FA moves 'chatty' pass. to sit beside me

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FA moves 'chatty' pass. to sit beside me

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16, 2006, 2:14 pm

Originally Posted by s80dude
Nail polish use is prohibted on board the airplane because it is flammable. The crew should have asked the woman to put the polish away immediately.
I am allergic to the smell of this thread. Can I be moved up front??
Old Dec 16, 2006, 2:15 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA/CO(1K-PLT), AA(PLT), QR, EK, Marriott(PLT), Hilton(DMND)
Originally Posted by bmxbboy
First; I am not complaining. I'm just saying!
FL1586 LAX-YYZ yesterday. I was sitting in business and moved to a row behind me so a family with baby could stretch out. Meal service happened, then I tried to go to sleep.
Shortly after I was poked and awaken by a lady sitting besdie me; in what was an empty seat. Yes, the passenger woke me up.
Apparently some other lady in coach was painting her nails - and this lady was alergic to the smell. An FA moved her up into business class. For the final 2 hours of the flight - she talked to me non-stop. It was annoying. I tried to give an indication I wanted to sleep - but she seem more interested in chatting. The #1 on the flight apologized profusely to me. Oh well. Just sharring.

I would have pulled the blanket over my body, put both arms under it, looked at her and said "I'm going to (entertain myself) now" then would have closed my eyes. That would have cut the conversation short in a hurry.

Last edited by Plato90s; Dec 16, 2006 at 3:19 pm
Old Dec 16, 2006, 3:00 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium
You are under no responsibility to entertain your seatmate. Be polite about it, but there are about 100 polite ways to cut off the conversation if you want to.
Old Dec 16, 2006, 3:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United, American, Delta, Hyatt, Hilton, Hertz, Marriott
First; I am not complaining. I'm just saying!
FL1586 LAX-YYZ yesterday. I was sitting in business and moved to a row behind me so a family with baby could stretch out. Meal service happened, then I tried to go to sleep.
Shortly after I was poked and awaken by a lady sitting besdie me; in what was an empty seat. Yes, the passenger woke me up.
Apparently some other lady in coach was painting her nails - and this lady was alergic to the smell. An FA moved her up into business class. For the final 2 hours of the flight - she talked to me non-stop. It was annoying. I tried to give an indication I wanted to sleep - but she seem more interested in chatting. The #1 on the flight apologized profusely to me. Oh well. Just sharring.
Sounds like you were having an allergic reaction to that upgraded passenger; couldn't the FA do anything to help?
Old Dec 16, 2006, 3:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

[AA moderator hat on]

Since this is not specific to AA, it's being moved to TravelBuzz.

[AA moderator hat off]
Old Dec 16, 2006, 3:30 pm

Programs: AA Platinum 2.3MM (Lifetime PLT)
. . . I was poked and awaken by a lady sitting besdie me. . .Yes, the passenger woke me up.
If someone woke me up for other than a bona fide safety reason, I would, at the minimum, poke back.
Old Dec 16, 2006, 4:40 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3MM
Regarding nail polish on an airplane, in a lab environment you're required to work with the thinner (acetone) it in a fume hood. There's no way people should use it on a plane...
Old Dec 16, 2006, 4:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage EXP, HHonors DIA, Fairmont GLD they make me feel special!
I tried many of those reasons to try and make her leave me alone. She was oblivousious. Oh well.
Old Dec 16, 2006, 5:05 pm

I had no idea that nail polish was verboten on a plane!! Back when we were allowed to take an entire CASE of toiletries with us, I'm sure that I had nail polish on me, but it did not make the cut when I was forced to prioritize what liquids were going into my freedom bag.

I never used it on a plane though -- mostly for the smell, but also for the highly imminent turbulence (putting polish on your non-dominant hand is tricky enough on a steady surface!). However, this one time, the lady in the aisle of my row decided to give herself a pedicure on the plane... we were in the back of some NW plane with an empty middle and she balanced her feet on the middle tray table to do the job... .

I've been wary of touching tray tables ever since!!!
Old Dec 16, 2006, 5:16 pm
Suspended

I have this brilliant suggestion. In the future, you could nicely tell the lady that you really want to sleep on the flight and you're not interested in having a conversation. Not sure why you didn't do that, yet you feel the need to make a post about it.
Old Dec 16, 2006, 5:17 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1.5MM, Asiana Club Silver, KE Morning Calm, Hyatt Platinum, Amtrak Select
Here's a tried and true method (works well if you are of Asian descent):

I pretend that I don't know English! ^

Works all the time on those trips to the Carribbean and Mexico, when those Bible toting people try to pursuade me into becoming Christian!
Old Dec 16, 2006, 5:20 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 100k
The OP was asleep, and was poked awake simply to be talked at That is outrageous ! No politeness necessary - indeed possibly counter-productive. In your place I would have been very curt.
Old Dec 16, 2006, 5:27 pm

Originally Posted by PTravel
"I'm sorry . . . I'm not feeling well and don't want to chat. I'm sure you understand." [Put on Bose headphones, turn away, and ignore nuisance]
Start licking yourself and meowing like a cat. Works like a charm.
Old Dec 16, 2006, 5:51 pm

Programs: Northwest Platinum
Originally Posted by kebosabi
Here's a tried and true method (works well if you are of Asian descent):

I pretend that I don't know English! ^

Works all the time on those trips to the Carribbean and Mexico, when those Bible toting people try to pursuade me into becoming Christian!
Or for anyone for that matter.

No hablo ingles.

Only problem being the person may speak spanish.
Old Dec 16, 2006, 6:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
You likely will never see her again. Tell her to shut up and leave you alone. Why not?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.