Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Break-Down in Australia - Car Rental Company wants $5,000+ - what now?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Break-Down in Australia - Car Rental Company wants $5,000+ - what now?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2007, 4:54 pm

Originally Posted by SmilingBoy
but the fine print seems to suggest it may not apply in my case.
Most credit card insurance is very specific about NOT covering specialty and luxury vehicles...
Old Jan 6, 2007, 5:28 pm
In memoriam

Originally Posted by Deimos
Surely only the card used for the rental would be relevant to this particular case right? In this case the German LH Visa.
That would be the place to start. And the OP didn't mention that he had looked through the fine print of any extra coverages he gets from the VISA card he used (and I do mean fine print - I get pages of teeny tiny print from my credit card companies telling me about all the extra coverages I get from my cards - like $10,000 if I die in a plane accident on a Saturday - warranty extensions - stuff like that). And I wouldn't expect any credit card rep to tell me about those coverages when I was discussing a disputed charge.

It is unlikely that other cards would cover anything - but you never know what's buried in that fine print. It's worth an hour to look considering how much is involved here (I once had a dental bill that I thought unlikely to be covered by my medical insurance policy - but it turned out it was - saved me a bundle). Reading insurance policies is boring - but sometimes profitable .

Also - the OP should read his auto insurance policy to see if perhaps there's any coverage there. Robyn
Old Jan 6, 2007, 5:37 pm
In memoriam

Originally Posted by biggestbopper
Of course they are trying to take him for a ride. That is the nature of car rental companies (pun intended).

Puns aside, many car rental companies have determined that the money is not in renting, but in "recovering" for damages to their vehicles that may or may not have actually been incurred. Many renters will not fight such claims and so the companies make money.

Anybody know what the chargeback law is in Germany?
You can't assume that German law applies. It depends on what the credit card contract says with regard to what law applies - and whether Belgium - where the OP seems to be located - will honor that contract. Robyn

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.