Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Anyone ever been to a Space Shuttle launch at Kennedy in Florida?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Anyone ever been to a Space Shuttle launch at Kennedy in Florida?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 23, 2006, 7:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K; HH Gold; *Wood Gold
Slightly off topic--I was at the launch of the Deep Impact rocket two years ago. One of the greatest experiences of my life. Yes, it was loud, and it was amazing to see the rocket go up and away just as on tv, but it was in real life. I envy you; you'll never forget it.
Old Nov 23, 2006, 8:09 pm

I have not been present for any OP, but hope to in the future.
Old Nov 23, 2006, 8:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Retired :)
Originally Posted by Fly16
Slightly off topic--I was at the launch of the Deep Impact rocket two years ago. One of the greatest experiences of my life. Yes, it was loud, and it was amazing to see the rocket go up and away just as on tv, but it was in real life. I envy you; you'll never forget it.
Sometimes the rockets are louder than the shuttle... I've heard the reason is because the shuttle has a bigger launch pad that absorbs more of the noise.... I have no idea if that's true or not but it sounded good when I heard it.
Old Nov 23, 2006, 8:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WWF, Appalachian Mountain Club
Originally Posted by Traveller
Sometimes the rockets are louder than the shuttle... I've heard the reason is because the shuttle has a bigger launch pad that absorbs more of the noise.... I have no idea if that's true or not but it sounded good when I heard it.
To deaden the noise of the shuttle when it launches, there is a water based noise supression system that dumps 900,000 gallons of water per minute onto the launch pad. It lowers the noise at the launch pad to a relatively quiet 143 decibels.

In perspective, the ambient noise in nature is about 60dB. The noise in your car when you are on the highway is about 80dB. A loud rock concert pushes 110dB. You will have permenamt hearing loss at 120dB.

More importantly than the decibels is the sound pressure level which is what will cause objects to shake off my walls.

I'm curious what the actual noise level will be at my home. I have a dB meter I'll break out that night.
Old Nov 23, 2006, 9:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by tkey75
To deaden the noise of the shuttle when it launches, there is a water based noise supression system that dumps 900,000 gallons of water per minute onto the launch pad. It lowers the noise at the launch pad to a relatively quiet 143 decibels.

In perspective, the ambient noise in nature is about 60dB. The noise in your car when you are on the highway is about 80dB. A loud rock concert pushes 110dB. You will have permenamt hearing loss at 120dB.

More importantly than the decibels is the sound pressure level which is what will cause objects to shake off my walls.
Decibels (dB) is a measurement of Sound Pressure Level (SPL). And dB readings are meaningless without a distance. The shuttle launch measured from my living room is approximately 0. I'd believe 143 at the base of the pad, where no humans are located. I'd bet an SPL measurement where the nearest people are would be in the 110 range. And I've been exposed to 120dB sounds with no hearing loss. I bet everyone has. dB exposure over time is what causes hearing damage.
Old Nov 23, 2006, 9:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CPRich
Decibels (dB) is a measurement of Sound Pressure Level (SPL). And dB readings are meaningless without a distance. The shuttle launch measured from my living room is approximately 0. I'd believe 143 at the base of the pad, where no humans are located. I'd bet an SPL measurement where the nearest people are would be in the 110 range. And I've been exposed to 120dB sounds with no hearing loss. I bet everyone has. dB exposure over time is what causes hearing damage.
Well, in general, dB is only a relative term. The question is dB what? [in our case, dBSPL] In your car with the window open, the pressure level is higher than what your dB meter will read. It is true hearing loss will happen over time, but few people will be exposed to a constant source of somthing producing sould levels of 120dB or higher. It's usually more of a transient noise. Likewise, you can look at the sun for a blink and not go blind. Stare at it for a minute and you have permenant retina damage.

I'm interested what my dB meter at my home (~5 miles from the launch pad) says. I'm guessing about 95-100 under A weighting and you likely close at 110+ C weighting.
Old Nov 24, 2006, 3:50 pm

Programs: UA 2P
Originally Posted by rje
A night launch is an absolutely spectacular event. You'll talk about it for years!
If it is clear it is possible to see the shuttle at night all the way up here near Washington (very low down on the horizon, but unmistakable)

The view can be good from Titusville - saw the launch of Apollo 12 from there way back when I was at the U of F.
Watching the moon rocket go was great but it was a leisurely affair. A shuttle launch is actually more spectacular!
Old Nov 24, 2006, 6:13 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
I've been in Fla for several launches, they were all delayed and I never saw it. I'll be down for the do on the 8th, if it's delayed a couple days we may make the trip up, otherwise I'm no longer going to try to schedule it around them anymore, I've been disappointed way too many times.

