwhite but dirty PC 386 in front of her.

BUT it's possible that the computer wont LET you do it until some special conditions are met that may involve teh government.
I can, of course, only talk about the system that I used when I was working for a UK-based airline, and things may be different your side of the pond... but no, there was nothing stopping us from changing names in airline bookings. Did it many times.
Old Jan 9, 2007, 8:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
Originally Posted by Aviatrix
I can, of course, only talk about the system that I used when I was working for a UK-based airline, and things may be different your side of the pond... but no, there was nothing stopping us from changing names in airline bookings. Did it many times.
hmmm, this makes me wonder about baby travel...

we flew overseas with our then 5 month old and NW told us she had to have a paper ticket that was conjoined to ours, and while we used 50k miles on what would have been about a $600 RT econ flight, the airline said international baby tix are not free like they are in domestic travel. They are 10% of the full fare, which ended up being about $2,500, so the baby's ticket--to not even have her own seat--was $250+tax. They sent it to us with the wrong dates on it by mistake and when I called to tell them this, they said it could be fixed upon check in but I said no and asked them to mail me a new one. I had to mail the old one in first but they compensated my postage with some miles and an E cert for anything on NWA.com or in person bookings. So everything worked out but I wonder if her ticket was actually in the category of a fully refundable ticket, etc? Like, what if something changed and baby didnt end up going on the trip? Would we lose that $250 or not?

MM
Old Jan 9, 2007, 8:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

well then i totally like your system better!!

now then, what was the fee to do so? did it HAVE to be charged? or could you use discretion to waive it? Who, if anyone was empowered to do so and who watched who for what? oh you mean they just trusted their employees? well then I REALLLLLY like your system better! cheers!^ ^ ^

And, if I ever get in this situation, should i like fly to the UK to get around this fee? (hmmm, that's almost like a mileage run in a way, if you think about it)

MM
Old Jan 9, 2007, 8:33 pm

this is how it used to be done back in the 80s... all you may ever need was a student ID with a picture on it. And back then, that could be made. Funny too, people made fake IDs to drink or to meet girls or fly to Fla for spring break to drink and meet girls. Yeah, they didnt have terrorism on their minds back when Oingo Boingo was playing hits on the radio!

ANnnnnnnnyway, as for traveling once married, I would bring like EVERYTHING. Birth Cert, DL, passport, SSN card, marraige cert, old passport... etc. better to be prepaired than not. AND have copies of these things both on you and at home in case they are needed to be expressed someplace. Sound like too much? Well, we are in the era of "paperz please!" so I would rather conform... for now.

MM
I'll probably wait until after this trip and change it for the next one so everythign can match...as I recall as well, they take the old passport when renewing or changing it, so I can't show them the old one.
Old Jan 11, 2007, 11:27 am

well then i totally like your system better!!

now then, what was the fee to do so? did it HAVE to be charged? or could you use discretion to waive it? Who, if anyone was empowered to do so and who watched who for what? oh you mean they just trusted their employees? well then I REALLLLLY like your system better! cheers!^ ^ ^

And, if I ever get in this situation, should i like fly to the UK to get around this fee? (hmmm, that's almost like a mileage run in a way, if you think about it)

MM
I was only talking about what was physically possible in the system I was using in my job, NOT about what the company rules were.

There was nothing in that particular reservations system that would have stopped any reservations agent from changing the name in a booking by using the Edit function - just like there is nothing to stop cars from exceeding the speed limit.

We were free to use the Edit function to correct typos, or to put in temporary placeholder names in cases where (for example) someone suddenly realised, half-way through making a booking, that he couldn't remember the surname of someone he was travelling with. For everything else there were rules that had to be followed.
Old Jan 11, 2007, 1:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I was only talking about what was physically possible in the system I was using in my job, NOT about what the company rules were.

There was nothing in that particular reservations system that would have stopped any reservations agent from changing the name in a booking by using the Edit function - just like there is nothing to stop cars from exceeding the speed limit.

We were free to use the Edit function to correct typos, or to put in temporary placeholder names in cases where (for example) someone suddenly realised, half-way through making a booking, that he couldn't remember the surname of someone he was travelling with. For everything else there were rules that had to be followed.
To know it is that easy and always that possible almost makes me upset at the agents who are typing in the data. I have run into situations in life when they almost seem to NOT MIND entering the data wrong because they know that now if you have to change it, they can effectively charge you! This is overzealous but I have a theory that sometimes, people in such positions only really have a few chances in their otherwise menial policy-ridden jobs to exhibit any level of power and flex some muscle. They tend to flex it when someone shows a weakness or makes a mistake. Sad but true, I think.
Old Jan 11, 2007, 7:56 pm

Originally Posted by lisagurl2
I'll probably wait until after this trip and change it for the next one so everythign can match...as I recall as well, they take the old passport when renewing or changing it, so I can't show them the old one.
You do need to provide it, but (at least in the U.S.) it will be sent back to you along with your new passport, and will have a hole punched in the cover to indicate it has been replaced with a newer model

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.