Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

How many times have you built a round trip from two one-way flights?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20, 2006, 11:33 am
tjl
Original Poster

Programs: AS,WN,UA,B6,hotels

Did it once before: UA had the only outbound flight that made sense schedule-wise. UA and DL had return flights that made sense schedule-wise, but booking one way UA outbound and one way DL return was much less expensive than a round trip on UA (and DL avoided connecting at ORD).
Old Dec 20, 2006, 12:03 pm

Generally a few times a year - either because of pricing or schedule. Haven't done back to back's in a long time though...

Cheers,
Jeff
Old Dec 20, 2006, 12:12 pm
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
Often. Many airlines now offer one-way pricing, including the one I currently use most regularly (SK). It gives far greater flexibility.
Old Dec 20, 2006, 12:16 pm
cpx

Programs: Many
never used two one ways... but in past, I've used two round trips
(one from the originating airport) and (one from the destination airport)

to create two round trips I can use with my timings/days at a lower cost.
(especially getting over the saturday night's stay rule -this was in past)

Recently.. I havent used two oneways or two roundtrips..
Old Dec 20, 2006, 12:16 pm

Programs: UA 1P MM, SPG Lifetime Gold
Are you asking domestic or international? For most business travelers, I would venture to say that domestic 1 ways are not that unusual. Flying up and down the CA coast, I'll take whatever is most convenient - UA, AA, AS, or even WN.

Internationally, I've never done it and probably wouldn't even consider it. I would book maybe a UA out and LH/SQ or other *A back, but that would be under 1 ticket and not 2 one ways.
Old Dec 20, 2006, 2:51 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Lots of times. Domestic and shorthaul fares are all one-way in this part of the world.
Old Dec 20, 2006, 3:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
More times than I can count - for all sorts of reasons. On WN, I book 'em that way for maximum flexibility. On the majors, I'm sometimes doing them to get a multi-city trip. Or, I'll have a business trip where I'm 100% certain of my outbound but uncertain of the return. So I'll buy lowest restricted coach fare out and lowest refundable back.

Thankfully, the legacy carriers have begun to see the light a bit: on most of them, it now possible and reasonable to book one-way tickets.
Old Dec 20, 2006, 5:17 pm
tjl
Original Poster

Programs: AS,WN,UA,B6,hotels
Originally Posted by pinniped
Thankfully, the legacy carriers have begun to see the light a bit: on most of them, it now possible and reasonable to book one-way tickets.
Yes, I noticed that recently also. It seems less likely now to find that a one-way costs more than a round trip including that one-way, and more likely now that a round trip costs the same as two one-ways that compose the round trip.
Old Dec 20, 2006, 5:28 pm

Programs: UA, bmi, AA, CO, DL, B6, AMEX, Hertz, Most Hotels
LGA - PBI ...All The Time

I'd say at least my last 3 trips and my next one (in Feb) have been split.

Recently, the legs have been split between Delta and B6. Usually, the prices are the same on both airlines.($59/ow earlier this month or $69/ow for upcoming Feb trips). So it's just a matter of who has the better flight times on my travel days.

Before AA drastically cut it's scheduled flights to PBI, it too was a frequent option.
Old Dec 20, 2006, 6:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Exp|VA Platinum
Everytime I take a domestic flight its two one ways.
Old Dec 20, 2006, 6:52 pm

Several times I have done open-jaw itineraries with low-cost carriers on European trips.
Old Dec 20, 2006, 9:16 pm

Many times, usually due to scheduling and sometimes due to pricing:

F9 to SEA and DL or AA back to BNA, very frequently (this is how I have status on all three without a high tier on any one)

UA from MSP to BUR (wife was having emergency surgery in Pasadena and I didn't want to have to rent a car at LAX to go to the hospital, got a ride with a friend), then NW back from LAX to MSP

DL from MSP-MCO and CO back to MSP, pricing was better than NW at the time (note the SkyTeam theme though)

This can actually work out very well, especially if you can stay within an alliance and keep your miles in one basket.
Old Dec 20, 2006, 10:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum, 1MM
More so overseas than here in the US.
Old Dec 21, 2006, 12:21 am

Programs: AA EXP/2 MM
Never.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.