It's curretly set for:

STS-116
STS-116 will deliver a third truss segment, a SPACEHAB module and other key components during the shuttle's 20th mission to the International Space Station.
Launch Time: 9:38 p.m.

on the 7th.
Old Nov 24, 2006, 6:33 pm
Original Member, Moderator: Hotel Deals and MilesBuzz

Traveller, it wouldn't be a party without you.

BTW, if ANYONE is interested, I am hosting a lunch party at my home that evening, provided the launch goes as scheduled (ya never know until the last - literally, seconds). Please just RSVP so I know how to plan.

See this thread
Please PM details to me. I'll be in Orlando on the evening of December 7th and am planning to drive over to the coast to meet up with Ozstamps and view the launch.
Old Nov 25, 2006, 4:32 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Thai Silver, EK Blue
This is one of my dream topics, as seeing a shuttle launch with my own eyes is on top of my must do list.

One of the previous posts mentioned the sound suppression system by water, this is NASA link with some photos and explanation of it.
http://www.nasa.gov/missions/shuttle/f_watertest.html

Also both youtube and google video has some outstanding clips of various shuttle launches taken from a variety of cameras, the most interesting is the one from camera mounted on the fuel tank.
Old Nov 25, 2006, 12:05 pm

Programs: AA EXP (2MM), Marriott Tit
Watched one from 4F on a flight from MIA to LGA a few years ago.
Old Nov 27, 2006, 7:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have been nothing short of blessed to have spent most of my professional life in the space program. I've seen and worked at over a hundred launches and the fire is still in the belly! Here's an edited copy of my post from last June. (You obviously won't have to worry about thunderstorms in December.)

I've spent most of my career in the space program and have been at the Cape for my share of launches. I agree with the locations people have suggested. Virtually all of the Shuttle launches these days dock with the International Space Station, which is inclined in about a 53 degree orbit. So, the Shuttle flies north hugging the coastline as close as range safety will permit. It you can get close to Titusville, you will see more of the ascent than at Cape Canaveral or Cocoa Beach, which is south of the Kennedy Space Center. From the south, you'll generally be looking up the back end as it ascends away from you. From Titusville, the vehicle will ascend from right to left as you view it. Another reason to consider driving to Titusville is that this launch is from Complex 39B, which is closer to Titusville than 39A. You'll get a good look across the river and will probably see it leave the pad.

If you decide to drive from Cocoa Beach to Titusville, remember that thousands of your closest friends will we doing the same thing, so get out there VERY early. Getting there at 5-6:00 PM for a launch window that opens at 9:38 PM is not too early.

Download the ascent profile from either The NASA Website or SpaceflightNow so you'll be able to tell what's happening during the ascent. Bring a stopwatch and start it right at T-0 and you'll be able to predict when events happen. Even though the Challenger failure happened 20 years ago, I still count to "132" during a shuttle launch. "132" is the nominal number of seconds that the solid rocket boosters burn. (For this mission, the solids burn for 123 seconds.) During the burn of the solids, the crew has virtually no chance of aborting and landing safely. Also, bring a portable radio, because the local radio stations will be covering the launch. Spaceflightnow is also an excellent source of information on launch day. They have a reporter with a laptop in the control room who publishes a real-time blog. If you have wireless capability, bring your laptop or handheld with you. Another important milestone is that the crew goes to the launch pad about 2 1/2 hours before launch. The launch window is only five minutes, so if the crew hasn't arrived at the pad around 7:00 PM, they aren't going to launch that day.

I hope you stick with it. I've been involved in probably a hundred or more launches over the last 30 years and I still get pumped.
Old Nov 28, 2006, 9:33 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Plat
You're right. I am corrected, or confused . It's approx 17,000 feet (not miles - that's a looooooong way - apogee is only about 35 miles)

You were probably thinking of the speed -- the shuttle's orbital velocity is around 17,500 mph. ^
Old Nov 28, 2006, 10:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by intrepid720
You were probably thinking of the speed -- the shuttle's orbital velocity is around 17,500 mph. ^
Also correct, but I was thinking of altitude.
Old Dec 1, 2006, 8:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
Oops. Duplicate.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.